_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Revell 1/48 scale PV-1 Ventura
Kilo_Uniform
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 280 posts
AeroScale: 141 posts
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2015 - 10:04 AM UTC
Joel,

Absolutely awesome mate - beautiful build, great painting and weathering. Truly inspiring.

Keep up the excellent work - I look forward to your next masterpiece.

Kobus
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2015 - 11:21 AM UTC
Hi Joel,
You've certainly taken and ugly duckling and turned it into warplane! Your painting skills beg the eye to linger and soak up details and textures. I'm glad I was able to follow you through your build.

Gary
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 03:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel,

Absolutely awesome mate - beautiful build, great painting and weathering. Truly inspiring.

Keep up the excellent work - I look forward to your next masterpiece.

Kobus

Kobus,
Thank you so much for those most kind words. Honestly it's not a masterpiece by a long shot.

My next aircraft build will be the Academy (Accurate Miniatures) 1/48 scale B-25B. I'm planning it to be a mostly OOB build, although there is a nagging issue about the cowling openings being a little to narrow, so a dowel and sand paper should remedy that. Past that, it's going to be all about the finish and presentation.

The interesting thing about the Doolittle B-25Bs is that they were basically fairly new aircraft, and well maintained. So there won't be a lot of weathering to better duplicate the original aircraft.

At some point in the next few weeks, I'm going to take a break from the build and spend two weeks or so building my 1st 1/43 scale McLaren M8A, then back to the Mitchell.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 03:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Joel,
You've certainly taken and ugly duckling and turned it into warplane! Your painting skills beg the eye to linger and soak up details and textures. I'm glad I was able to follow you through your build.

Gary

Gary,
Thanks so much for being here from day 1 to the conclusion. It's much appreciated. As for my painting skills, they've improved over the years, but anyone with an airbrush can duplicate what I've done.
Joel
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 869 posts
AeroScale: 862 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 01:47 AM UTC
The Ventura is terrific!

Nice to see a quality built model of a type that has not been done to death by other modelers.

Matrixone
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 02:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Ventura is terrific!

Nice to see a quality built model of a type that has not been done to death by other modelers.

Matrixone

Les,
Thank you so much for those most kind words. Coming from you, one of Aeroscale's elite, means a great deal to me.
Joel
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 03:05 AM UTC
Nice one Joel

Wonderful work throughout and the finished model looks really fantastic! Now let's get it where it belongs on the Frontpage as a Feature article.

All the best

Rowan
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 04:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice one Joel

Wonderful work throughout and the finished model looks really fantastic! Now let's get it where it belongs on the Frontpage as a Feature article.

All the best

Rowan

Rowan,

Thank you so much for your accolades. Ok, so I got carried away for a moment. I'm going to be putting together a full build feature for PV-1, and then submit it. With you or Jessica doing the editing, I'm sure it will come out the best it can be.

Joel
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 04:02 AM UTC
I hope you're also willing to share the photos with Aviaeology. I'm sure they'll appreciate their decals on such a nice model.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 04:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I hope you're also willing to share the photos with Aviaeology. I'm sure they'll appreciate their decals on such a nice model.

Jessica,
I just sent you a pm to you in reference to that exact topic.
Joel
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
AeroScale: 1,517 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 11:44 AM UTC
Joel my friend absolutely awesome work! You're way to modest my talented and accomplished friend. Simply having the right tools does not make one a master, time and experience will do that. Your skills shine through and as I've stated repeatedly reached the Joel Willstein level of excellence!
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 12:32 PM UTC
Joel! That's an achievement that you can be truly proud of! You've put in an amazing amount of work in this one and it paid off in the end. I've never have a closer look at these even if I knew that the aircraft existed: it looks very purposeful with those big, protruding engines!

Regarding aftermarket that can't be seen: I try to avoid it but sometimes it is too tempting to resist ! There is a joy in detailing that is there no matter if it can be seen in the final model or not I think.

Now I'm curious what's next. Have you decided yet?

Magnus
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 10:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel my friend absolutely awesome work! You're way to modest my talented and accomplished friend. Simply having the right tools does not make one a master, time and experience will do that. Your skills shine through and as I've stated repeatedly reached the Joel Willstein level of excellence!

Chris,
Thank you once again for those words, I just don't know how to reply to them. Honestly, I've never considered my myself more then a average modeler whose learned the skill of enhancement: the fooling of one's eye. Now Brian on the other hand is creating a true masterpiece as he continues to break new ground on his B-17F.

You do have the skill set to reach any level you so desire. Just putting in the time, and not worrying about failure till you get it right, will get you there and then some.

Thanks again for those awesome words.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 10:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel! That's an achievement that you can be truly proud of! You've put in an amazing amount of work in this one and it paid off in the end. I've never have a closer look at these even if I knew that the aircraft existed: it looks very purposeful with those big, protruding engines!

Regarding aftermarket that can't be seen: I try to avoid it but sometimes it is too tempting to resist ! There is a joy in detailing that is there no matter if it can be seen in the final model or not I think.

Now I'm curious what's next. Have you decided yet?

Magnus

Magnus,
Thank you so much for your most kind and appreciative words. And yes, the PV-1 was a special build for me. One I've wanted to do for some time. Just never thought I had the "tools" to pull it off. Without a doubt this build has taken me longer then any other model I've ever built. I gone to places I never thought I'd go. fortunately, I was fairly successful, and the finished replica now resides proudly in it's display case. Is it a perfect build? Not by a long shot, as it has it's issues and short comings. but one that I'm proud to have finished, and shared with all my friends here on Aeroscale.

As for my next build, there are really two. the 1st one is the Academy 1/48 scale B-25B Mitchell bomber made famous by the Doolittle raid. I'm most likely going to do Major Dootlittle's aircraft.

The 2nd one is my sort of a coming out of the "closet" as a race car enthusiast modeler, but as a collector as well. I've chosen 1/43rd as it's more attuned to collecting then just building. And it offers me the cars and drivers from series and years that I have a deep interest in. I've just order two M8 series McLarens from the American Can Am series that started in the 1960s.

My building plans are quite simple: two aircraft followed by one car. the cars only take a few weeks to build, so they will also serve the purpose of letting me take a break for one aircraft build after another, while allowing me to keep my Mojo levels where they have been for quite some time.

I'll post my builds in the Auto forums, but just might post them here as well, so that I can share with my Aeroscale friends my new modeling interest.

Joel

spaarndammer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,945 posts
AeroScale: 388 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 11:47 PM UTC
Congratulations Joel with this beautiful result. Your finish is very nice and for me an example for my future builds.

I am already looking forward to the next one!

Jelger
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 03:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Congratulations Joel with this beautiful result. Your finish is very nice and for me an example for my future builds.

I am already looking forward to the next one!

Jelger

Jelger,
Thanks so much for your most kind and thoughtful words.
Joel
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 12:54 PM UTC
Excellent work Joel. The detail added and the weathering are top notch.
Andy
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 11:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Excellent work Joel. The detail added and the weathering are top notch.
Andy

Andy,
Thanks so much for your most appreciated positive comments. Joel
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 12:58 AM UTC
Outstanding work Joel, you have really brought out the distinctive character of the Ventura. I have also really enjoyed your blog.
Nicely done.
tim
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 06:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Outstanding work Joel, you have really brought out the distinctive character of the Ventura. I have also really enjoyed your blog.
Nicely done.
tim

Tim,
Thanks so much for your most kind and appreciative words. I really glad that you enjoyed my build blog. It's comments like that, that make it worth while.
Joel
mrockhill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 566 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 09:15 AM UTC
Joel,
Your ventura looks outstanding, I especially like your panel line treatments. The whole plane looks like it would be right at home patroling cold Canadian waters!

It really is ashame your work in the radio room and cockpit will be mostly unnoticed. I tell myself such unseen work is just extra practice.

Looking foward to seeing your B-25 get underway. I dont know a thing about the AM kit so Im curious to see one go together.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 07:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel,
Your ventura looks outstanding, I especially like your panel line treatments. The whole plane looks like it would be right at home patroling cold Canadian waters!

It really is ashame your work in the radio room and cockpit will be mostly unnoticed. I tell myself such unseen work is just extra practice.

Looking foward to seeing your B-25 get underway. I dont know a thing about the AM kit so Im curious to see one go together.

Mike,
Thank you so much for that most descriptive comment. It makes the build that much more special to me.

Over the last 5 years or so I've built one aircraft model right after another with sometimes not even a day off in between. How I maintained my Mojo is beyond me, but as time as passed, it's become harder and harder to do so. Still I kept up my building pace, and concentrated on just one build at a time. I've yet to try to build a 2nd model or even tinker with one while the current build is underway. I do research on the next build as a break, order AM parts as needed, but that's it.

Outside of being a huge sports fan, I've been a auto race fan since the 60s, and even have raced sport cars and enduro Karts during my college days. Strange that I've never really got into race car modeling, as I grew up with Planes and ships that my local toy store carried. But the desire has always been there.

I've been aware of 1/43rd auto models/collecting for some time, and finally have decided to build those race cars from earlier times that have such an important and personal meaning to me. So I've decided to stagger my aircraft builds with a 1/43rd build in between that will both allow me to refuel my aircraft Mojo, and let me come out of the "closet" and start my collection. Unlike aircraft models, they are all resin, and mostly curbside replicas, so 3-4 wks max is it. Just the time I really need to get into the next aircraft build.

Right now I'm working on a 1968 McLaren M8A from the Can Am series driven by Denny Hulme who won the championship that year.

Then it's B-25B time.

Joel
Twentecable
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 339 posts
AeroScale: 244 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 10:37 PM UTC
Hi Joel,

great work! I know you will be happy and you will be , justified, proud everytime you pull her out of the shelf.

gr TC
 _GOTOTOP