Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
REVIEW 1:32 AEG G.IV
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2015 - 11:33 AM UTC
That looks good Rowan, I suspect that the "chipping fluid" is actually hair spray, without any perfume! I've ben experimenting with a technique that will do this but with enamels but no joy yet!
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2015 - 12:25 PM UTC
Cheers Mal

Yes, I expect it is basically the same sort of stuff, as the technique for using it seems the same as what I've read for hairspray. It certainly works beautifully easily - it's nice when something does exactly what it says on the pot.

I've only ever read about the technique working with acrylics, so if you manage to achieve the same results with enamels, please do share it with us - you'll start a new trend.

All the best

Rowan
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2015 - 09:26 PM UTC
I will, but of course it requires some medium that doesn't effect the "hairspray" layer, I'm working on it
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2015 - 11:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I will, but of course it requires some medium that doesn't effect the "hairspray" layer, I'm working on it

Hi Mal

Actually, as I understand it, you need to find another substance to replace and do the same job as the "hairspray" layer - because I imagine that's what softens the acrylic paint applied onto it, allowing it to be attacked with water. So, it requires something that will dry and still mess with enamels in the same way, while leaving what's underneath intact. I'm sure there is something that'd do it. It's moments like these when I wish I'd been interested in chemistry at school.

All the best

Rowan
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 01:48 AM UTC
Hi again

Nothing new to show, but I worked on a few details this morning. I should get a couple of hours free tomorrow, so I hope to make a bit more progress towards finishing the interior. That'll be a real milestone.

I can honestly say this is one of the most enjoyable builds I've ever embarked upon - a gorgeous kit that's introducing me to new techniques and stretching my comfort zone all the way... it pretty much sums up what we all do this for!

All the best

Rowan
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 11:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Mal

Actually, as I understand it, you need to find another substance to replace and do the same job as the "hairspray" layer - because I imagine that's what softens the acrylic paint applied onto it, allowing it to be attacked with water. So, it requires something that will dry and still mess with enamels in the same way, while leaving what's underneath intact. I'm sure there is something that'd do it. It's moments like these when I wish I'd been interested in chemistry at school.

All the best

Rowan

Mmmm, maybe, but I don't think that the "hairspray" layer actually softens the overlying acrylic paint, rather it protects the underlying acrylic paint. Having said that the "hairspray" layer wouldn't be required if the first paint layer was something other than water based acrylics. I believe this technique to have been developed by someone that only uses acrylics. The hairspray is a mild hotter varnish than an acrylic varnish, that would be effected by the scrubbing action? But I take your point and that certainly might be the case. So far, in my experiments, hairspray, Klear or Alclad II clear varnish do not protect the underlying enamel/cellulose (MR Paint) paint layer, even if a mild solvent based thinner is used, so a more robust barrier is required

I do need to build one of these WNW kits
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 09:39 PM UTC
Hi Mal

I think the hairspray must react in some way with the acrylic paint laid over it, or you wouldn't be able to eat into it so easily with nothing more than water. Acrylics aren't traditionally as robust as enamels when fully cured, but they're not that easily damaged without a bit of help.

All the best

Rowan
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2015 - 02:04 AM UTC
Hi again

Just a quick progress shot to reassure you all that I haven't given up!

Things are mostly just tacked in place to allow me to bend the seat harnesses to shape, but it gives an idea of how it's coming along. I'll probably have a bit of a play with pastels, but a lot will be hidden once the top decking is in place, so I won't go overboard adding detail that'll never be seen (I was going to add bomb release toggles in the "Pulpit" up front, but the bombs will hide them, so I probably won't bother).

My target is to get the cockpit done by the end of the week - and it looks like I might get enough time off from Oxfam to achieve that (touch wood!).

All the best

Rowan
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2015 - 11:50 AM UTC
No that is looking mighty good Rowan There are a lot of bombs, far more than I would have expected, they're not very big but they're big enough to ruin someones day!

Quoted Text

Hi Mal

I think the hairspray must react in some way with the acrylic paint laid over it, or you wouldn't be able to eat into it so easily with nothing more than water. Acrylics aren't traditionally as robust as enamels when fully cured, but they're not that easily damaged without a bit of help.

All the best

Rowan

Mmmmm, putting it like that then yes you are probably right, but with enamels you would need some type of thinner and that would require a barrier to protect the underlying paint. It would be interesting to try this technique with a first layer of enmael paint and a second layer of acrylic, with no "Hairspray" layer, to see if it still works?
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 12:43 AM UTC
Cheers Mal

It's getting there. There are a lot more bombs to come - some of them a fair bit bigger. While the load pales in comparison to later bombers, you certainly wouldn't want to have been caught in a raid.

All the best

Rowan
RYSZARD
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Krakow, Poland
KitMaker: 486 posts
AeroScale: 485 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 10:04 PM UTC
Very, very, good job
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 12:25 AM UTC
Hi Ryszard

Many thanks for your kind words - they're much appreciated.

All the best

Rowan
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 12:06 AM UTC
Hi again

Well, surprise, surprise! - I've fallen short of my target of finishing the cockpit by the end of the week. I've got to work tomorrow, but should have a day off on Monday so... fingers crossed... I should make a good bit of progress.

I've been partly distracted by messing about with the ignition wiring for the engines - drilling out the "pips" on the magnetos etc. I'm doing both engines, although I intend to have one fully cowled, so the work will be hidden. I'll know it's in there though.

All the best

Rowan
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 01:51 AM UTC
knowing " that it's in there " is all you need

Very clean paint work Rowan , well done !

Terri
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 10:38 AM UTC
But you are moving forward, which is the main point
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 09:41 PM UTC
Cheers Terri and Mal

I always knew this wouldn't be a quick build. The engines are almost kits in themselves - and in more skilled hands than mine they could be works of art.

All the best

Rowan
CaptnTommy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 424 posts
AeroScale: 389 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 08:47 PM UTC
A quick question....

I notice the light grey 12 kg bombs. shouldn't they be closer to a more light bluish grey? or is my color tuner going too grey??

beautiful Work thus far.

Captn Tommy
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 09:41 PM UTC
Cheers Tom

They are more blue to the naked eye than came out in the photos. I painted them with one of the many variations of RLM 76. My dirty weathering has probably shifted the colour a bit too.

All the best

Rowan
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 09:46 PM UTC
Hi again

The cockpit's tantalisingly close to being done... there's always one more strut to add (or three at this point - and probably more later!):

I hope to get the basic cockpit completed this evening, and I'll be back on schedule - kind of.

All the best

Rowan
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2015 - 02:47 AM UTC
Hi again

A couple more shots to show the state of play:

I turned the page in the instructions and, as predicted, found a couple more struts to add! They can wait for another day.

All the best

Rowan
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2015 - 03:50 AM UTC
Stunning work so far Rowan.
I am enjoying this build, so please don't get bored and put it in the never to be completed stash .

Andy
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2015 - 11:02 AM UTC
Yep, stunning work Rowan
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2015 - 12:00 PM UTC
Cheers guys

Don't worry, Andy - I'll try to keep ploughing on.

All the best

Rowan
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2015 - 11:22 PM UTC
Rowan – you've outdone yourself!

Beautiful in every way. I actually picked up some chipping fluid a couple of weekends ago – I might just steal your trick on this one. (I'm very close to ordering myself a late AEG).

All the best – and thanks for the compliment Rowan
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 12:06 AM UTC
Thank you Mikael - that is praise indeed!

I'm definitely a convert of this chipping fluid. I'll try it on the exhausts, where I think it could produce a really interesting effect.

I know it's a lot of money, but have no fear - you will absolutely love the kit if you buy it. I can't wait to see make you make of it.

All the best

Rowan