World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Revell 1/48 scale PV-1 Ventura
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 07:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Beautiful detail work Joel, this build has been a real joy to follow. Thanks for sharing so much information with every update.

Cheers, D

Damian,

You really made my day. I'm so glad that you have enjoyed my build blog to date, and appreciate all the secondary info that I include.

I'm in the final approach to the finish line now. As I said when I did the engines, that they're so small and recessed into the cowling that wiring up each engines 18 cylinders just didn't pay. Well, it didn't take long for me to change my mind, as I think it was more laziness then anything else. So I'm spending what looks like a full week wiring up both engines. So far I've finished 3/4 of the 1st one.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 07:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel,

Your PV-1 looks outstanding, I cant wait to see it finished! Your choice of scheme is excellent, worthy of the great effort youvebput into this build

Mike,
Thank you so much for your more then kind words.

The majority of my aircraft builds are USN WW11. I'm so entrenched in the bi or tri color schemes, that when Jessica did a review on those Aviaeology Canadian decals, the bells went off and the light bulb turned on to max It was a true no brainer . Jessica offered me my choice of decal sheet, and I jumped at the offer. I still thank Jessica for that offer. It's things like that which makes Aeroscale more of a family, then just a modeling site.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2015 - 04:01 AM UTC
Well, after further thought about the engines and wiring them up. I realized that even though each engine has 18 cylinders in two banks, and they're not the easiest to see once the cowling is in place, I was just taking the easy way out, and being basically lazy. So I bit the bullet, and wired up the 1st engine. Took two days.

Then I cleaned the back of the engine and the engine mount wit Denatured Alcohol being very careful with a damp Qtip. All the paint came right off. The Quickboost engine fit like it was a injected molded part. Maybe Aires should take note that it is possible to get AM resin to fit.

The resin engine assembly was glued into position with Gorilla med thickness CCA glue.

Sanded the backing of the engine cowl and glued it on with Tamiya Orange cap. The prop was temp glued in place with Aleene's Tacky glue

Now on to the other engine.

Joel

Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
AeroScale: 1,443 posts
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2015 - 07:41 AM UTC
Looks great Joel. I especially like the finish on the prop, and best of all that Hamilton Standard propeller hub! I'm going to have to refer back to your methods on this when I get to that point in a certain B-17 I'm putting together.

The other thing I wanted to comment on was how insanely complex the actuation setup is on the bomb bay doors. If it was me, I would have just glued those doors closed. (After the 17, I'm not sure I want to "go there" again anytime soon, on anything!) But on this build I think it's really a eye-catching extra touch, for sure.
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2015 - 11:10 AM UTC
Wow, Joel!
Engine looks gtreat, and I gotta agree that the prop and spinner looks very nicely done. Now, I'm gonna have to figure out how to make mine look that good.

Gary
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
AeroScale: 1,517 posts
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2015 - 11:28 AM UTC
Hey Joel you wanna wire my engines too? Way to good a job ol' buddy! Fantastic build Joel it's been a pleasure to be along for the ride!
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2015 - 11:44 AM UTC
That looks awesome, love it!
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2015 - 08:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks great Joel. I especially like the finish on the prop, and best of all that Hamilton Standard propeller hub! I'm going to have to refer back to your methods on this when I get to that point in a certain B-17 I'm putting together.

The other thing I wanted to comment on was how insanely complex the actuation setup is on the bomb bay doors. If it was me, I would have just glued those doors closed. (After the 17, I'm not sure I want to "go there" again anytime soon, on anything!) But on this build I think it's really a eye-catching extra touch, for sure.

Brian,
The prop is Quickboost resin, so the details are just that much better then injected molding at this point. I compared the kit prop/hub to the Quickboost one, and it's night and day. I wanted a rougher texture then smooth Acrylic flat black, so I tried Mig black primer, and it was exactly what I was looking for. A little polishing of the hub, then Alcad Aluminum, then a black wash followed by a clear coat. Can't get much simpler then that.

And yeah, those bomb bay doors were a real pain in the butt! I'm surprised that they didn't fall off when opened in flight. I can touch them now, and they do rock back and forth.

As for your B-17F build, your detailing efforts especially in the bomb bay is light years ahead of the little bit of enhancing I did. I'm trying to fools one eye, while you're trying to educate them. Huge difference.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2015 - 08:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow, Joel!
Engine looks gtreat, and I gotta agree that the prop and spinner looks very nicely done. Now, I'm gonna have to figure out how to make mine look that good.

Gary

Gary,
Thanks for the compliment. As I told Brian, it's really pretty simple. Much simpler then figuring out how to foil. My God, your skill level is off the chart at this point.
Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2015 - 09:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Joel you wanna wire my engines too? Way to good a job ol' buddy! Fantastic build Joel it's been a pleasure to be along for the ride!

Chris,
Glad you're enjoying the ride. Believe me, you can do a better job of wiring then I did. I took a ton of short cuts because you just can't see the engine that well.
Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2015 - 09:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That looks awesome, love it!

Damian,
Thanks Buddy. It's much appreciated.
Joel
Kilo_Uniform
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 280 posts
AeroScale: 141 posts
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2015 - 09:33 PM UTC
Joel,

I've been following your build from the sidelines (starting with your Scooter) and I stand in awe of your skill and commitment to ensuring a realistic representation of the "real thing".

This build, your enhancements, painting, weathering, etc. - all top class. I hope to (one day) come close to your level of skill.

Hats off to you Sir!

Regards,
Kobus
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2015 - 10:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel,

I've been following your build from the sidelines (starting with your Scooter) and I stand in awe of your skill and commitment to ensuring a realistic representation of the "real thing".

This build, your enhancements, painting, weathering, etc. - all top class. I hope to (one day) come close to your level of skill.

Hats off to you Sir!

Regards,
Kobus

Kobus,
I'm truly humbled by what you said. I've never considered my skills anything but average. What I do, anyone can do. And yes, my builds are an attempt to duplicate to some level of the "real thing".

There are many modelers on this site whose skills far exceed mine. Brian, Matt, Tim, Paul, Ryszard, & Les are just a few of many.

My goal with blogging my builds is to share, both my accomplishments, ideas, and my failures (of which there are way too many).

Aeroscale is a community, not just a modeling site. Those that give, receive so much more in return.

Joel
Twentecable
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 339 posts
AeroScale: 244 posts
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2015 - 11:15 PM UTC
The engines are really coming out nice this way. Loveley detail to look at!

gr TC
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 01:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The engines are really coming out nice this way. Loveley detail to look at!

gr TC

Lars,
Thanks for your most welcome comments.
Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 02:45 AM UTC
Well, it's been a long 4 1/2 months from start to finish, but this afternoon I finally finished the PV-1 Ventura. After taking a few grab shots I discovered that I forgot to paint the wing tip lights, and I'm still deciding if I want to add exhaust streaks. The lights will be painted right before I do the final photo shoot. And that shoot will take place right after I build my copy of Paul's outstanding photo booth. I'm really looking forward to that.

Here's quick grab shot.

What I learned from this build is that I really need to think through what AM parts I buy for each build, if any. The nose replacement for $25 still looks almost exactly like the original molding to me. And all the Eduard PE including the IP really can't be seen all that well to justify adding them to the build. But the biggest issue I have in my decision to spend so much time in the radio/Nav compartment that can't really be seen at all.

The Quickboost engines, props, exhausts, and cowlings, As well as the True Detail wheels/Tires are AM parts that really made a huge difference.

Joel
SaxonTheShiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 1,233 posts
AeroScale: 663 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 07:13 AM UTC
Joel, the Ventura really looks good. The weathering you did on this scheme really depicts the bleak loneliness of maritime patrol. I have always loved the grey over white RAF and RCAF coastal schemes because both colors have the ability to show some good wear for a nice 3-D effect. The lines of the Ventura really are beautiful. I need to get back on my RAF version since you have inspired me.

Best wishes,

Ian
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 02:36 PM UTC
Hi Joel,
It reaaly looks sweet. I probably wouldn't have noticed the landing lights if you hadn' mentioned them. I find myself almost forgetting them every time. I like your aerial setup. I just used EZ line for the first time on my Shoki. What a great invention! I've touched it repearedly and it hasn't broken.

Looking forward to more photos,

Gary
Twentecable
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Overijssel, Netherlands
Posted: Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 11:20 PM UTC
Hi Joel
Your model looks great!
But (knowing I couldn't do it better muself) as a viewer I would like to bring in 2 points.
When I look at the model it is moderately weathered (which is nice), especially the light gray panel lines give me an impression of slight usage, in any case the planes doesnt look brand new from the factory. So on to my 2 points:
1. As a viewer I personally would like to see the panel lines of the white area more destinguished. Somehow it doesnt look right that the grey area has weathered panel lines and the white camo area not.
Second I think the wheels look to shiny. They dont only look new. they look like they have been washed and polished. Somehow for my eye it doensn't fit the hole picture.

Anyway those are my personal views and they dont any way change the fact you made a very nice model where you can be very proud of (at least I would be if I would have produced it) :-)

gr TC
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2015 - 12:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Joel
Your model looks great!
But (knowing I couldn't do it better muself) as a viewer I would like to bring in 2 points.
When I look at the model it is moderately weathered (which is nice), especially the light gray panel lines give me an impression of slight usage, in any case the planes doesnt look brand new from the factory. So on to my 2 points:
1. As a viewer I personally would like to see the panel lines of the white area more destinguished. Somehow it doesnt look right that the grey area has weathered panel lines and the white camo area not.
Second I think the wheels look to shiny. They dont only look new. they look like they have been washed and polished. Somehow for my eye it doensn't fit the hole picture.

Anyway those are my personal views and they dont any way change the fact you made a very nice model where you can be very proud of (at least I would be if I would have produced it) :-)

gr TC

Lars,

Thanks so much for your feedback, it's comments like yours that helps me to push my modeling to the next level. Sometimes the world of digital photography can be ones enemy as much as ones friend. This is certainly the case here, as my photography skills leave a lot to be desired.

The tires looks shiny because of the direct non-diffused lighting. Here's a few pictures I posted earlier of the tires that do show some wear and tear, as well as some dirt in the treads. that's not to say that another coat of flat may not be needed.

As for the panel lines in the white areas, they did receive a pin wash of a grayish dirt color. True that there are areas especially in the nose area that the wash is way too light to non-existent, but at this stage of the build, I'm not inclined to go and apply another one.

One thing that is apparent is that those type of details show up better in real life then in pictures unless one uses diffused soft light

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2015 - 12:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel, the Ventura really looks good. The weathering you did on this scheme really depicts the bleak loneliness of maritime patrol. I have always loved the grey over white RAF and RCAF coastal schemes because both colors have the ability to show some good wear for a nice 3-D effect. The lines of the Ventura really are beautiful. I need to get back on my RAF version since you have inspired me.

Best wishes,

Ian

Ian,
Thanks so much for your kind words. I completely agree that the PV-1 has some really nice lines that makes it standout from so many other Maritime aircraft. The Canadian camo scheme really struck me as the one I need to build as I was getting burnt out with the standard two tone USN schemes. When Jessica posted her review on those decals, then offered me my choice of which sheet. How could I resist. My modified black basing was the key to the weathering as it solves a multitude of issues.

Needless to say I'm looking forward to you continuing your build of the RAF version.

Joel

BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2015 - 01:22 AM UTC
That's a lovely Ventura, Joel! The Dark Sea Grey and White camo is really an eye catcher. Good to see, that you did not too much weathering on her. You put really much effort in the build with all that AM parts, much more than I did in mine oob. Now you need to build another Ventura in 3-tone-scheme ....
Meanwhile I have a second kit which I will paint in that Atlantic camo - "one day" ....
Looking forward to your next build!

Happy modelling!
Torsten
Twentecable
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Overijssel, Netherlands
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2015 - 02:42 AM UTC
Hi Joel,

thanks for receiving my comments a sports like you do. I appreciate that.

gr TC

PS I should have looked better, cq remember the earlier pictures... sorry for that.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2015 - 03:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That's a lovely Ventura, Joel! The Dark Sea Grey and White camo is really an eye catcher. Good to see, that you did not too much weathering on her. You put really much effort in the build with all that AM parts, much more than I did in mine oob. Now you need to build another Ventura in 3-tone-scheme ....
Meanwhile I have a second kit which I will paint in that Atlantic camo - "one day" ....
Looking forward to your next build!

Happy modelling!
Torsten

Torsten,
Thank you my friend for those most thoughtful and kind words. One day I hope to build another PV-1, but in USN colors. I'm looking forward to your Atlantic scheme effort when you decide to work your magic touch.
Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2015 - 03:58 AM UTC
Well, like all builds there is a start filled with optimism and great expectations. The build itself that always makes one return to reality. And finally with in my case equal parts luck, and some skill, one crosses the finish line, and the build becomes history.

In a sense for me, it's like saying goodbye to a close friend that you saw on daily basis. Now that friendship is only rekindled when you have the time to pull "her" out of the display case for a closer look.

Here's a sweet sixteen of my PV-1 build. Hope that you all enjoy the tour. It's the best I can do.

Joel