Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Stars of the VVS Official Thread
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2007 - 06:54 AM UTC
Well i managed to have a break in my depression and managed to spend the whole day modelling . I have made some progress on my entry for this campaign it is Hobbyboss's 1/72 Mig 3 (i thought id ease myself back into modelling slowly). I have done some scratch building in the cockpit and i thought it could use some extra detailing. Hoping to get it primed, painted and maybe even decaled tomorrow night while at cadets. Here's the kit so far:

Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2007 - 07:18 AM UTC
After a trip to my LHS on Saturday I came away as a proud owner of a Hobby Boss 1/72 Yak-3. So while I was waiting for glue and paint to dry on my Tomcat and Buccaneer over the last two days I started the Yak.

I added straps from tamiya tape and shortened the moulded in instrument panel so the rudder pedals could be seen and then fabricated a "make shift" panel out of plasti card with some holes drilled in to give a vague representation of a panel the rest of the kit went together with no serious problems and only needed a small amount of filler. The only other mod that i made was two blanking plates lightly scribed with a mesh pattern for the scoop on the underside as after fitting it you could see straight through The hardest part so far has been masking the canopy due to the curve that it has

I got so carried away with the kit I only remember to take a picture as I finished for the day when it was ready for sanding the filler and priming.

Sorry Jean-Luc looks like you'll have to update your table now
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2007 - 08:38 AM UTC
Hi all!

Quoted Text

Sorry Jean-Luc looks like you'll have to update your table now

Samantha and Allen, no problem, it will be a pleasure!

Fabian, how was your trip in France?

Jean-Luc
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2007 - 03:54 PM UTC

Hi there. I've decided to try one of these campaigns for the first time. They look like a fun way to give a bit of direction to what subjects i model. Just as long as you all don't mind having someone that primarily builds 1/20 Formula One cars joining? Hopefully i worked out how to attach the pic, my subject is to be the Eduard boxing of the Yak 1b, using the box top scheme of course. I have a few backup subjects i can use from the stash if it goes horribly wrong for some reason !

I'm probably about 3 or 4 days from finishing my current build, then i'll start this one.

Andrew
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2007 - 06:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm probably about 3 or 4 days from finishing my current build, then i'll start this one.

Hi Andrew!

Welcome aboard!

Nice choice this Yak-1b. I didn't saw this boxing from Eduard before but I agree the paintscheme looks great. I can't wait to see what a Formula One car builder will do out of this one!

Jean-Luc
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2007 - 11:02 PM UTC
Talking about updating the participant table, hold on a sec and spare yourself some trouble, as I'm almost done with my La-7. At the moment, there's just the antenna wire to attach, and a few bits to paint (gloss to the navigation lights and flat varnish to super glue seams).
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2007 - 11:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Talking about updating the participant table, hold on a sec and spare yourself some trouble...

Hi Eetu!

Alright... thanks for the heads up. As soons as you are finished I'll post a new table.

Jean-Luc
winters1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Brussels, Belgium
KitMaker: 166 posts
AeroScale: 64 posts
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2007 - 11:43 PM UTC
Despite the bad wheater it was a very nice trip, altough I don't eat foie gras (out of principle) and don't really drink wine. But the Irish pubs we visited had nice Guinness
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 07:13 AM UTC
Here's a last WIP posting before showing you my finished entry. Today was the day for final assembly and finishing touches.
Installing the antenna wire went smoothly, thanks to the metal radio mast I made. The flimsy kit part would have surely ended up snapping in two at some point.
Here the wires have been attached and the insulators(?) made from small drops of PVA glue.

So far, this build had been going smoothly, almost too smoothly. Nothing had broken up, I hadn't messed up anything. well, that Murphy's law that keeps projects from finishing too smoothly, kicked in and while dabbling with the wires, I knocked off half of the pitot tube against my desk.
I cut off the remains and glued in a piece of styrene rod.

If nothing else goes wrong, I should have this finished tomorrow.
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 10:17 AM UTC
Well i had a bumper evening at the sqn, as the cadets dont start my class until thursday, i had a peaceful night and i got my entry completly finished. This is a first for me a two day build (does this mean i also get the betheyn speed build award lol )

betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 10:39 AM UTC
Some great entries and in progress pics so far, keep up the good work.
I still haven't decided yet between the La-7 or the Yak 3,decisions decisions .

Quoted Text

does this mean i also get the bethyn speed build award lol

I got an award .
Andy
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 08:57 PM UTC
Looks good, Samatha. The white and red colours go well together and make it a striking build!

I am gonna try one of these speed builds one day

Thanks for sharing
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 09:33 PM UTC
Here's my entry.

I hope that doesn't clog up your connection too badly. I'll go and upload a couple of pics to the campaign gallery as well.
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
AeroScale: 71 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 12:50 PM UTC
I've been building my Mi-28 without asking first if helos are OK...
So: are they OK?

Here are some pics I took this weekend.

Silly putty is great.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 06:49 PM UTC
Hi all!

Samantha and Eetu, congratulations to both of you for very fine models. Thanks a lot for participating!

Quoted Text

I've been building my Mi-28 without asking first if helos are OK...
So: are they OK?

Of course they are allowed Andras, they just have to wear red stars. Welcome aboard!

Jean-Luc
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2007 - 12:04 AM UTC
I made a start on the Eduard/AM Yak 1b today. Managing to get all the interior and detail bits primed (i prime pretty much everything) and what subassemblies i could together.
One annoying thing i noticed was the AM copyright logo on the lower wing trailing edge...and i don't mean on the inside either
So it had to be carefully removed from the inbetween the nice rivet detail. Surely they can put those somewhere unseen? I thought only Revell did that sort of theing way back in the old days, i didn't expect to see it in modern times.

I've read of bad fit issues with the upper decking, so i taped the fuselage to test this out. Fit is perfect! I'm guessing the problems are only with the Razor Back version then. Wing to body join doesn't look as good...but i have a cunning plan i 'av...

Andrew

CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 01:20 AM UTC
Cockpit done... all 26 or so colour photo etch bits included. Getting that Eduard instrument panel/side console between the side frames was tricky...but skill and dexterity prevailed! And bad language too.

Andrew

CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 04:20 PM UTC
The Yak 1b just passed the primer stage. Tamiya laquer based spray primer like usual. I always spray laquers outside and like usual it started to rain. So i ahve to lightly sand a few water marks out of the primer.

So far none of the fit problems that i read about have occured . The top deck fit perfect, the wing to body join needed convincing but turned out ok. Only the mid canopy section looks strange...apperas to sit to high in the closed position. I think it's to clear the aft canopy section when it's open, which is how i'll be displaying it anyway.

This build is going to easily...something bad must be going to happen soon

TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 06:06 PM UTC
Hi Andrew!

Looks very good so far! Keep the pictures coming...

Jean-Luc
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 07:25 PM UTC
Your Yak is looking superb so far. I especially like the busy cockpit.

Quoted Text

This build is going to easily...something bad must be going to happen soon
]

That's what I'm feeling sometimes too!
There's usually something that goes wrong in every build I do. A broken pitot tube, scratched clear parts, ruined decals etc.
And if nothing hasn't gone wrong, the chances are that I'll drop a finished model at the last moment before putting it to the display shelf.
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 10:46 PM UTC
Well, still nothing has gone bad yet. Been busy today. Done the top colour- Light Gull Grey...that's what Eduard says. Bottom, Pollyscale VVS unserside blue. And then masked and sprayed the red tail. Plus a bit of subtle shading. Should be getting decals on tomorrow i hope.

Andrew

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 06:14 PM UTC
It is nice to see so many cool builds so early in the campaign. I am sure the campaign folder for this campaign will be stuffed with lots of cool photos.

Thanks for sharing your progress everyone
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 08:09 PM UTC
And decals are on. There are a couple of traps to avoid for anyone doing this actual scheme. Eduard made a few mistakes with the decals for this kit and put in a second errata decal sheet. They apply to the scheme i'm doing.

The border between the red tail is a thin white pin-stripe which is provided as a decal. It is no where near long enough to make it all the way around the fuselage as required! There is almost a 1cm gap at the top and 1/2cm at the bottom that needs to be filled with either painting or, as i did, slicing up one of the unused white numbers from the other schemes. Use the cut strips to bridge the gaps top and bottom. It works out ok.

The other problem was almost a disaster! The stars on the fin and rudder are also on the errata sheet and are 2 part- white and red. But they are not labelled at all as to which one matches which and for right or left. To me they looked perfectly symetrical. Well they are not!

I found out after 5 minutes trying to line up the red stars over the white background. It just wouldn't happen. Finally i realised that they must be left and right sided after all. Luckily i managed to flood it in water and rescue the decal, despite already using setting solution on it . If Eduard had of labelled them like all the other decals there could be no mistake. But all ends well.

There are some nice decals left over for some other schemes, if i ever stumble on an Accurate Miniatures kit at a good price.

Andrew
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 03:24 AM UTC
Hi Andrew!

Your Yak is superb and I like the paintscheme very much! Great job!

Jean-Luc
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 04:42 AM UTC
Very nice looking Yak Andrew.
Great job on the masking!
Nige