Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Hangar Queen Campaign
Delbert
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
AeroScale: 209 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2011 - 06:03 AM UTC
howdy..

working on the pin wash now.. i'm not the greatest at this technique but i'm trying to learn it. I plan to lighten up the paint a bit to tone it down..

laters.
Delbert
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2011 - 10:02 AM UTC
me again.

here is a new photo of the pigment fading I tried..

I used a mixture of faded blue and white pigments from the doc o'brians set from micromark.. I think it will come out ok with the final flatcoat and fading overspray.

Delbert
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2011 - 10:39 AM UTC
howdy everyone.. finished up the F4F-4 Wildcat, Tamiya kit in 1/48 scale.

the final steps were a clearcoat after the chalk fading, then an overspray of very well thinned basecoat lightened with white. I tried to achive a fading effect.

Here is a photo of the finished model.

here is a period photo of the aircraft I modeled.

and here is the photo of my model sent throu a black and white film filter

more photo's in the next post..
Delbert
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2011 - 10:47 AM UTC
okies here is some more photos of my F4F-4 Wildcat

I know most are afraid of closeups of models but here are a few.. so stand back.

Closeup showing how the wash brought out some of the engine details and the two paint colors

Yes these are the orignal tamiya armor plated decals. I used several coatings of solveset and the wash and chalk fading really makes it look like paint.

overall side view

3/4 side view

and a wing close up

there are more photos but I think this is enough for now.. LOL

so seriously tell me what everyone thinks.. I tried several new things with this model and I am wondering if I have achived a good fading technique I was trying for..

Delbert
RedwingNev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 911 posts
AeroScale: 415 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2011 - 08:34 PM UTC
Adam, loving that Liberator, not a variant you see modelled much.

Delbert, I love that close-up of the codes on the fuselage, looks like a photo of the real thing!
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
AeroScale: 563 posts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2011 - 01:27 AM UTC
Alright! 4 days remaining (officially, but I see people asking for extensions on other campaigns all the time...)

Delbert - just awesome on that Wildcat. Your paint detailing is really superb, and the B/W comparison is a great idea-- we should see that more often on these forums.

Rob - plenty of time for you to strip and refinish a few more kits.

Leo and Sebastian - All eyes are on you now. The last kits still going! Or did I just lose track-- is the Atlantic all buttoned up yet?

There were several who had started and posted earlier-- alpha_tango, Bigrip74, Cinzano, Gary Kato , Jmartine, and Woltersk-- who must have fell off. I suppose another Hangar Queen/ Getter Done campaign will catch them later.
(Sorry, just enjoying all these emoticons at my disposal)
Cheers!
-Sean H.

edit: If anyone passes MLD in the internet hallway, remind him to post his finals to the gallery!
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 674 posts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2011 - 03:06 AM UTC
Sean,

If this campaign will run again in 2012, I'm sure I can find a few to choose from.

I have the 48 scale FM Dornier Do24T and a Special Hobby 48 scale Avro Anson to do as two separate consignment builds and I just bourght the new Tamiya 32 scale Mustang.

My Boston, Hurricane and F16cj pix have been added to the gallery.
Rebilda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 248 posts
AeroScale: 123 posts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2011 - 03:13 AM UTC
Sean, don't make me nervous

Still ploughing on: attaching the dangly bits and spraying dull coat on the way. But she already stands on her own legs.

Anyway: this is going to be an awfully close shave. Maybe talk about that extension again???

Hope to post some pics soon!
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2011 - 04:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I suppose another Hangar Queen/ Getter Done campaign will catch them later.

Quoted Text

If this campaign will run again in 2012, I'm sure I can find a few to choose from.

Sam and I were only discussing this the other day and were wondering if there would be enough interest in running a Hangar Queen Campaign each year.

So would we all like to see a Hangar Queen 2 Campaign next year
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2011 - 08:44 AM UTC
Queens 2012?:

Well, there's the P-51 From Mustang Heaven, the PBJ from Anti-Shipping, the F-105 from Century Series, probably the P-40 from P-40 Workhorse, maybe even the F2H-2P from Korea. There's also an F-16C and an F-84E that are waiting to get finished. Not to mention at least 1 soft skin and a ship. I did get 2 done on this build so, yes, I'll be ready for another try...
Middle_Franconian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 279 posts
AeroScale: 239 posts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2011 - 09:17 AM UTC
Hello!

Quoted Text

Leo and Sebastian - All eyes are on you now. The last kits still going! Or did I just lose track-- is the Atlantic all buttoned up yet?

Nope. Far from being finished .

This is the current status:

The wings still need a grey upperside. But at least I have found a solution for the rendering of the landing lights.

I have found some paste gem (is that the correct expression?) which has the proper concave form for imitating landing lights. About 200 pcs. for only 2€. That should be sufficient for the next 198 Atlantics .

I hereby declare my retreat from the Hangar-Queen campaign... because of time constraints... makes me sad a little bit as I have experienced some great encouragement for the last weeks .

But I will start an own buildblog for the Atlantic in the Cold War section of the forum. Would be great if someone of you drops in sometimes.

Keep up the excellent work in this campaign!

Servus,

Sebastian

29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2011 - 10:37 AM UTC
I would enlist in another 'Hanger Queen' campaign, a #2 in 2012, or maybe if there was an interest to make it an annual campaign event. Some of the few I could choose from, have been put on the shelf for anything up to three years, since they first saw light or even the glue. 'Sonia' a Ki-51 has been on and off over three years, to name just one example.

Too many contract and consignment builds, for people and organizations, puts a hold on most of my own collection builds, the kit stash is taking over to many shelves and cupboards.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2011 - 10:58 AM UTC
Oh Sebastian, you're sooooo close! There's already been talk of an extension and it's such a shame not to see that beautiful monster finished. I'll be looking for progress wherever you choose to post it
Rebilda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 - 08:07 PM UTC
Middle_F, what the heck!
Keep going, man, I seen you do it before! I want Peter Petersens mount in the gallery

I call this one done. Shot a quick pic this morning with my morning tea still steaming:

Will have to wait for the sun for the gallery shot. Pi*+ing cats and dogs today over here....

Now lets start lobbying for that extension so my buddy can get that ribbon, too!!!
And you, my friend, get cracking, or I will come north and slap the living daylights out of you with one of your Atlantic-wings
RedwingNev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 911 posts
AeroScale: 415 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 - 09:02 PM UTC
I'd definately be back for Hangar Queens 2012

windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 02:43 AM UTC
Well done, Leo. Looking forward to the gallery photos. Really nice finishes: patinas, satins, detail painting and so on. Your work really shows.

I'm all for delaying the awards, if Sebastian can finish in another week (or 2?)-- anyone worried about getting their ribbon late? Does it detract from your efforts here? Of course, as I say this, it's my first time leading a campaign, and I don't know the ribbon awarding process. I'm just saying what I've seen before in other campaigns. (Middle_F, I'm reminded of a children's song that ends, "Hi Ho the Dairio, the cheese stands alone.")

As for a Hangar Queen 2012, I suppose I can post a new thread to propose it and drum up interest, since the Aeroscale campaigns are forming for mid-2012 already. Also, since grayghost_666 formed this campaign and is back from heart surgery, I don't know if he wants to lead the new one again, or if I should take it from the "get go".

cheers!
-Sean.
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 04:17 AM UTC
I'm more than happy to officially extend the campaign a couple of weeks even if its just to see that Atlantic finished. but I'll need to know in the next 24 hours as I think I'll need to change the deadline before it finishes

Sean I'll PM you some instructions on how to award the ribbons when the campaign finishes as they can't be award until after then anyway.

As for Hangar Queen 2 Sam and I were thinking of running it for a year starting the 1st Jan and finishing 31st Dec. I'm sure there are plenty of members out there that has an unfinished project on the shelf or in a box (*cough* Merlin *cough* ) and if we can't find a volunteer leader I'd be happy to lead the way
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 04:24 AM UTC
I'd be happy to lead the 2012 Hanger Queen 2 if no one else volunteers for the task.
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 10:01 AM UTC
Sebastian and I corresponded, and the Atlantic will be finished after this campaign-- so anyone else? One last day!
Rob, are you thinking of squeezing in one more?

It sounds like Sam and Allen already had HQ2 in the works! It's certainly a fun campaign to be a part of-- lots of participation and a wide range of builds! I'm willing to let someone else lead that next one, if they want to more than I do.

Thanks again!
-Sean.
GaryKato
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
AeroScale: 163 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 10:16 AM UTC
My Hangar Queens are staying firmly in their hangar. *sigh*
Delbert
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 12:45 PM UTC
Hi guys, me again..

I know i've posted quite a few photos of my little build, but here are a couple of more, because I did a couple of tweaks to the model.

I cleared up the glass with thinner on a q-tip and then coated it with some future.

I mixed up another batch of faded basecolor and very carefully in severaly very light applications resprayed the "fingerprint" on the left wing star until it blended in with the rest of the fading..

The light part on the wing was very hard to see on the model, the photo brought it out.. LOL

its been a fun campaign.

thanks all

Delbert
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 02:55 PM UTC
Am beink ready for Hangar Queen II with Bolshoi Russian again:

windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2011 - 01:31 AM UTC
Now that I know how they all turn out, it sure is cool to go back through the thread and see how our masterpieces got there!

Today's the 15th! Last chance, MLD and Rebilda to get those gallery photos in! Your tea must have cooled by now-- did the rain ever stop?

thanks again,
Sean.
Rebilda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2011 - 03:32 AM UTC
Well, yeah it did, but only today when I was at work. I was aiming for tomorrow to catch some sun and post those, that OK with you? If not I'll just slap that quick-pic into the gallery and post some nice ones later on.

I'd be happy for you to lead that HQ2, as I've quite frankly really loved the way you hung on to our builds and kept track of everything.
Maybe it's beginner's luck (you'll say, I know) but I shure as heck think you'll make an awesome HQ2 leader!!
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2011 - 03:55 AM UTC
Wait for the nice weather and get your photo in then I'm sure you'll still get your award as we've all seen the fine kit that your have presented us with

I've Started the Interest thread for HQ2