Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Hangar Queen Campaign
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2011 - 09:29 AM UTC
I'll have to kick some of my 1/48 fighter models off their shelf. I think that the local Air Cadets will be getting a visit from me sometime soon, with a box of donations
Middle_Franconian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 279 posts
AeroScale: 239 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2011 - 05:00 AM UTC
Hi!

I have decided to paint the wings and the fuselage seperately. To have a good fit I reworked the wing attachment. For better stability I have added some pins made from stretched sprue... no precision engineering, but serves the pupose:

@ Jessie: btw, who is that girl on your avatar? Me and Rebilda have been guessing for a while...

Servus,

Sebastian
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
AeroScale: 563 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2011 - 10:04 AM UTC
I've wanted to comment on that for a while-- isn't that Princess Buttercup from the hilarious movie The Princess Bride? Ha ha
-Sean
Oh, yeah, and one month to go, remember!
Gary, don't forget your little 1/200 scale entries! Can't wait to see those develop!
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2011 - 04:03 PM UTC
Yes, it's Princess Buttercup. I don't quite look like her (her hair is blonde)
RedwingNev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 911 posts
AeroScale: 415 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2011 - 07:44 PM UTC
Got quite a bit done the last few days (going back on shifts does have its upsides!)

Sprayed the light ghost grey base coat, then used blue-tac sausages to mark out the camo pattern as my freehand airbrushing skills aren't up to it

Then sprayed the dark ghost grey, removed the masking, et voila!

Next up, the metallic rear section!

@ Jessie - have you thought about using Clearfix or somesuch to fill in the gap with the missing window?
SellSword
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 167 posts
AeroScale: 141 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2011 - 01:35 PM UTC
@Sebastian: A werder win is always glorious in my eyes! Your build is coming along, but now it's getting close to the deadline! I actually find I work better with a bit of pressure on me... keep at it, can't wait to se it done!

As for mine, I'm still waiting for the crosses to come with the post and I have 13 minor pieces to attach and detail paint to do. I'm trying to finish by friday so I can show her off to the boys at the local IPMS meeting...
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 16, 2011 - 08:52 AM UTC
Ray - I like a challenge. Go to it, man!
Neil - I've never done a modern camouflage like that, but yours looks awesome, and I'm tempted to try one sometime!
Jessie - I use MicroScale "Micro Kristal Klear" to form small windows. It's water-based, so it's okay over paint. Here in this photo (accidentally focused on the background items, but great for this topic) is my bottle. You just coat the window edges, then using a toothpick, pull it across the opening. I used it on the oval side windows in this TBF (after I took this pic). It's not perfectly clear, but functional, especially with odd-sized openings or a case like yours, assuming you can live with the rattle of the lost piece inside.
Tailbottom-20110804-2144.jpg
Keep 'em coming!
-Sean.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, August 16, 2011 - 04:00 PM UTC
I was a little concerned about using Krysial Klear given the size of the opening but it appears to be working so far...
RedwingNev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 911 posts
AeroScale: 415 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2011 - 09:09 PM UTC
2 nights decaling gets me to this stage - sooooooo many stencils!!

The next time I show this, it should be finished - once all stencils, details, touch-ups etc are done. 90% down, 90% to go as they say.
Rebilda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 248 posts
AeroScale: 123 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 18, 2011 - 02:53 AM UTC
Sean: congrats on finishing!

@Jessie: what I always do before removing masking on canopies I lightly trace the masking paper with a dull knife or similar to separate the paint on the tape from the tape on the frames. Works really well!

@Middle-F.: My man, power trough! You'll get there! Brought home enough Peroni-Beer from my vacation to give you a boost on Saturday! Maybe we can tweak the fit of the wings a little more if need be. You know my collection of burrs!

Keep on working guys. Got an F-15E lying around ready for decalling but haven't touched it for months. Would that qualify for hangar queen? Maybe I can still chip in?
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, August 18, 2011 - 03:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

@Jessie: what I always do before removing masking on canopies I lightly trace the masking paper with a dull knife or similar to separate the paint on the tape from the tape on the frames. Works really well!

I did that, but it still chipped. I had used bare metal foil for the masking, and it had been on the model for probably a couple years before I took it off, so I had to scrape pretty hard.
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 18, 2011 - 04:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sean: congrats on finishing!

Keep on working guys. Got an F-15E lying around ready for decalling but haven't touched it for months. Would that qualify for hangar queen? Maybe I can still chip in?

Rebilda- Thanks and sure! I had to look up my own campaign's rules, but it only says "started". They don't say how far along it must be, so decalling counts! Come on in!
(When Grayghost set up this campaign, I see he left in a caveat to add rules as he goes along, so as his successor I claim that right too, if I had to. )
-Sean
Middle_Franconian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 279 posts
AeroScale: 239 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 18, 2011 - 07:45 AM UTC
Hi!

@ Rebilda: O Captain! My Captain! Yes please, join our community of hard-nosed modellers!

The Atlantic is ready for painting. The surface blemishes have been reduced to an accaptable minimum, so I will put on several ounces of white paint on that thing. And the fiddly parts will get some paint too. I will post the result of course.

Servus,

Sebastian
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2011 - 11:33 AM UTC
UCK is now wearing decals on the left side. These decals tear if you look at them too harshly, and I'm going to need to do some patching to replace a chunk that disintegrated (cleverly hidden from view behind the #2 propeller spinner). But it's looking colourful now.

Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2011 - 01:27 PM UTC
Roden's decals laugh at Solvaset. The cheatline cracked when I applied it over the two small protrusions on the right side of the nose. Not wanting to compound the damage, I left it to dry overnight.

Then today I hit it with the mother of all decal softeners: Boiling water. I used a clean dish cloth dipped into just-boiled water and pressed it down over the cracked decal.

It still needs touching up, but far less than it did before.
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2011 - 04:26 PM UTC
Boiling water? I had never heard of that. (But I've never built a Roden kit or struggled with such decals either.) I see it worked better. That's good to know!
thanks for posting.
Great work, everyone! Several weeks left to wrap these up. You people are making this campaign a great one!
-Sean.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, August 22, 2011 - 07:16 AM UTC
Putting the Cub on its feet involves several steps (ha!). First, install the upper portion in the landing gear bay. The gluing surfaces are quite small, so I ended up flooding the area with superglue and hitting it with hardener. Be careful not to trim off the mounting peg at the front of the piece (To the right in this picture. It fits into a cradle in the front of the gear bay.). It's very hard to tell it from the sprue attachment point.

Then install the lower gear leg. The soft plastic renders these parts vulnerable to breakage. Superglue to the rescure once again.

Now all 3 legs are installed. The nose gear leg is equally vulnerable to damage. You might wonder how I found this out...

Here's a quick peek into the cargo bay. I'm leaving the doors open just because.

Next, wheels, props and fiddly bits, then I'm a toutchup job away from being done.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, August 22, 2011 - 03:00 PM UTC
All right, I'm calling this one finished. A contest winner it will never be, but it's still impressive in its awkward way.

mykroft
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 270 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Monday, August 22, 2011 - 03:35 PM UTC
A quick no-photo update on the RY-3. It's got the main scheme done, just need to shoot the anti-glare panel. Decals are currently going on. Should have some pics soonish.
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 - 12:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

it's still impressive in its awkward way.

Well done, Jessie. It is ungainly, and since you've shown us the trouble spots, it's hard to look away from them, but overall it looks really nice. I especially like that it's the first one I've ever seen.

Mykroft, sounds good! Keep it coming-- the RY-3 Privateer is another one you don't see very often!

-Sean.

Edit: I just checked to verify Jessie's Cub was in the gallery, and I must say that we've got a good-looking gallery going. I predict they'll definitely want a feature for this one!
Remember it's http://gallery.kitmaker.net/showgallery.php/cat/25957 , or Photos/ AeroScale/ Aeroscale Campaigns/ 2010Campaigns/ Hangar Queen.
Delbert
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
AeroScale: 209 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 03:17 PM UTC
Hi guys..

A lot of great builds going on here.. I havn't been building as much as I should, but I'm really trying to get this one done.

Today I finished up rigging the antenna for my F4F-4 Wildcat.

First thing was the plastic peice that sat on top of the rear rudder broke off for the second time and instead of trying to glue it back on I replaced it with a bit of very stiff wire. and I know I have to touch up that area with the airbrush. :>

I used invisible thread for the the wiring. and superglued it in place from the rear to the antenna mount behind the cockpit. Then I superglued a bit of copper wire to the end of the invisible thread. cut to length, then drilled the hole for the wire just large enough for the copper wire and put it in the drill hole. thereby keeping tension on the antenna wire.

there are prob easier ways to do this, but this worked.. here are some pictures.

p.s. I'm using a new gallery system.. if you can't see the photos let me know.

later all
Delbert
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2011 - 12:06 AM UTC
Delbert,
That antenna looks great to me!
I never caught the maker of your kit though. I see the decals snugged down VERY tight. Looks really good.
thanks for the update!
-Sean.
Delbert
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
AeroScale: 209 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2011 - 08:18 AM UTC
thanks for the feedback Sean.

Its the Tamiya kit in 1/48.. I used solveset on the decals.. took several applications.

later
Delbert
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2011 - 08:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Its the Tamiya kit in 1/48.. I used solveset on the decals.. took several applications.

Let me guess: The extra-thick armour plated Tamiya kit decals?
Rebilda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 248 posts
AeroScale: 123 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2011 - 09:37 PM UTC
I use Decal softener in three strenghts from Daco Decals of Belgium. The soft one is for HAsegawa cherry-blossom-frail markings, Medium for the run of the mill ones. There's not a decal to this day I haven't bludgoened into uncomrpomising submission with the strong one. But might be a little hard to come by at your end of the world.
Really cool model, btw Jessie. And from were I'm standing there's nothing to complain about!

It's done I'm officially in.

Here's where I'm standing:

The metal:

Don't know if I'll make it, there's a gazillion maintenace markings to apply never mind the bombs.

Oh and I do not know if I'll ever be able to remove the canopy masking.
I know what you're thinking, Jessie: I TOLD YOU!!