Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Fighters Under The Midnight Sun
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 04:38 PM UTC
@VonCuda: wow!! That is a really nice one! Very impressed. The very sutle paint chipping is very good. How was this done? By fine brusk or by maskol?
Congratulations on the great result!

At everybody else:

Happy New Year and I hope you will finish your entries in time
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 01:55 AM UTC
I made it just for the deadline. I'm in a bit of a hurry to go and blast off some fireworks, so here's my dynamic duo, the two last entries for this campaign.

Bf-109 G6, built from Academy's G-14 kit. Built straight from the box, except for the addition of seatbelts made from left-over PE. Painted with mainly Xtracrylics. Finnish markings came from Techmod. Stencils are kit-supplied decals (as usual with Academy decals, they silvered despite the gloss surface. What could be more fun than touching up those dotted wing-walk marking? ) The number 7's on the rudder were painted on using masks cut from masking tape and the "476" code behind the canopy was painted free-hand.

And here's my LaGG-3, built from the roden kit as LG-3, a 35th series plane captured by the Finns.
Again, straight from the box, the only addtion being the seatbelts again. Painted with Xtracrylics for the bottom and vallejo for the upperside.

There, my work here is done.

Now I gotta go. I'll tell more about those planes next year ( :-)) , upload a pic of all my FUMS entries, answer any questions you may have, the usual chatter.

Happy new year!

JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 03:17 AM UTC
Greets Everyone!

What an exciting campaign, completions pouring in right up to the last!

An now, may I present the submission of your humble campaign host:

Now, you may notice something a bit odd. This Buffalo is not an experimental ducted fan-powered prototype. It is supposed to have a propeller. But sometime in the past week, while I have been sick or at work and/or dealing with family and friends and holiday stuff, my prop painted and decaled beautiful lil' prop has gone AWOL! And taking the plane to the photo booth, the antenea wire sprang off into the abyss!

So...do I get to count this complete and get my own campaign ribbon...

BTW, considering all the trials the past two weeks that have laid in snare before me, if those of you who completed yours on time don't mind, I am happy to allow any of our fellow participants who got started late or have run into time constraints to finish theirs as soon as able, and be considered successful entries.

Gentlemen, I am extremely pleased with the results of this campaign and thank each of you for your interest!

Sincerely,

Fred
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 03:52 AM UTC
Hi Fred

Quoted Text

Now, you may notice something a bit odd. This Buffalo is not an experimental ducted fan-powered prototype. It is supposed to have a propeller. But sometime in the past week, while I have been sick or at work and/or dealing with family and friends and holiday stuff, my prop painted and decaled beautiful lil' prop has gone AWOL! And taking the plane to the photo booth, the antenea wire sprang off into the abyss!

So...do I get to count this complete and get my own campaign ribbon...

Man I feel your pain .... grant yourself the ribbon, because you hosted a great campaign and you can't win when the gods are against you ...

Quoted Text

BTW, considering all the trials the past two weeks that have laid in snare before me, if those of you who completed yours on time don't mind, I am happy to allow any of our fellow participants who got started late or have run into time constraints to finish theirs as soon as able, and be considered successful entries.

Are you serious? Can I finish mine in the coming week and still get a ribbon? Honestly, i quit yesterday late at night, because I realized the cockpit has "hundreds" of small panels and all have to be painted and "foiled" .. here is how far I am and this is not because of a late start, but because I jumped from one trouble to another (not only with this model and some of them selfmade)

cheers

Steffen
Clanky44
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
AeroScale: 133 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 05:46 AM UTC
First of all, let me start by wishing all of you across the pond a Happy New Year! . It's 7:30 pm here in eastern Canada, and I'm being told by my very tolerant wife, that we have to leave now for our new years party. I leave a few photos of my 99% completed Classic Airframes 239. Not an easy build, but it does look the part.Considering it's my first ever CA model completed, I'm satisfied with the results. I'll place some additional details tomorrow and post some proper photos.

thanks again for a great campaign,

Frank

Jan 01/07 self edit: I have newer photos in an additional post below
JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 06:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Are you serious? Can I finish mine in the coming week and still get a ribbon?

Hi Steffen,

Certainly, I‘ll reserve a ribbon for you. The name of the game of this hobby is ENJOY! Looking forward to you B.239!
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 01:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Man I feel your pain .... grant yourself the ribbon, because you hosted a great campaign

Hi Steffen!

Not really fair, but good for me ... :-)

Fred, Eetu and Frank, these are really cool looking models! I think we should do a FUMS portfolio as soon as the last entries are finished! What do you think Campaign Leader JPTRR?

Jean-Luc
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 04:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

.. you hit the nail :-) :-) :-)

... it seems it is one of the advantages to be the Führer (*) ... you can bend or break the rules and most will say it is o.k.

cheers

Steffen

(*) for those not familiar with German: Führer just means leader and is not necassarily connected to a certain Austrian that played a little role in Europe during the last century
JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 09:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Fred, Eetu and Frank, these are really cool looking models! I think we should do a FUMS portfolio as soon as the last entries are finished! What do you think Campaign Leader JPTRR?

Hi Jean-Luc,

I would be honored! I think Duel is a candidate for that, too.

And good news! I found the wayward propeller! My time is to be at a premium until Friday but I will try to claw an hour or so away from everyone to 100% my B.239 before then.

I'll even have my Duel P-47 finished by the 7th!

See you all there!

Fred
JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 10:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

.. you hit the nail :-) :-) :-)

... it seems it is one of the advantages to be the Führer (*) ... you can bend or break the rules and most will say it is o.k.

R.H.I.P. :-) I am a reforming martinet who likes everybody to color within the lines Slowly I am learning that flexibility is an asset if not used as an excuse for being chevalier, and an encouraged leadership trait. Especially if it allows people to really enjoy the modeling. If people make an effort I like to accommodate as much as reasonable.

I look at it in regards to the old military axiom, No plan ever survives the first shot. From progress checks during the year I learned that many members would not be starting until late, and that several were having time conflicts, too. If anyone had told last summer that I would not finish until the final hours I would have replied with indignant defiance; I fully intended to have 2-3 aircraft built (and still plan a Finnish Gladiator). But while the past several months have not treated me as rough as some site members, 2006 turned out to be an unpleasantly challenging year for me.

If I get to create and host another campaign I hope it goes as well as this one. You were all great participants!
Clanky44
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 01, 2007 - 03:33 AM UTC
Added some fine details today to my Bv239, here is the finished model...

Frank

TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Monday, January 01, 2007 - 12:23 PM UTC
Hi Frank!

You said I always build "clean" models but I think yours are "cleaner" It's always amazing to see how you can build such fantastic models in such a short time! And the C.A. buffalo is certainly not an easy kit...

Nobody sent me a personnal Portfolio for the month January. I would love to do one with your aircraft models!

Jean-Luc
Clanky44
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 01, 2007 - 03:27 PM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc,

Thank you for the kind comments! It was nice being home for the holidays, and good to get back into modelling, (I had not completed a model in over 4 months before the Buffalo) Your suggestion for the portfolio sounds good, but it will have to wait until I get back home, I'm leaving for my next ten day shift away from home this morning and will not have internet access till then.

I 'll get back to you on the 11th of Jan.

thanks again Jean-Luc,

Frank
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Monday, January 01, 2007 - 05:13 PM UTC
Great entries all round guys.
Special mention to Eetu for single handedly attempting to build the whole Finnish Air Force!
A really good campaign Fred, Im proud to have the ribbon displayed on my profile,
Happy New Year All and heres to the next one!
Nige
ThomasB
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 762 posts
AeroScale: 141 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 12:21 AM UTC
Just want to congratulate everyone that finished in time for some really nice builds. I wheren't able to finish in time, but got something better instead. At 03:10 on the first my daughter was born...
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 12:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just want to congratulate everyone that finished in time for some really nice builds. I wheren't able to finish in time, but got something better instead. At 03:10 on the first my daughter was born...

Wow! Thomas!

That's definitely better! I don't know if you get an award for this but congratulations to you and the mother!

Soon you will know more about nappies than plastic parts!

Jean-Luc
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,707 posts
AeroScale: 1,119 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 01:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gratulerar Thomas! Hur mar mamma och dotter?
Congratulations Thomas! How's the mum and daughter doing?
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 01:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nobody sent me a personnal Portfolio for the month January. I would love to do one with your aircraft models!

I would be interested, what should I do, just choose the pics I want and send them over? Are these pics that I've shown here in this thread good and large (most are 600x450) enough?
Is two or three pics per model okay?

Btw, here a pic of all my FUMS entries together:
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,707 posts
AeroScale: 1,119 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 02:07 AM UTC
Impressive Eetu!
JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 09:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Btw, here a pic of all my FUMS entries together:

Golly Eetu, I'm experiencing modelling envy!
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 02:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I would be interested, what should I do, just choose the pics I want and send them over? Are these pics that I've shown here in this thread good and large (most are 600x450) enough?
Is two or three pics per model okay?

Hi Eetu!

A Portfolio about the FUMS Campaign is already planned. I will wait a little for the last entries to be completed and then see if I can get at least one good picture of each. By the way Fred, how many models have been completed for this Group Build so far? Any idea?
It would also be nice if we could include some historical background to the Portfolio. I though you Eetu, or maybe Fred, could write something, and also find a few representative pictures (pilots?) and maps. My intention is to build up a nice historical article supported with pictures of models from the Campaign. I don't know if something like that has been done on the web so far? But it could be something interesting!

If you want to make a personnal Portfolio, no problem Eetu, I would be happy to publish it! just send me one picture of each of your models (minimum: 640 X 480 - maximum: 750 X 563). Not only pictures of the FUMS but everything you've built so far. I would say between 10 and 20 pictures is good. If you want to add a text to the pictures, send me a wordpad file. And don't forget to add the kit's names and scales. You can use the support Center or mail them to me.

Jean-Luc
ThomasB
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 762 posts
AeroScale: 141 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 03:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gratulerar Thomas! Hur mar mamma och dotter?
Congratulations Thomas! How's the mum and daughter doing?

They are both doing fine. Survived the first night out of hospital. But it looks like there aren't going to be much modelling going on for a while...
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 09:11 PM UTC
Hi fred (and all others too)

Well, I have the feeling the CA Buffalo will beat me. I am trying hard to get it finished (only one other project parallel, and that is finished now). This kid , err kit is really stubborn. Finally I have the fuselage together and the griffon parts attached .. but my modelling time is up for this week and i cannot post from 6th to 15th ... so i guess I will be out of the campaing .. even if I manage to get it done next week ... here is how far i am now:

"Never give up, never surrender!"

BTW I do not understand the hype about CA ... all models I had until now were hard to build (the Buffalo being one of the easier kits)

have a nice modelling time

cheers

Steffen
JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 01:46 AM UTC
Hi Everyone,

My Buffalo is finally--after finding the missing propeller--finished:

More pix for the FUMS Gallery soon .
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, January 26, 2007 - 04:27 AM UTC
I know it is over, but I won't let the damn thing beat me! Seems I am in the middle between Franks "clean" and Freds warbeaten Büffel ... mine is just dirty --- in every aspect .. I am not proud of the build, but when it is done it's done xxx

Hope I can finally finish it on monday (I have duties this weekend) ... why could not Revtamigawa decide to do the Do 17 .. .

best wishes

Steffen