World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Revell 1/48 scale PV-1 Ventura
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 11:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Impressive build so far Joel. The Eduard masks certainly save a huge amount of time and effort, particularly when there is so much plexiglass on show.
tim

Tim,
Thanks so much for stopping by.

How right you are, as those Eduard Masks are a perfect fit, and saved not only a great deal of time, but eliminated a lot of self induced frustration trying to use various masking methods that wouldn't have been nearly as accurate.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 12:14 AM UTC
Time for another update which is rather long, as I have covered a lot of ground since my last one. I've decided

to go with the Black Basing technique rather then pre-shading. However, I'm using a two part approach of priming

with AMMO-MIG acrylic gray primer, then using Tamiya XF-1 Flat Black applied in a blotchy random pattern

before the 1st color coat is applied.

The fuselage has reached the stage of being masked, and the main tail elevator section glued into position, so it

was prime time.

One thing I did notice is that Revell has molded the rudders and elevator tips without any recessed line to

replicate the real world separation.

So using a micro saw, followed by some emery cloth, I made a cut along that demarcation line.

I then started working on both wings. I cut out the upper and lower Ailerons as I wanted to position them in a

more natural position.

Then I glued the top and bottom halves of the Ailerons together and a face plate made from 1x3 strip plastic, as

well as gluing the wing halves together.

Once dry, I glued the Ailerons in the grooved slots with one up and the other one in the down position.

I also glued up and test fitted the engine nacelles. The Revell engine exhausts are not nearly as detailed as the

Quickboost resin offerings, so I replaced them with the Quickboost ones.

The main wheel wells have some molded in detail, but for their large size still are quite barren looking.

I added a fuel line, various electrical and hydraulic lines, a few braces, and some bits and pieces following a

few pictures as a guide.

A coat of primer blended all the various parts and materials quite well.

Next up I AB'd the blotchy flat black base but forgot to take a few pictures of it. To the best of my knowledge

from what information I could gather, the wheel wells, like the bomb bay was painted with GZC. Naturally, Tamiya

doesn't make that shade, so I mixed Tamiya XF-3 Flat Yellow and XF-5 Flat Dark Green 2:1.

the color looked a little to lite, so I decided to change the mix ratio to 1:1

I added a enamel wash, followed by dry brushing Model Master light Ghost Gray

And now you're update on the PV-1 build.

Joel
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 01:03 AM UTC
Excellent work Joel, love the detail in those wheel wells.

If you can find it, Gunze H58 Interior Green is a good option for the GZC.

Cheers, D
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 03:08 PM UTC
I'm digging those wheel well details as well. Superb work, Joel.

Gary
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
AeroScale: 1,443 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 05:28 PM UTC
That's huge progress, and the wheel wells do look great!
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 817 posts
AeroScale: 729 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 07:33 PM UTC
Top-notch, Joel- cheers! Love the "animated" flying surfaces and the added details. What did you make those fuel lines in the wheel wells from? Very neat.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 08:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Excellent work Joel, love the detail in those wheel wells.

If you can find it, Gunze H58 Interior Green is a good option for the GZC.

Cheers, D

Damian,
Thanks for stopping by. Glad you like how the wheels wells are turning out. I've been looking at them for a day or so now, and I'm still not happy with the color intensity, as it still seams to bright to me.

I think I'm going to go ahead and seal the wells with W&N Acrylic flat varnish, then do another Burnt Sienna wash, and then seal again.

Gunze isn't exactly a common brand of paint from the online vendors I deal with, but thanks for the information, you never know when it will home in handy.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 08:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That's huge progress, and the wheel wells do look great!

Brian,
I'm glad that you were able to take a look at my update. Yeah, it's a lot more progress then I thought I would have made for an update, but the progress just kept on adding up.

Like I mentioned to Damian, I still think that the wheel well are just to bright, so I'll be sealing the dry brushing and adding another Burnt Sienna wash to see if that does indeed tone it down and dirty it up just a little more.

Joel

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 08:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm digging those wheel well details as well. Superb work, Joel.

Gary

Gary,
Thanks for stopping by, it's much appreciated. Progress has at least been steady on the PV-1, so I've finally been able to really try out the Black basing "My Way", and I have to tell you that I'm really impressed. If you look at all those doors, each one has some degree of paint shading, but not a drop of applied weathering as yet.
Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 09:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Top-notch, Joel- cheers! Love the "animated" flying surfaces and the added details. What did you make those fuel lines in the wheel wells from? Very neat.

Chuck,
You made my day. So glad to see a post from you. Those Ailerons look even better in person as up close and personal photos just tend to show every little error and screw up.

The fuel line is actually some old speaker wire insulation. Great stuff to work with. If I wasn't so focused on completing the wheel wells, I would have realized that I completely forgot to added a pair of clamps to that fuel line. Now I have to figure out how to do that with the hose already installed.
Joel
spaarndammer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,945 posts
AeroScale: 388 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 11:28 PM UTC
Great work on the ailerons and wheel wells.

Will the slit between the wheel well and the nacelle be covered with some part?

I am looking forward to see more progress

Jelger
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 12:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Great work on the ailerons and wheel wells.

Will the slit between the wheel well and the nacelle be covered with some part?

I am looking forward to see more progress

Jelger

Jelger,
Thanks for checking out my progress to date.

As far as those seams go, I just went back to take a closer look at both engine nacelles. The seam is also a ledge where the wheel well doors actually rest on when they're closed. On my build the doors are open, so the ledge will be visible when viewed looking up. Other then that, that ledge and seam are basically invisible. Still, it was a excellent observation that there is a small gap, so I just applied a few coats of Vallejo White Acrylic putty, which sealed both seams.

As far as painting them, the bottom of the aircraft will be a dirty White, so the inside lip of the nacelles should be that color as well, which is what color the putty already is. Talk about lucking out.

Again, thanks for catching that miss on my part.

Joel
chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Friday, October 09, 2015 - 01:03 PM UTC
Hi Joel,

That little extra detail you added sure made the wheel wells just pop.

Didnt make it to the museum I mentioned.sorry.but the kids had a change of heart.

Chris

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 10, 2015 - 03:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Joel,

That little extra detail you added sure made the wheel wells just pop.

Didnt make it to the museum I mentioned.sorry.but the kids had a change of heart.

Chris

Chris,
Thanks for stopping by and liking the added wheel well details.

Kids are like that, and I have a 28 year old that changes his mind in mid stream.
Joel

Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2015 - 12:11 AM UTC
Hi Joel

I love the work you've done on the wheel-wells - great job!

All the best

Rowan
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2015 - 01:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Joel

I love the work you've done on the wheel-wells - great job!

All the best

Rowan

Rowan,
Thanks so much for your most positive words. Glad you were able to checkout my progress to date.
Joel
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2015 - 12:40 PM UTC
Joel! You've managed to blend in all the fuselage add-ons really nicely, looks promising for the future ! If you manage to keep up the level of work, this will be another stunner!

Magnus
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2015 - 07:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel! You've managed to blend in all the fuselage add-ons really nicely, looks promising for the future ! If you manage to keep up the level of work, this will be another stunner!

Magnus

Magnus,
Glad you stopped by. Been wondering where you've been lately.

Yeah, I just managed to get all those various parts to blend into what looks like a two piece fuselage assembly, but keeping up this level of work, has been, and will continue to be a real challenge.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 01:10 AM UTC
Well, it's time for another update.

I've managed to get both front wings to fit into a recessed fuselage wing mounts. The tabs are just a little to wide, and all 4 needed a little filing to narrow them a tad. There was only one spot of a inch on one wing that needed any filler to close a small gap in the joint. I used Vallejo White Acrylic putty to take care of that task.

I then primed both wings top and bottom with AMM-MIG Gray Acrylic Primer thinned 2:1 with Tamiya X20-A. I've previously been thinning with a ratio of 1:1, but it took way too many coats to coat properly as a primer should. Next time I'm going to a 3:1 ratio which should be perfect for my air brush/compressor setup.

Unlike when I used Tamiya Gray Surface primer which I let set up for an hour, then air brushed Tamiya acrylics over it. I let the AMM-MIG primer dry/cure for a full 24 hours as recommended by Mig. The following afternoon I air brushed on Tamiya XF-1 Flat Black thinned 1:2 with Tamiya's Yellow cap Lacquer Thinner, and applied it in a random blotchy streaky pattern for my Black Basing surface.

The next painting stage will be to apply light thin coats of FX-2 Flat White to the under surfaces, and up the sides of the fuselage. I'll vary the coverage to achieve the uneven worn and weathered paint surface I'm trying to achieve.

Joel

litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 03:13 AM UTC
Excellent progress so far Joel. I really like the additional detail in the undercarriage bay. I am looking forward to following your progress with the painting. I agree with Magnus assessment that this build looks to have the potential of another stunning finish.
Keep up the good work and thanks also for recording the build in excellent detail.
tim
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
AeroScale: 1,443 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 06:39 AM UTC
Joel,

You can bet that I will be asking your advice when I get to this part of the B-17 build!

Brian
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 09:17 AM UTC
Somehow, Joel, you've taken an overlooked, underappreciated workhorse and made it look menacing. Can't wait for more!

Gary
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 09:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Excellent progress so far Joel. I really like the additional detail in the undercarriage bay. I am looking forward to following your progress with the painting. I agree with Magnus assessment that this build looks to have the potential of another stunning finish.
Keep up the good work and thanks also for recording the build in excellent detail.
tim

Tim,
Thanks so much for stopping by and checking out the PV-1 build. I sure hope that the finished model will live up to your expectations. One thing for sure, I'll give it my best shot.
Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 09:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel,

You can bet that I will be asking your advice when I get to this part of the B-17 build!

Brian

Brian,
Have no fear. I'll be there for any consultation you may want to have. But like I said, I've seen some of your other builds, and your painting/weathering is right up there.
Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 09:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Somehow, Joel, you've taken an overlooked, underappreciated workhorse and made it look menacing. Can't wait for more!

Gary

Gary,
Thank so much for those more then kind words.

More will have to wait a little longer then usual, as I'm fighting a horrible head cold. And there just isn't anyway to model feeling like this.

Joel