Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Fighters Under The Midnight Sun
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 11:43 PM UTC
Model fairs tend to mean one thing for sure, my stash is bound to grow. This one was no exception, altough I managed to keep from buying tons of new stuff (partly because this was a smaller fair, the annual Model Expo being the largest in Finland).

That 'Last battle' figure set was quite a must, I just like the poses and it has some nice diorama-making potential. I also grabbed MPM's Fokker D.XXI. I had read some favourable reviews of it and asked if I could take a keep inside the box when I saw it at one of the outlets on the fair. Looked like a superb little kit so I bought it. 15€ and a 20% offer so it was only 12€.
I met up a few fellow modelers there and traded some parts. I got a canopy (from the flying machines kti) for my Fiat G.50 in exchange for the tall rudder from my kit. One kind bloke donated me a standard tail for a 1:48 Bf 109 G6.

The model contest went great for me. I won the class of 1:72 and smaller aircraft with my newly-finished brewster.
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,707 posts
AeroScale: 1,119 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 12:40 AM UTC
Well done Eetu!! A well deserved win...SmileyCentral.com
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 04:36 PM UTC
Well Done Eetu!!!
Congratulations on your win
Did you take any photos of the show?
Nige
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 04:59 PM UTC
Hi Eetu!

Bravo! Bravo! Bravo!

Jean-Luc
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 09:51 PM UTC
Thanks for the congradulations!

I had a camera with me but I completely forgot to take any pics from the show. But here's an online gallery that has some photos.
Click!
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 09:46 PM UTC
Yesterday I made some progress on my Bf 109 G2. It's hasegawa's 1:48 kit, with PE by PART.
Instructions tell it's for hobbycraft/hasegawa, although it seems to be designed to hobbycraft primarily. Some modifications and tweaking of parts will be necessary. For example, radiator screens were larger than the plastic parts they attach to.
The PE set seems to be of high quality, but unfortunately I can't say the same for the instructions, they're quite vague in some places. Fortunately references for 109 are not hard to find.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 11:28 AM UTC
Hi All,

Chuck has created a gallery for us: FUMS--Fighters Under the Midnight Sun Gallery

Lets put the palnes in the 'hanger'.
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 01:28 PM UTC
Some more progress on the 109 interior.

The PE parts that go the cockpit floor are in place now. I also added the control wires to the rudder pedals and some details from copper wire.

Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 08:40 PM UTC
I've made some progress last weekend.

I was a little concerned if I could paint the instruments (especially that half-yellow-half-orange ring looked tricky), but they turned out fine with the smallest brush I had and thinned acrylics.

I didn't like the way the cowl mg's are attached (a single part mounted to the firewall), making it impossible to paint the guns separately. The solution must be the simplest there is, some styrene rod drilled, shaped and glued inside the cowling panels to hold the gun barrels.

The wing is almost done. I assembled everything as instructed (and how the parts fit) and I ended up with closed under-wing radiators. Almost all pics I've seen show them opened in different degrees. I checked my references and found a couple of photos of 109's with radiators closed.
It's not inaccurate, but it looks too calm or something...
I'll remember to build that G6 with opened radiators, like the plane's ready to scramble.
JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Monday, October 16, 2006 - 10:04 AM UTC
Hi FUMSers,

See, I have not been completely idle! Here is the latest with my Classic Airframes Brewster B.239. Not a 'shake the box' kit that I prefer, but so far I am prevailing. I will write a full review ASAP.

Be prepared to use lots of CA and/or epoxy!

So far the detail is nice but the fit is bad. The engine mounts don't have holes to fit in the firewall. In fact, there really are no fitting guides at all, except for raised lines in the fuselage to put the bulkheads on.

Engine detailed with pushrods made of plastic rod:

Accessories set (resin)

The fuselage to wing fit is bad. Look at that superglued yawning gap! The instructions call for the R fuselage half to be mated to the wing before closing the fuselage. Hmmmm, is disaster about to befall me for following the instruction sheet?

P/E fret, minus pieces already used.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Monday, October 16, 2006 - 01:05 PM UTC
Hi Fred

great build!!!

..but you make me afraid ... I did not even start because of so much other projects .... maybe I am out of the game if your experiences prove true on my copy of the kit (which is likely) ...

soo many models .....

best wishes

Steffen

P.S. Didn't you want to join the airwar over China duel between me and Clanky44. What is it, are you in or out? ...This is the only model I have finished so far .. hope Frank will build an opponent .. off to the work bench ...
JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Monday, October 16, 2006 - 07:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

P.S. Didn't you want to join the airwar over China duel between me and Clanky44. What is it, are you in or out?

Hi Steffen,

Guilty as charged! Yes, I too have been sidetracked. But my Ki-27, I put the final decal on her the other night and need only to unmask the canopy and repaint the engine & prop. So my entry to your & Clanky44's DUEL will be ready soon!
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Monday, October 16, 2006 - 07:58 PM UTC
Great News, Fred

i was a little anxious as you did not answer former calls. ...

Sorry for the post ...

cheers

Steffen
JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 06:17 PM UTC
Hi All,

Polarbear has become covered up and unable to complete the campaign. He has kindly offered his entry to whomever would like it:

Quoted Text

I was planning to build a Gloster Gladiator. I have the kit and some awesome decals, so if you find anyone else that is interested, I'd gladly ship them!

Any takers?

Looking forward to your latest works,

Fred
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 08:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi All,

Polarbear has become covered up and unable to complete the campaign. He has kindly offered his entry to whomever would like it:

Quoted Text

I was planning to build a Gloster Gladiator. I have the kit and some awesome decals, so if you find anyone else that is interested, I'd gladly ship them!

Any takers?

Looking forward to your latest works,

Fred

I'm interested! What brand and scale is the kit?
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Friday, October 20, 2006 - 07:48 PM UTC
My Bf-109 is coming along nicely. The cockpit's finished and ready to be installed as soon as I get the cockpit area of the fuselage painted.

I added details from Part's PE set, some wiring, and an oxygen hose from guitar string. Those two small boxes on the floor are made from styrene sheet and squash-molded rivets. I also added the rudder control wires that run to the pedals, and made the parts on the floor holding the pedals from copper wire.

I thought about that Gladiator kit. I've got several kits for FUMS in my stash already, so if somebody else wants to participate with that Gladiator, please donate it to him/her instead.
In fact, I don't know if I even manage to build them all within the time of the campaign...
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 10:53 PM UTC
The cockpit's now glued inside the fuselage. I couldn't resist replacing the gunsight glass with acetate film with left-overs from the PE set. Next I'll start priming everything.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 11:02 PM UTC
Hi Eetu!

Great job on that cockpit!

Jean-Luc
JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 09:51 AM UTC
Hi Group,

Please visit the gallery. Armando has submitted his FAF Fiat G.50--a beauty!
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 10:32 AM UTC
Hi Fred and Armando!

That's great looking G.50 indeed! I hope I get mine half as good.

Why don't you post the pictures in the thread Armando, are you too shy?

Jean-Luc
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 09:45 PM UTC
Here's how my MT-201 looks now. The underside (plus some on the fuselage sides) RLM 76 and the yellow fuselage bands and wingtips are painted. Next it's time for the main camouflage. The wings should be a peace of cake, but that mottling's Something I've never done before. Wish me luck!

Ps. Oh, I still haven't taken those proper photos of my two first entries for the gallery. I'll promise to do that right after I get this model painted (I've used to take model photos at the same spot as I airbrush now)
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 11:36 PM UTC
Looks great Eetu! I look forward to see it finished....
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2006 - 12:57 AM UTC
RLM 75 sprayed on:

I have to say that I'm pretty surprised at how well the mottling turned out. And for a first time, I'm very pleased with the results.
Until now, I thought that doing those kind of camo schemes was some kind of rocket science, but even I could do it!

Btw, that mottling most probably isnt' 100% accurate, I focused on getting a clean and good-looking scheme. But well, the kit's instruction sheet and three books showed different mottles on the fuselage. One had clean well-defined mottles, one had more like an uneven overall grey scheme.

Ps. ...And if you are wondering about that Ardpol Pyörremyrsky kit review, I'm still working on it.
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2006 - 01:01 AM UTC
Niiiiiice work Eetu!
JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States