_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
REVIEW 1:32 AEG G.IV
CaptnTommy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 424 posts
AeroScale: 389 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 08:31 PM UTC
Awesome, discussion on the props. And beautiful props, Merlin.

But.... (Isn't there always someone who throws the wrench in the drive train?)

When producing Laminated Props. The Manufacturing plans say how to lay the laminations. SO... Both Props should look almost identical i.e., the same colors for the same laminations. It has to do with bending moments, stiffness and vibration and to match the Motor. However, your props could be from different manufacturers.
Then again who will Know. It is a model, and a beautifully done one at that. The props too.

Captn Tommy
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 12:24 AM UTC
Hi Tom

Many thanks once again for your kind remarks. Balancing the props definitely rings true and, again, I did consider trying to paint identical patterns on each prop, even though the result would be visually less appealing.

I probably should have posted this photo earlier, when we first began discussing the number of laminations:

You can see why a "simple" item like propellers can be such a minefield for someone like me, relatively inexperienced with serious WWI modelling. It's from Datafile #51 - and because it seems to both show a limited number of laminations along with different pattern on each prop, I (maybe mistakenly) took it to be a green light to go ahead and paint the props as you see them.

One thing I definitely love about threads like this is the way a seemingly trivial modelling choice can open up a whole avenue of discussion.

All the best

Rowan
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 12:55 AM UTC
Rowan,
While I certainly know less then you, or for that matter just about anyone else when it comes to WW1 aircraft, your props do indeed look like those in the picture. So with this information now coming to light, will you be leaving your props as is?
Joel
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 01:26 AM UTC
Hi Joel

Well, it seems a shame to ditch them, so I won't chuck them away, because they turned out looking reasonably "wooden" - even if the pattern is debatable:

But I've already started playing with a couple of the other types of prop in the kit to see what else I can come up with. As you can see, my prop isn't the same make as the ones in the photo.

All the best

Rowan
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 02:08 AM UTC
Rowan,
The only question I have after looking a bit closer to the photograph is that the hub mounting plate looks much darker then the prop. while you have it as the same color as the wood that it's attached to. At least that's how it looks on my monitor.
Joel
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 02:12 AM UTC
Hi Joel

I hadn't painted the boss when I took the photo. The instructions say to use aluminium but, like you've noticed too, I reckon it should be much darker.

All the best

Rowan
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 09:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Joel

I hadn't painted the boss when I took the photo. The instructions say to use aluminium but, like you've noticed too, I reckon it should be much darker.

All the best

Rowan

Rowan,
My gut reaction is that it was most likely natural metal, and just oxidized over time.
Joel
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2015 - 12:34 AM UTC
Hi Joel

Colour shots of the preserved G.IV seem to show a dull, dark metal, so you may well be correct.

All the best

Rowan
CaptnTommy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 424 posts
AeroScale: 389 posts
Posted: Monday, June 08, 2015 - 02:15 AM UTC
Merlin

That New Picture of your prop, is fantastic! I for one would use them as is, they are that good. Envy....

Interesting picture. I should have looked at my Datafile before I spoke. I try not to pick or Nit. If you have a picture then the sky's the limit. I can see no decals on the Photo because I am curious now whether they are from different manufacturers.

Nice
Captn Tommy
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, June 08, 2015 - 12:28 PM UTC
Hi Tom

Many thanks. You can see how I took the route I did. I'll carry on playing with the other props, if only because I need to practise trying to replicate wood effects, but I may end up using the ones I've already done.

I'll be basically out of action for the next week or so due to heavy work at Oxfam, so it'll be a little while before I can get back to the workbench. I'll be keen to crack on when I get the chance.

All the best

Rowan
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2015 - 12:26 AM UTC
Hi again

Woohoo! Three days off work ahead! It's my first break in months, so I must make the most of it. I've got other projects on the go too, but it'll be such a treat to get back to this beauty!

I bought a bunch of thin wire and tube a few weeks ago (is it that long already?!), so I guess the first thing I should do is have a play at making some turnbuckles etc.

All the best

Rowan
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 10:13 PM UTC
This is looking real nice. I am happy to say this kit and another Albatross are prepping for a trip to Southern Indiana as I write this. I only hope I can do as nice a build as you are doing. Wow.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 01:54 AM UTC
Hi Carl

How are things going? Thank you for taking an interest and your kind words on my effort on the AEG. You won't regret buying one - it really is a gorgeous kit - and I'm sure you'll put me to shame when you tackle it.

I'm sad to say I have no new updates. A couple of days off work disappears all too quickly, and competition from a Comet and a Spitfire put paid to any progress on the AEG.

But the main thing is that I'm back at the workbench finally, and things are looking less crazy at work, so I'll get back underway as soon as I can.

All the best

Rowan
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2015 - 01:09 AM UTC
Hi again

Wow! I seriously do need to get back to this! Sorry for the total no-show lately - I've suffered a major energy-sap through work for Oxfam and haven't managed anything at the workbench.

It's all in a cause that's obviously far more important than sticking bits of plastic together as a pastime(!), but I have to admit I'm looking forward to a day off.

All the best

Rowan
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2015 - 04:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Carl

How are things going? Thank you for taking an interest and your kind words on my effort on the AEG. You won't regret buying one - it really is a gorgeous kit - and I'm sure you'll put me to shame when you tackle it.

Rowan

Trying to get back to the model room. I have been able to spend some time on a D.VII after a few years off for numerous reasons. But life is good and I am back.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 10:03 PM UTC
Hi Carl

It's good to have you back with us - and here's to the D.VII.

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP