Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Hangar Queen Campaign
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
AeroScale: 563 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2011 - 02:02 AM UTC
Nicely done, Jessie.
That's a good looking plane. (At least I don't see any faults in the bondo in the photos! ) That should work well for you.
-Sean.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2011 - 03:04 AM UTC
Oh, they're definitely there. They just don't show up at that resolution, but gloss white is unforgiving; the tiniest little flaw can be instantly seen.

J
vertigo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 388 posts
AeroScale: 225 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2011 - 05:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Vertigo, what's the story with new formula Klear? is there older stock in the back of the shelf of some smaller store that you could find? Here in the U.S. I use Future floor polish-- that's the same product, but European, right? I bought my bottle 10 years ago though-- modeling doesn't use as much as a kitchen floor. So any changes to the formula are news to me.
Either way, I'm glad to hear of your progress and eager to see some pics.
thanks,
Sean.

If the old stuff is in stock anywhere around here it's the most well guarded secret in the nation; I've checked and come up empty everywhere. I didn't find the new stuff all that impressive; not very glossy and I'm having a hard time with the smell.

I've switched to Vallejo Gloss Varnish, it glosses in just one coat and whilst it has a four hour recommended dry time I don't mind due to the wonderful results.
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2011 - 05:28 AM UTC
I have never had very good result with Future personally.. I find using Gloss Clear gives me good results everytime.
Removed by original poster on 06/08/11 - 21:11:21 (GMT).
Middle_Franconian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 279 posts
AeroScale: 239 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 10:13 AM UTC
Nice work Jessie!

And the BASIC style description... Could you please translate that into C ??
BTW: what is this BONDO?

At the moment, I do not have any news from my Atlantic. I have glued the wings together and try to sand the seams. Boring! I have to overcome the temptation to start my Revell 1:72 Saab Draken. But this model is

Servus,

Sebastian
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 10:24 AM UTC
Bondo is an auto body putty made by 3M. The kind I like to use is the one part red acetone-based filler which is very similar to Squadron's famous "Green stuff". It's less expensive and comes in a tube 3 times the size of the Squadron putty.
Middle_Franconian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2011 - 10:03 AM UTC
Hi!

Jessie, thanks for the reply!

Some further work on my Atlantic is done. The wings are finished... almost.
A bit of one of the exhausts broke off at the end

It took a bit of time to sand the air brakes on the top of the wing until they blend into the surface.

I do not really like the option to build air brakes in extended position. At many planes extended air brakes are only visible during flight or landing and then also with the flaps lowered (which are usually not extendable in most kits:( ). I have always difficuties to glue them right in... ok, maybe I am simply too negligent when it comes to glueing...

But finally the wings are done:

At the moment I am airbrushing the cockpit parts and the nose gear bays. Then I can glue the forward fuselage together. I will post the result in soon.

Servus,

Sebastian
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2011 - 01:08 AM UTC
Thanks, Warren and Jessie.
Sebastian, I thought your sanding turned out well, although boring . You didn't lose the detail on the air breaks.
Here's an update on my progress:
SetSponsons-20110611-1322.jpg
This was an agonizing process to check the angles from all sides while trying not to move everything. I think it turned out well considering.
SponsonsAttached-20110612-0658.jpg
Now, looking at these photos, I see the nose could use more sanding. I'm not usually one for gloss finishes, as you can see.
-Sean.
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 03:43 AM UTC
As of tomorrow there will be 3 months left in this campaign! Tomorrow I'll PM those of you who have enlisted but haven't posted anything on this thread yet (in the 9 months that this has been running ).
Keep having fun!
thanks,
Sean.
Middle_Franconian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 09:56 AM UTC
Only 3 months left? Bwaaaah! I have to hurry up...

A brief update regarding my Atlantic:
I am about to assemble the fuselage. This means glueing the cockpit and the radar mounting into to the front fuselage halves. Then I will close the cockpit and sanding can begin...

BTW:
@ Sean, would it be possible for me to add the Hangar Queen banner to my signature and how can I do that? I want to make some advertisement for our bunch of heroes here...

Servus,

Sebastian
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 10:17 AM UTC
Sebastian,
the banner is attached in your profile. You'd have to copy the address by right-clicking your mouse on my banner and grab the address (it's on Flickr). It took me a few tries to get it, but please feel free to use it! Advertising is good!
thanks,
Sean.
Middle_Franconian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 10:28 AM UTC
Done!

Thanks a lot for your fast reply, Sean .

Have to go to bed now... further asssembling of my Hangar Queen has to wait until tomorrow.

Servus,

Sebastian
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 10:50 AM UTC
@ Sebastian, you are doing well my friend. I have been tempted by this kit before but have resisted so far..

Keep at it my friend. I want to see the nice, colourful colour scheme.
Middle_Franconian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 - 09:19 AM UTC
Thanks Warren! I think you should join me with building your Atlantic now !

I have to admit that I am a little bit proud of myself that I have tackled this kit again (it laid in the box for almost 7 years....). That gives me the strength to push things forward and makes me happy. And being happy is the main aim of modelling, isnīt it? And it is interesting that watching a Bundesmarine movie of the early 70īs triggered this build again.

Regarding the color scheme: well, at a first glance it merely consists of bluegrey on the upper surfaces and light grey (almost white) on the lower surfaces. But it is quite more than that, there are a lot of deicing mats and billions of antenna covers . And the grey and white shows many different shades due to weathering. This means a lot of masking. Thus I am prepared with a lot of Tamiya tape in stock.

Servus,

Sebastian
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 - 09:50 AM UTC
I see. I thought this was the one with the colourful scheme. The one I am thinking of must be a later boxing.

I have not got an Atlantic as yet Sebastian. I am right into WW1 subjects at the moment.
Middle_Franconian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2011 - 08:30 AM UTC
Hmmmm... yes, the current Revell Atlantic reboxing includes a German Atlantic in a special scheme with a big German flag on the fuselage.

My kit is the first issue. I want to depict an Atlantic which flew approx. in the mid-1980īs. Thatīs my Cold-War-Addiction, I can not resist...

Servus,

Sebastian
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2011 - 08:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hmmmm... yes, the current Revell Atlantic reboxing includes a German Atlantic in a special scheme with a big German flag on the fuselage.

My kit is the first issue. I want to depict an Atlantic which flew approx. in the mid-1980īs. Thatīs my Cold-War-Addiction, I can not resist...

Servus,

Sebastian

One must feed one's addictions occasionally.
Rebilda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 248 posts
AeroScale: 123 posts
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2011 - 08:09 AM UTC
MiddleEff, my man!!!!!!

Awesome work on that kit. Remember you starting it back in my old man cave at my parents'. Jeeezz, that were the days of yore....

Notice? We 're geeting old...

But that just makes us wiser and better regarding our addiction I guess?!

Anyways, really bold of you to plunge into that adventure. Mustn't think of all the skelettons I got in my cellar....

Maybe I'll join y'all when I'm done with Afterburners?

Cu tomorrow, my man!

Rebilda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2011 - 08:12 AM UTC
Jessie, really you're a heroine with your stoic attitude on sanding that monster of yours!
Looking real hot allready!!

Notice you live in BC. Will be there this autumn. You know any good hobbyshops somewhere there I can visit?

Greetings from Bavaria
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2011 - 08:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jessie, really you're a heroine with your stoic attitude on sanding that monster of yours!
Looking real hot allready!!

Notice you live in BC. Will be there this autumn. You know any good hobbyshops somewhere there I can visit?

Greetings from Bavaria

Well if I don't, it'll look horrible, won't it?

I live in Vancouver so I can only tell you about the shops there. My favourites are :
Burnaby Hobbies at Royal Oak and Rumble in Burnaby
Imperial Hobbies on No. 3 Rd in Richmond
Magic Box Hobbies in Kerrisdale
There's also Aviation World out by the airport. They don't have plastic kits anymore, but they have tons of books, die casts and other airliner stuff

IPMS Vancouver meets Sept 16, Oct 21 and the Fall show wil be Oct 8th.

If you're going to Victoria, there's
BC Shaver Shop on Fort Street.

Jessica
Rebilda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2011 - 10:28 AM UTC
Woah, that's a big help! And complete with adresses and links and all!

Really, thanks so very much!

Greetings
Middle_Franconian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2011 - 10:43 AM UTC
Leo, please keep in mind that you are limited in space and weight of your luggage when flying back from Canada!

Please feel free to join the campaign with your 1:35 Trumpeter Mi-24 Hind. Or you Hasegawa 1:72 He-111. Or your 1:32 Revell Tornado... or... I am sure that I will find something else. You are welcome at any time! I think the others would also agree...

Servus,

Sebastian
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2011 - 10:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Leo, please keep in mind that you are limited in space and weight of your luggage when flying back from Canada!

There's always Fed Ex, Purolator, Canada Post...

windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2011 - 11:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Leo, ...
Please feel free to join the campaign with your 1:35 Trumpeter Mi-24 Hind. Or you Hasegawa 1:72 He-111. Or your 1:32 Revell Tornado... or... I am sure that I will find something else. You are welcome at any time! I think the others would also agree

I do agree! Nudge, nudge. There are 3 months left. Plenty of time.
-Sean.