World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Revell 1/48 scale PV-1 Ventura
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
AeroScale: 1,443 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 06:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Honestly, for all the work needed to install the clip, and the small difference in dimensions from the kit part, which really can only be seen if you turn over the fuselage, it really isn't worth the effort, time, nor expense for me, as this is strictly a display model that at best will be rest on a mirror base.

Joel

I read this with interest because I was inspired/foolish enough to order the same DMold part, but with the closed bomb-bay doors also. (no way am I interested in even thinking about detailing a bomb-bay after the B-17).

I found the instructions a bit confusing.

It's one thing to cut the lower nose/fuselage off to make way for the "looks like a kit part in resin," and another to have to sand the nicely made part. I'm hoping the closed B-B doors minimize such work.

I also took serious note of your "too minor to make a difference" conclusion. That's what my gut told me, but the quest for modeling "perfection" takes us down strange roads.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 09:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Honestly, for all the work needed to install the clip, and the small difference in dimensions from the kit part, which really can only be seen if you turn over the fuselage, it really isn't worth the effort, time, nor expense for me, as this is strictly a display model that at best will be rest on a mirror base.

Joel

I read this with interest because I was inspired/foolish enough to order the same DMold part, but with the closed bomb-bay doors also. (no way am I interested in even thinking about detailing a bomb-bay after the B-17).

I found the instructions a bit confusing.

It's one thing to cut the lower nose/fuselage off to make way for the "looks like a kit part in resin," and another to have to sand the nicely made part. I'm hoping the closed B-B doors minimize such work.

I also took serious note of your "too minor to make a difference" conclusion. That's what my gut told me, but the quest for modeling "perfection" takes us down strange roads.

Brian,
Thanks for stopping by.

I'm still in the camp of the chin isn't nearly worth the bang for the buck. His dimensional drawings on the DMold site does make it look like a greater issue then it really is once you factor in scale size, as least as I can tell. And looking at other builds on the net,I've found only one other build that even bothered with the chin replacement.

The instructions, like most AM instructions are basic at best. I know that I made the cut as accurately as possible as I followed the major panel line on both sides perfectly.

As for sanding, almost all of it is to reduce the overall dimensions of the fuselage so that the clip correctly blends in. Unfortunately, as the parts get closely aligned I did manage to sand over the clip, but nothing I can't correct.

I did minor detailing in the bomb bay, nothing to compare in any manor to your super detailed B-17F bomb bay. What pushed me to make the decision to leave the doors open is the twin folded doors on both sides. Of course, there is nothing to prevent me from modifying those doors to a closed orientation if I don't like how they look in real life, or most likely if I screw the support mechanism up that holds all 4 doors in place.

If you're collecting AM parts, I would suggest going with the Vector cowlings and not the Quickboost ones as I did. The Vectors cowls have the cowl flaps already in the open position, while the Quickboost ones are in the closed position. Every single picture I've seen or have of a parked PV-1 ( especially the Canadian aircraft I'm modeling), has the cowl flaps in the open position, which is opposite of what I thought it should have been.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 09:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks like a successful nose surgery and a good fix with the putty and sanding, Joel.
Great work so far and i am still in "close formation"
Happy modelling

Bernd

Bernd,
Thanks for the input. The fit is really better then I thought I'd get, but the final test is when I prime it in a few days.

Joel
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
AeroScale: 1,517 posts
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2015 - 04:16 AM UTC
Hi Joel I've got two of these fella's in my stash and I'll be doing them up as Rnzaf birds specifically 487 Sqn and a pacific Squadron (Bomber reconnaissance 1 possibly). So I'll have to modify the the 487 squadron bird to match the English variant they were given and the pacific squadron had ex American machines so that'll be the easiest and first one I'll be doing. I've already got the Ventura decals set for it now it's just a matter of deciding which one and how to paint it!
SaxonTheShiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 1,233 posts
AeroScale: 663 posts
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2015 - 09:53 PM UTC
Joel, good work on the nose piece installation. However, it does look like it was a pain to get the joints to marry up correctly. Kind of glad I skipped that aftermarket piece on my RAF Ventura. Looking forward to your next update!

Best wishes,

Ian
chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 05:51 AM UTC
Hey there Joel,
Your Ventura is really coming along,the bomb bay additons really look good.

Heres a link you might find interesting

http://rnzaf.hobbyvista.com/ven1.html

While it covers RNZAF aircraft you may find it of some use and it may even get you to consider going Kiwi rather than Canadian.

Cheers

Chris
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 05:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Joel I've got two of these fella's in my stash and I'll be doing them up as Rnzaf birds specifically 487 Sqn and a pacific Squadron (Bomber reconnaissance 1 possibly). So I'll have to modify the the 487 squadron bird to match the English variant they were given and the pacific squadron had ex American machines so that'll be the easiest and first one I'll be doing. I've already got the Ventura decals set for it now it's just a matter of deciding which one and how to paint it!

Chris,
I'm by far an expert on PV-1s. Revell has both the American version and the British version. But there were quite a lot of differences throughout the production run. Early PV-1s had a nose section with 4 side windows, and one look down window for a bombardier, while later versions eliminated the side windows and added MGs. Then a final version eliminated the look down window and added a 4 pack of MGs.

The version I'm doing, which the CAAF used during 1944-45 was the American GR.V. which had the newer nose, but no gun pack. Odds are that the Most of the PV-1s the RAAF, & RNZAF had were also the GR.V version.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 06:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel, good work on the nose piece installation. However, it does look like it was a pain to get the joints to marry up correctly. Kind of glad I skipped that aftermarket piece on my RAF Ventura. Looking forward to your next update!

Best wishes,

Ian

Ian,
I sure wish I had done the same. What a pain in the butt. The front glass nose doesn't fit correctly, and is requiring a fair amount of work to blend in correctly. At least it will be painted to simulate being taped and clear doped.
Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 06:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey there Joel,
Your Ventura is really coming along,the bomb bay additons really look good.

Heres a link you might find interesting

http://rnzaf.hobbyvista.com/ven1.html

While it covers RNZAF aircraft you may find it of some use and it may even get you to consider going Kiwi rather than Canadian.

Cheers

Chris

Chris,
Thanks for that link. There is a ton of info and great detail pictures. I could really use the ones for the main landing gear at this point.

Joel
chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 07:34 AM UTC
Hi Joel,
I had hoped to visit MOTAT (Museum of transport and technology) this weekend, which has a Ventura on display.

Given it's the school holidays at the moment I may see if the kids want to go there over the next week.If we do I'll grab what photos I can.

Hope that this may be of help.

Chris

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 06:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Joel,
I had hoped to visit MOTAT (Museum of transport and technology) this weekend, which has a Ventura on display.

Given it's the school holidays at the moment I may see if the kids want to go there over the next week.If we do I'll grab what photos I can.

Hope that this may be of help.

Chris

Chris,
Sure hope you can make it. I'm really looking forward to seeing your pictures.
Joel

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 05:38 AM UTC
Work has continued at even a slower pace then my normal snail's pace, and work just keeps on forgetting that I'm semi retired, and I've gone into over time once again.

Final sanding and polishing for the nose chin was followed up with the installation of the Cockpit greenhouse glass.

The Cockpit Greenhouse fit was pretty good, but there was still a considerable gap on the pilot's side, that I filled with Vallejo acrylic white putty over a two day period.

Next was the installation of the lower rear gun position and glass. The fit was excellent, and didn't require any putty work. You also can see in the picture below that the rear wheel strut has been repaired. I glued up the wheel well doors in the closed position as that's how every picture I have shows it.

Next was the installation of the clear glass nose for the bombardier compartment. In the VR.G version, the nose clip was changed to eliminate that station and remove the windows on each side of the nose. The clear glass radar nose was taped inside and out, then clear doped. So my only concern was to get the nose glass to fit as perfectly as possible.

In this picture you can see that the angle of the glass flattens out rather then continues to the front of the nose.

Even though the bombardier compartment has been removed, the look down glass is still installed. Later versions of the PV-1 will have a automatic 4 MG pack added in it's place.

I had to install what I think is a navigator bubble on the top of the aircraft spine. I also temp attached the top turret clip which fits perfectly, so I don't have to deal with the turret for basic priming.

All the glass was masked using Eduard's excellent mask set. I was more then pleased with how they worked.

I was somewhat surprised and puzzled that in this day and age, Revell decided to put their copyright on the outside of the Elevators.

Anyway, I sanded it off, then polished out the surface. I also decided to deepen the elevators recesses to make them look as though they're separate pieces.

Next up I'll prime the seams and take care of any issues. Then I'll continue work on the wings.

Joel

AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 08:40 AM UTC
Coming together very nicely Joel. It always feels like a major step forward getting the fuselage buttoned up!

As you say, very unusual to have the brand so prominent on the outside surface.

Cheers, D
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 01:24 PM UTC
Hi Joel,
Glad to see it coming together and starting to look like an aircraft. I like your idea to deepen the recesses around the ontrol surfaces. I will have to use that one in the future.

Gotta tell ya, I never knew the Ventura had that many teeth.

Gary
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 08:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gotta tell ya, I never knew the Ventura had that many teeth.Gary

I thought the same Gary, until I was browsing info on heavy nightfighter aircraft (a pet obsession) and found this:

Very toothy!

I even found info on the B-25 Mitchell being used as a stop-gap night fighter prior to the P-61 coming on line.

Cheers, D
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 08:54 PM UTC
A lot of excellent progress here Joel.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 09:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Coming together very nicely Joel. It always feels like a major step forward getting the fuselage buttoned up!

As you say, very unusual to have the brand so prominent on the outside surface.

Cheers, D

Damian,
Yeah. Even though I'm not even half way to the finish line, once the fuselage is buttoned up, it feels like I've made a lot of progress.

I'm still debating about installing the top turret now rather then later, but will still check all the major seams now. I really need to know just how good, or how much more work the lower chin and nose glass will need.

Quoted Text

Hi Joel,
Glad to see it coming together and starting to look like an aircraft. I like your idea to deepen the recesses around the ontrol surfaces. I will have to use that one in the future.

Gotta tell ya, I never knew the Ventura had that many teeth.

Gary

Gary,
Thanks for stopping by.

I'm with you on just how much fire power the PV-1 had. late models right before the PV-2 Harpoon came on line removed the nose look down glass and replaced it with a fixed 6 pack of 50 cal. MGs. That pack was carried over to the PV-2s. Here's the restored PV-2 with the pack from the National Naval Aviation Museum located in Pensacola FL . (Just once before I'm too old to go, I need to make a trip to the Mecca of Naval Aviation).

Joel

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 09:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

A lot of excellent progress here Joel.

Brian,
Thanks so much for those kind words. Progress yes, but so much more to go. The thought does cross my mind every so often that this time I've pushed my limited just a tad too far.
Joel
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 03:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Brian,
Thanks so much for those kind words. Progress yes, but so much more to go. The thought does cross my mind every so often that this time I've pushed my limited [ ] just a tad too far.
Joel

Seriously, it looks to me like you're doing just fine. This w/e I will get back to the 17. I've at least figured out an approach to the tunnel roof. But I've been too busy to start it.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 09:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Brian,
Thanks so much for those kind words. Progress yes, but so much more to go. The thought does cross my mind every so often that this time I've pushed my limited [ ] just a tad too far.
Joel

Seriously, it looks to me like you're doing just fine. This w/e I will get back to the 17. I've at least figured out an approach to the tunnel roof. But I've been too busy to start it.

Brain,
Thanks, but it's been a struggle at times. What I post including pictures are just the final results. Sometimes getting there has been shall we say painful.

Looking forward to your next update. I do wonder at times just what you could have done with a 1/32 B-17? Now there's an idea for your retirement.
Joel
berndm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 844 posts
AeroScale: 630 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 11:14 AM UTC
Good progress, Joel. Your Ventura is coming along.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 07:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Good progress, Joel. Your Ventura is coming along.

Bernd,
Thanks for stopping by. Glad you like the progress I've made so far. At the rate I'm going, I'm hoping to be done around the Holidays.
Joel
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 12:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

.... I'm still debating about installing the top turret now rather then later, but will still check all the major seams now. I really need to know just how good, or how much more work the lower chin and nose glass will need ....

Joel, if it helps, when I built my Ventura back in 2012, I installed the top turret at the very end of the build when everything else was finished. You might break the guns while working on the kit. The same I did with the rear guns at the bottom of the fuselage. I think it was the right descision. But as always, many ways lead to Rome ....

Torsten
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 01:06 AM UTC
Impressive build so far Joel. The Eduard masks certainly save a huge amount of time and effort, particularly when there is so much plexiglass on show.
tim
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 11:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

.... I'm still debating about installing the top turret now rather then later, but will still check all the major seams now. I really need to know just how good, or how much more work the lower chin and nose glass will need ....

Joel, if it helps, when I built my Ventura back in 2012, I installed the top turret at the very end of the build when everything else was finished. You might break the guns while working on the kit. The same I did with the rear guns at the bottom of the fuselage. I think it was the right descision. But as always, many ways lead to Rome ....

Torsten

Torsten,
Thanks for your input and advice. That's exactly what I'm planning on doing. I'm 100% positive that I would damage the turret and or the MGs. With the turret panel removable, and nearly a perfect fit, there just isn't any reason to do it any other way.
Joel