_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: "Zerstorer!" Campaign Thread
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 - 08:57 AM UTC

Ok folks, it's time to unleash the Zerstorers !

A BIG thanks to all of you from myself and Tortsen (BlackWidow) for such a good number and variety of proposed builds already.

The Campaign Rules and Regs and enlistment info can be found HERE for any newcomers.

The Official Campaign gallery can be found HERE

Below is the ROLL CALL list which I will keep updated as the Campaign progresses, so we can all view a summary of which builds are underway and what stage they are at.

Username Name Build
611_sqd Aaron IMAM Ro 57 (1/72 Special Hobby) CRASHED ON TAKE-OFF, WRITTEN OFF, TRAGEDY
611_sqd Aaron Me 410 (1/72 Fine Moulds) COMPLETED
Aaronpegram Aaron Mossie Mk IV FB (Tamiya)
Airgunner Steve
Atoplu Ayhan Bf 110 G-2 (1/48 Eduard)
Aurora-7 Michael Do 335 (1/48 Monogram)
AussieReg Damian Bf 110 (1/48 Pro-Modeller) OPENED THE BOX AND LOOKED INSIDE
Bigrip74 Robert Bf 110 (1/48 Revell)
Bigrip74 Robert P-38 (1/48 Monogram) ASSEMBLY UNDERWAY
BlackWidow Torsten Me 410 (1/48 Revell) COMPLETED BlackWidow Torsten Bf 110 (1/48 Revell) BASIC ASSEMBLY COMPLETE
Blueheeler Nick Mossie (1/48 Tamiya) COMPLETED
Camogirl Sam He 219 (1/48 Tamiya) COMPLETED
CavScoutSC John
Cinzano Fred Mosquito (1/48 Tamiya)
dbmdyxl Jiang P-61 (1/48 Monogram) MAJOR ASSEMBLY COMPLETED
Dcandal Daniel
Doubtingthomas Tom
drizzt73 Anthony He 215 Uhu (1/72 Tamiya + Aires + Eduard) COMPLETED
EDC Grant
Eman Lap Man Me 410B (1/48 Pro Modeller) COMPLETED
Emroglan Emre Bf 110 D (1/48 Eduard) CRASHED & BURNED, STRUCTURAL FAILURE
Greif8 Ernest Bf 110 G-4 (1/48 Eduard) COMPLETED
Iflytb20 Raj Bf 110 G-2 (1/48 Revell) COMPLETED
Jaeger8 Darek Bf 110 E (1/72 Airfix)
Jaypee John-Paul
Jayshack Jay Bf 110 (1/32 Dragon) INTERIOR COMPLETED
Kiwi Modeller Graham Me 262 B-1a/U1 (1/32 Trumpeter) COMPLETED
Krismax Simon
Lawlzw Lawrence Ki-45 “Nick” (1/72 Hasegawa) COMPLETED - AWESOME
Liberator Ed BF 110 C-7 (1/32 Dragon) COMPLETED
Litespeed Tim Beau NF (1/48 Tamiya)
Lucky13 Jan
MikeMx Mike
Mpatman Mark Beaufighter (1/48 Tamiya) ASSEMBLY UNDERWAY
Mykroft Adam Mossie NF XIX (1/72 Airfix) COMPLETED
Naseby Naseby Do 217 J (1/72 Italeri) COMPLETED
Phantom2 Stefan 1/32 Bf 110
Philippus Philip
Rochaped Pedro Bf 110G-2 (1/48 Eduard) COMPLETED
Ruffus Byron
Sayayin P-61 (1/48 Monogram)
SGTJKJ Jesper Bf 110 C/D (1/72 Matchbox) COMPLETED
SgtRam Kevin Bf 110 D-3 (1/48 Dragon) COMPLETED
Siderius Russell Ju-88 C-6 (1/72 Tamiya) COMPLETED
Snorri23 Trevor Bf 110 (1/48 Fujimi+True Details+Ultracast+Superscale) COMPLETED
SteveW Steve
Sundon Martin Bf 110 (1/48 Eduard) COMPLETED
Tigerbait Todd Bf 110
Tomcat31 Allen Type 11 Gekko “Irving” (1/48 Tamiya) COMPLETED, AWESOME JOB
Torchy Andy Mossie (1/24 Airfix) PAYLOAD TIME
TuomasH Tuomas
Vanize Vance Ju-88C-6 (1/48 Dragon) MAJOR ASSEMBLY STARTED
VonCuda Hermon
Warreni Warren Bf 110 C-7 (1/32 Dragon) INTERIOR UNDERWAY
Watimena Jeremy
wespe66 Kenneth Bf 110 C-7 (1/32 Dragon) COMPLETED
Wolfsangel Charlie

Welcome aboard, good luck with all of your builds, and please share your progress and thoughts on your builds whenever you can, we are all here to enjoy and learn from each other !!

Model on, Damian and Torsten
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2011 - 06:43 AM UTC
I started on the Revell Bf110 and an old Monogram P38.

The 110 kit came with this resin nose but I am unsure if I will use it.
Photobucket

This is an old mold, you can see the flash, hand size rivits that I started to sand off, I instlled the humpback to make this an M version and ran into the gap that is giving me some trouble. Just hope this does not turn out like D's F82
Photobucket
Photobucket

And so it begins.

Bob
aaronpegram
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 137 posts
AeroScale: 16 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2011 - 07:16 PM UTC
And so it does begin! Nice work Bob. I hope to start Tamiya's 1:48 Mossie this weekend, and will post some photos on Sunday night.

All the best,

Aaron.
mykroft
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 270 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 01:04 AM UTC
Unboxed the Mossie NF. XIX (NF30 was a typo on my part, it's an NF.XIX or a J.30 in Swedish service). Pictures to come soon, once I get my Lightroom catalog moved over to the shiny new PC.
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 07:35 AM UTC
The Monogram P-38M may be the easier kit to build. After testing the fit if the Bf110 I ran across some problems.
1. the fuselage is warped.
2. the nacelled fit to the wing per instructions is (a) nacelle to bottom wing half (b) insert top wing half to (a) the sequence has too many road bumps to make the mating of parts without smearing glue everywhere (in my case) impossible.

I had to slice through the joined section where the RO's hump was to let it loat. As it was the top and bottom wing halves were out ot line. I plan on inserting the cockpit then gluing the halves to gether and after they set glue the RO's hump in place. After everything is dry I will again try to fill in the root section at the hump. Here is the before pic of above.
Photobucket

Bob
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2011 - 03:19 AM UTC
While Sam has been having an mass airbrushing session I quickly jumped in and got the interior of the Gekko sprayed, with Tamiya X-32 Titanium Silver in some areas and Gunze H63 Metallic Blue Green in others.

That'll be all for a couple of weeks while i finish my B737 and Vindicator for some of the other campaigns I'm in
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2011 - 05:01 AM UTC
Ive got the base coat on the interior after some arguing over the bench and airbrush

Its coming on nicely so far
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2011 - 09:09 AM UTC
Good start of this campaign, folks! I hope I can start with my dual combo next week as I do some final works on my Airacobra this weekend. I wish you all success and happiness with your builds!
Damian, the Ki-45 Toryu of Lawrence is 1/48 and not 1/72. I have the same kit here.

Happy modelling!
Torsten
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2011 - 02:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Good start of this campaign, folks! I hope I can start with my dual combo next week as I do some final works on my Airacobra this weekend. I wish you all success and happiness with your builds!
Damian, the Ki-45 Toryu of Lawrence is 1/48 and not 1/72. I have the same kit here.

Happy modelling!
Torsten

Hi Tosten, it looks like we have created quite a montser here with lots of interest and a few started already ! I took out my Pro-Modeler 110 last night and had a good look over the sprues, and I found one half of the fuselage to have a patch that has not molded properly. I will post pics tonight, but I think I can smooth it over and rescribe the area ok. Other than that the fit and detail look to be really nice !!

BTW I got the scale for Lawrence's Ki-45 from the pic he posted on this page of the lead-up thread. It shows 1:72 on the instruction sheet.

Cheers, D
lawlzw
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 120 posts
AeroScale: 26 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2011 - 10:04 PM UTC
Hi Damian and Torsten, just to clarify, the Toryu i am building is 1/72 from Hasegawa. Interestingly, Hasegawa uses the same box art for both their 1/48 and 1/72 Toryu Kai Koh kits... which may have caused the confusion.

Enjoy your builds!
Lawrence
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2011 - 03:42 AM UTC
Ooops! Sorry, my mistake! Yes, now I've also read 1:72 ..... Now where are my glasses?
You're right, Lawrence, my Toryu is in 1/48 and comes in the same package .....

Happy modelling!
Torsten
611_sqd
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 470 posts
AeroScale: 99 posts
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2011 - 01:28 PM UTC
I might end up doing 2 for this build. The Romeo Ro57bis came in the mail today. Its a rare Italian destroyer that...well...um...well its totally crap. The plane not the kit. It suffered from all the usual destroyer problems. Heavy, underpowered etc. Ended up doing more ground attack because it couldn't handle the fighter role. But it does look cool. Big single seat twin engined fighter. It looks like you'd be king of the world flying it. Its skills didn't match its looks. Its 1/72 comes with photo etched and a bunch of resin. Looks a great kit, but it is expensive. This is a Xmas present for me but I don't know if its worth it. If we look at cost then you can get a good 1/48 kit for the cost of this 1/72. On the plus side is the resin and photo etched, it is a rare subject and the detail and overall fit look to be really good. So its tough. On one hand its like yeah its worth it, but on the other its like really expensive for a 1/72 fighter. I'm looking forward to seeing how well it goes. One of my closest friends gave me these words of encouragement. "Don't screw it up alright."

AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2011 - 11:38 PM UTC
Very nice looking aircraft Aaron ! I've picked that kit up several times at the LHS, and baulked at the price tag, but I really like the lines. It looks like it should be the Italian equivalent of the Whirlwind !

I'm looking forward to your build on this one, it may push me over the line to get my own one day.

Cheers, D
Kiwi_Modeller
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 188 posts
AeroScale: 62 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 05, 2011 - 12:30 AM UTC
hey D I aint forgotten bud just been tied up with mr BIGGGG kitty, once i get the main hull buttoned up i'll start the Jet , dis one

with the eduard cockpit set (color of course)

cheers,
Graham
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, March 05, 2011 - 01:09 AM UTC
Thanks Graham, noted in Roll Call. Very nice looking kit, I think the 262 would be my favorite WWII German fighter. I'm looking forward to your build here !

Cheers, D
611_sqd
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, March 05, 2011 - 03:04 AM UTC
@Damian: Its tough as I know we all want good deals without being cheap or unfair to the shops or manufacturers and Special Hobby did this bird and I consider myself knowledgeable enough on planes but I hadn't heard of it before. It looks great and I guess part of the price has to be for its rarity. By that I mean most big modeling companies stick to known favorites "We are going to release our new Spitfire Mk IX" so they go out on a limb and make a plane no one has heard of and load it with resin and photo etched. Had to be a risk for them. So on that side of things paying more seems reasonable. But about 45.00 is still wow.
drizzt73
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 158 posts
AeroScale: 70 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 05, 2011 - 09:26 PM UTC
Hi all, I will be doing a Tamiya HE219 "UHU" with Aires set and Eduard PE.

I will post some pics in the near future.

Cheers
Naseby
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovakia
KitMaker: 825 posts
AeroScale: 476 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 06, 2011 - 02:58 AM UTC
Well it seems all of You have already made a lot of progress, so its time for me to post at least few pictures obout the kit im going to build. The kit is old with raised panel lines, with sparse interior details and some shape issues, but aside from that its not that bad. I will do a little rescribing and I expect a lot of putty to be used, but hey, its nothing like the 1965 Ju-88 from Revell, right ?

emroglan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,163 posts
AeroScale: 255 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 06, 2011 - 06:24 AM UTC
I was very excited about this project... but similar to everything I was very excited about in my life, disaster struck. When I bought the kit from my LHS, everything seemed to be in order. I opened the box and checked the sprues just now, only to discover one of the packages were opened and some parts (pilot's seat, one of the flaps, one cockpit wall) were removed.

I'll contact the LHS tomorrow and return the kit. If they do have another Eduard 110 in stock, I can still join. If not... well, I'm afraid that will be the end of this campaign for me.
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 06, 2011 - 03:01 PM UTC
@ Naseby: I am doing the one step forward then two steps back dance with my Bf 110. It seems REVELL is trying to teach this old dog a new trick with the building squence. At the moment I have been installing the engine nacelles to the lower wing. Not a biggie, but when I test fitted the top wing to this assembly that little gremlin jumped out and started laughing at me. I am having a devil of a time trying to get the two halves to mate without my breaking something.

@ Emre: if this does not go well I intend on shipping this kit to you to help with your problem

Photos to follow soon

Bob
emroglan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2011 - 08:10 AM UTC
I contacted the LHS... It seems it is over a year since I bought the kit, so they can't give me a refund or change the kit with a new one. They advised me to contact Eduard and ask them for the missing parts. I did that, but I'm less than hopeful.

Bob, is that Revell's own kit or do the original moulds belong to someone else? If you give up and ship it to me, I might build you a moth-balled Bf 110, how's that for an idea?
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2011 - 10:35 AM UTC
@ Emre: the mold states that the kit is Revell - Monogram 1997, you have a deal if I come to the point of trashing it. I will send what is left to you and see what you can do with it.

Bob
611_sqd
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2011 - 11:37 AM UTC
Not a great pic, I need my other cam. But here is the unboxing of the IMAM Ro.57 decent amount of Resin in little bags. The detail looks crisp and well defined. Starting on the cockpit [your shocked right? Who ever starts with cockpits] this week. There is no information for the interior colors so Im going to have to wing it.

emroglan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2011 - 08:55 PM UTC
Bob, it is rather a new mold... but if it's Revell-Monogram, it might actually be an old Monogram kit. I'm not very knowledgable in aircraft moulds, sorry. Instead of thrashing it, you can try mothballing it yourself At least you'll have something different. If I get it I might go crazy, paint it yellow and put a Pikachu decal on it, you can never be sure after what I've done to that poor old Fuchs kit from Revell.

I think I'll try to build my kit as it is after I'm done with my P-40. As for the missing parts, I'll see what I can do. It is a populer kit in Turkey, but everyone is just buying and stashing it, saying it's "too valuable to build". If only I could understand the logic of that. I might have cannibalized a thrashed one if people were building it.
drizzt73
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 158 posts
AeroScale: 70 posts
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2011 - 09:45 PM UTC
Hi all,

After spending the last 5 days and most of the weekend on this I have made some progress. I have added the resin wheel bays and engine bay to the wings, and also finished the cockpit.

Lots to go but I need to push on as I want to have this done for my next local model club meet in 3 1/2 weeks

Cheers

P.S sorry about the poor pics- I will take some in better light next time
 _GOTOTOP