Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Hangar Queen Campaign
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 09:16 AM UTC
Hi all! I've got a few days off and, rather than want to work on any of the things I'm actually already enlisted with, I wanted to pull out something that's been sitting on the started pile.

Anyway, given what's been going on in the news lately, I thought something Japanese might be inspiring. And I've got just the thing!:

It's the Tamiya 1/32 A6M2 Zero. Got the cockpit/fuselage done but then stopped for some reason. Building it pretty much straight from the box (included Tamiya's recommended paints and mixes) but using decals from an old Tomy (I think) kit to do one of Saburo Sakai's birds. I have the Master Box famous pilots set and plan to do an airplane for each of them. I'm even trying to make all the working parts work! We'll see...

Hope this qualifies for this campaign! Looking forward to getting back to it!

Michael
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 09:31 AM UTC
Nice to see you in on this one as well Mike. You're zero qualifies. If you are free tomorrow night, swing by Centennials meeting. I'm sure there are several in the club that would like to touch base with you again. Looking forward to seeing the zero progress.. "Q"
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 09:34 AM UTC
Man, you're in more of these things than I even am!

Not too sure about tomorrow night, I'm in recovery from a surgical procedure and have to go back to the sawbones for a follow-up tomorrow. We'll see how that goes.

Thanks though!

Mike
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 10:00 AM UTC
Michael, Matt is keeping out of trouble so this site is doing its job. BTW what kept you from finishing the ZEKE and what is that in the rear deck area (looks like some glue melted something)?

Bob
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 10:08 AM UTC
Bob,

1. Matt? Keeping out of trouble? Are we talking about the same guy?!

2. Nothing kept me from working on the Zero but my congenital lack of focus. The kit is fine and I'm glad to have the excuse to get back to it!

3. The stuff on the back deck behind the cockpit is Mr. Surfacer (kinda blobbed it on). When I looked at the kit again I noticed a seam there that I'm trying to get rid of. The only seam on the model so far, REALLY nice engineering!

Michael
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 10:24 AM UTC
Michael,

Hey! we have not seen him in the news have we?

I have had to opportunity to purchase Zeros and Zekes for around $8-$10 but cannot get into the mood to build one.

Bob
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 11:44 AM UTC
Actually, I live in the same city as Matt and there are some mighty unexplained events going on around here...

You don't mean you've had the chance to buy Tamiya 1/32 Zeros for $8-10, do you? I'd sure snap 'em up if I were you, it's a great kit!

Michael
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 01:41 PM UTC
NOPE. 1/48 is the preferred scale in my room.

Bob
mykroft
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 270 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 04:17 PM UTC
Guess I should join this build too. Up for consideration is a Liberator C.IX, aka an R3Y Privateer from the Matchbox kit. Started this about a year ago and abandoned it due to fit issues. But I've improved my filling/sanding skills a lot over the last year so I pulled it out yesterday and started up again.

Revell R3Y-1 Privateer 1/72 by mawz_models, on Flickr

The pic is after a bit of work post-restart, but not much. I mounted the wings and stabilizers yesterday and did a bit off filling before I took the shot.
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 05:26 PM UTC
Adam, what colors were you going to do this bird in?

Bob
mykroft
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 12:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Adam, what colors were you going to do this bird in?

Bob

It'll be an RAF example in bare metal, IIRC all 34 of the RY-3's were bare metal regardless of whether they were in USN, USAAF or RAF service.
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
AeroScale: 563 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 12:58 AM UTC
I'm making a list and checking it twice...
Welcome Michael and Adam! Great looking starts.
The cockpit of the Zero really captures ones attention, and the Privateer RY-3 is a cool off-the-beaten-path subject ("all 34", he says) Glad to see them getting the attention they deserve.
-Sean.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 02:51 AM UTC
OK, I'll go with the RY-3. The R3Y-1 is something all together different.
P3Y-1 Tradewind
I'd prefer to build it as the PB4Y-2, but the Matchbox kit has almost as many pieces as a real PB4Y-2
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 03:26 AM UTC
Mark, did I miss something? Are you going to build a 1/72 RY-3 Privateer alongside Mykroft? We're still waiting to see how the Testors Dauntless and the Arifix Skyhawk come out.
You're a busy man, but as long as you're having fun, go with it!

Remember, everyone, as you get to the end of your build, the gallery is here .
thanks,
Sean.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 04:03 AM UTC
Yea, you missed something... the Matchbox PB4Y-2 is still safely in the box. doesn't qualify as a Hanger Queen yet.. I've got a few decals in hand to try to salvage the SBD, the A4D-1 needs taping and painting for the exhaust can and the anti glare panel.

It's the rest of my projects that seem to be turning into Hanger Queens....
JMartine
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
AeroScale: 96 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2011 - 08:50 AM UTC
I finally got back to the bench; working on the pit/seat, adding some details, erasing some details.. lol.. finally giving a bunch of sub-assemblies a primer coat this weekend. Will post pics next week
Delbert
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
AeroScale: 209 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2011 - 09:02 AM UTC
Howdy all

got some more paint on the project I'm trying to finish for this build.. that I didn't finish for another build a while back..

Front view showing dividing line

top view showing my paint..

Close up view of the dividing line... I need to work on the curves a bit as its not all that sharp a line..

Paint went on very good though..
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2011 - 11:06 AM UTC
Thanks, Mark, for clearing that up!
Nice to see progress, James and Delbert.
I don't think that paint line is so bad, Delbert. I would have to look back to see what scale you're working in, but can't you scrape that roughness back with an X-acto? Or if it's too large, paint it back with the lower color by hand?
Thanks for posting!
-Sean
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2011 - 07:00 PM UTC
Greetings fellow procrastinators... that was procrastinators.. ahem!

Anyway, here is my entry for the Hanger Queen Campaign. This model has been a queen for about 4 years now and I will hopefully finish it in the next few days.. (wishful thinking? We will see!)

It is Fujimi's 1/72 Westland Sea-King in Flying Tigers livery. I originally got it as part of a small collection I bought.

Keep up the good work..

Warren
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Monday, April 04, 2011 - 01:33 AM UTC
Got back to my list (here at work-- the home computer is primarily the wifey's).
Delbert, I didn't have you on there, so welcome aboard!! (unless I missed you previously).
Conversely, Warren, you already showed us somewhere earlier what you were building, but I don't recall the canopy masks, so I'll call that an in-progress photo.
I'm back up to speed now, and enjoying seeing everyone's work!
Thanks for posting,
-Sean.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, April 04, 2011 - 04:46 AM UTC
Made lots of progress on HQ#2 (Airfix 1/72 A4D-1) this last week. Three trips to the paint shop, 1 failed try on the anti glare panel, 2 good shot on new anti glare panel, 3, shot red on the intake edges. Can't decide it I need to do a touvh up on the gloss white or wade straight into decals......

A little progress on HQ#1 (Hawk 1/72 SBD-5). Using Microset(?) got the remaining decals covered over. Installed the wing walk decals OK, got the star and bar on both sides of the fuselage. I have a Kingfisher decal sheet I could take the wing star and bars off of, just leaves one side decal that I can't fake, yet.
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Monday, April 04, 2011 - 08:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Got back to my list (here at work-- the home computer is primarily the wifey's).
Delbert, I didn't have you on there, so welcome aboard!! (unless I missed you previously).
Conversely, Warren, you already showed us somewhere earlier what you were building, but I don't recall the canopy masks, so I'll call that an in-progress photo.
I'm back up to speed now, and enjoying seeing everyone's work!
Thanks for posting,
-Sean.

Derrr... shows you what retiring from work can do to your mind.. I think I may be little early to retire..
mykroft
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2011 - 03:38 AM UTC
The RY-3 (yes, I did get the designation right this time ;-) ) is making slow but steady progress.

Revell RY-3 Privateer 1/72 by mawz_models, on Flickr

Next step is a shot of primer to check which seams still need work.
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2011 - 05:05 AM UTC
Looks good to me, Adam. Slow but steady progress is still progress! I see you did quite a bit of modifying-- closing up the upper turrets and some big patching on the side. Nice.
thanks for posting!
-Sean.
Torchy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,016 posts
AeroScale: 475 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2011 - 05:25 AM UTC
Mrs Torch saw two longbows fly past her office last week and as she loves a helo I thought I'd finish this so she can put it on her window sill at work.