Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Support Aircraft Campaign
Dermo245
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 42 posts
AeroScale: 29 posts
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2012 - 12:39 AM UTC
Yep, some great work already here - well done. Just a quick update on my build. First, the kit contents...

Nice detail for a small kit..

Cockpit started and then taped together to see how it all fits.

Got some primer on last night (no photos) so painting interior details tonite!

Cheers,
Dermot

vertigo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 388 posts
AeroScale: 225 posts
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2012 - 08:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Question for the group: Would, by the campaign terms, a Nakajima A6m-2 Rufe qualify for this campaign build? I'm looking for a candidate to add to this that isn't a super long build. I have this kit coming shortly and I have some add on bits that will go with it. It was originally intended as a seaplane fighter but it was also used as a maritime recce platform. If the group feels its too close to the edge I guess it will have to be either a North American F-6B or a Yak 7 trainer.

Cheers,
Fred

I think I'll have to say no to the Rufe. I had a quick read about it on Wikipedia and from what I've gathered it was designed and used mostly for hunting and attacking PT boats.

The F-6B and the Yak 7 would both be good entries though.
cinzano
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 419 posts
AeroScale: 378 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - 12:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think I'll have to say no to the Rufe. I had a quick read about it on Wikipedia and from what I've gathered it was designed and used mostly for hunting and attacking PT boats.

The F-6B and the Yak 7 would both be good entries though.

Fair enough.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Recce Mustang.

Cheers,
Fred
fiasco
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 05, 2012 - 11:08 PM UTC
Well it's been about 2 years since I last made anything. erichvon from the armorama side has spurred me into action, so with an awakened enthusiasm I am embarking on a project I started about 12 years ago! The Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Millenium Collection.
This was a box set released in 1999 of all the aircraft from the BBMF.
I have made a couple of the spits and hurricanes already.
This campaign is just the excuse I need to make up the C47 as Y SH in 77sqn markings.
The airfix campaign starting later in the year will give me the incentive to make up the pair of Chipmunks.

So I have been up in the loft and pulled out the Italeri C47 kit and had a browse of the instructions. A bit of research to do to see if there are any easy modifications I need to make. Essentially this one will be pretty much OOB.

ltb073
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,662 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2012 - 03:35 AM UTC
Some nice work here people
I have been putting several coat of paint on this giant, wings and tail are dry fit, cause I dont have room on my bench for this monster
Photobucket
next up some hand painting and some of the over 100 decals
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2012 - 05:24 AM UTC
Wow, what a beast, Sal. Looks great so far and I am sure it will be very cool in full colors!

Looking forward to see more.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2012 - 06:01 AM UTC
I have now checked my stash and have a ton of kits that would work for this campaign.

However, I would like to build a 1/48 Do 335A-3 which is the recon version of the standard Do 335A-1. The Do 335A-3 was only planned, but never build.

Would a Do 335A-3 be allowed for this campaign? If yes, I will convert the standard aircraft to an A-3 version.
vertigo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Sunday, April 08, 2012 - 09:20 AM UTC
If you have the plans and you're willing to put in the work to make the conversion then I'd say go ahead, should make for an interesting build.
Dermo245
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2012 - 11:39 AM UTC
Hey everyone and hope you enjoying the Easter weekend. I'm sick of chocolate at this stage so here's the latest WIP on this build..

Painted up the interior and added the kit decals for the instruments and seatbelts.

Then scratched something together to look like the screens for the back seat observer..

Painted up and installed, along with some random instrument decal (spares box) to make it more interesting. Also added the front seats, pedals and controls.

Will close her up tonight and add the tailboom, rear engine cover and intake.

Thanks for reading and enjoy your modelling.

Dermot
Dermo245
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2012 - 01:17 AM UTC
So here's the latest on my build for this campaign.

Fuselage halves before being buttoned up..

And with the tail now added.

This kit has a number of inaccuracies (which I'm not going to try fixing) but one change was to move the lower landing skids back a touch - here's the before..

And the after. I know it doesn't look like a lot but I need the extra clearance front and back when I add the side-mounted FLIR and Nitesun equipment.

And the before and after on the kit istelf.

Off to paint next and decals have been ordered!

Thanks for reading and enjoy your modelling.

Dermot
Snorri23
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 514 posts
AeroScale: 244 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2012 - 01:09 AM UTC
Since I have finished the DFS 230 quite early in this campaign I am going to do a Ju 52 ambulance. So along with some photos of the D.F.S. are some of the started Ju 52.
STH70027
STH70028
Photobucket
STH70032
cinzano
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2012 - 07:24 AM UTC

Here's my support entry. I'm not going to pretend that this is a stellar kit. (its not). Its soft on detail both inside and out, and the trailing edges on all the control surfaces are really thick. This is why, after my disappointment upon opening the box, it sat in the furthest reaches of my build closet for the past couple of years. On the plus side, the lines seem reasonably good and the fit looks acceptable too.

The thing is I really want to do a 'haze blue' USAAF aircraft. So, to that end, I'm going to make a good go of it for this campaign. I'll try to spruce up some of the kit deficiencies without getting too sucked into a time sink/money pit build. Hopefully I can compensate with a nice paint finish and make the build deadline.

Cheers,
Fred
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 - 06:11 AM UTC
Sounds like a plan, Fred. Looking forward to see more when you cut into the plastic.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 - 06:23 AM UTC
Since Stephen sent me the kit and it needs to be built, I'm going to chime in with Roden's T-28 Trojan.
oraora
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kuching, Malaysia
KitMaker: 216 posts
AeroScale: 128 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 - 09:08 PM UTC
Some nice progress, guys.

I have manage to start my build.

ltb073
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2012 - 09:26 AM UTC
Ok I think I am ready to get this beast off of my workbench Photobucket
It has over 100 decals on it 64 on the propellers alone
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
It didnt turn out as well as I would have liked but I never built a kit this big. Any comments or suggestions will be welcome
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2012 - 10:45 AM UTC
It looks well squared away from here, sir.
The props are beautiful, the cockpit windows are perfect, and the orange looks great! We could do a dayglow orange era campaign, a short lived but spectacular period in US avaiation. Ive enjoyed watching this beast come together. The 377 in all its forms was a fascinating plane.

Just one cloud on the scene that I can see, is it really tail sitting?! If so, can I send you a piece of lead to fix that? I have a big slab of it. You just need to carefully cut open a door or something under the nose and slide in a slice of lead with some 5 minite epoxy...
ltb073
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2012 - 01:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It looks well squared away from here, sir.
The props are beautiful, the cockpit windows are perfect, and the orange looks great! We could do a dayglow orange era campaign, a short lived but spectacular period in US avaiation. Ive enjoyed watching this beast come together. The 377 in all its forms was a fascinating plane.

Just one cloud on the scene that I can see, is it really tail sitting?! If so, can I send you a piece of lead to fix that? I have a big slab of it. You just need to carefully cut open a door or something under the nose and slide in a slice of lead with some 5 minite epoxy...

Thanks for the complements there Jonathan and yes it is tail sitting but thats ok cause it will be hung from fishing line in my basement gym so I have something to look at between exercises
Is there a Gallery where I need to post photos of my finished item???
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2012 - 07:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Is there a Gallery where I need to post photos of my finished item???

The first post of a campaign will have a link to the gallery. but just in case it doesn't, it can be found here
Dermo245
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Sunday, May 06, 2012 - 01:41 AM UTC
Some great work here everyone!

Here's the latest on this tiny chopper. Scratched together a new Nitesun/Flir to replace the kit supplied part (the one in the middle)

And how it will look when glued on.

And last nite with some paint on

Thanks for reading and enjoy your builds!

Dermot
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 06, 2012 - 04:39 AM UTC
Out of curiosity, since I don't have anything else to do , would a troop transport qualify? Like a C-47 or Ju-52 paratroop carrier? Or, if I'm really out of my gourd, a C-130 from Entebbe?

Michael
cinzano
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 06, 2012 - 06:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Out of curiosity, since I don't have anything else to do , would a troop transport qualify? Like a C-47 or Ju-52 paratroop carrier? Or, if I'm really out of my gourd, a C-130 from Entebbe?

Michael

I would just hope its at least 1/72

Got finally "stuck in" with this campaign this week. Lots of things to do to keep my bird looking more like a scale model and less like a Hasbro toy.

Finishing up office suite and will post some progress pics. tonight.

Cheers,
Fred
oraora
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kuching, Malaysia
KitMaker: 216 posts
AeroScale: 128 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 06, 2012 - 06:51 PM UTC
Sal, beautiful build you got there. The red on the silver looks really nice.

Dermot, great progress on your ec135. The company that I currently worked for, operates a few of this heli.

Managed to do some updates. I followed the colours stated in the instructions, but i still think the camo looks abit weird..

vertigo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Wednesday, May 09, 2012 - 07:12 AM UTC
You're all doing great work here guys, I'm very impressed.

Unfortunately my personal situation is ongoing and I'm just not able to devote as much time to the campaign as I'd like.

As such I'm looking for volunteers to take over the running of the campaign, would anyone like to step forward?
cinzano
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2012 - 12:55 AM UTC
(relating to campaign chaperone: Is the campaign badge already designed? I find that to be the hardest part.)

Build update: Broken the seal on this little project over the past week. Its turned into a bit of a kit bash between an _old_ Monogram kit (4o+ year old molds and in my stash since 1992) and the Minicraft kit. Both kits were, until this campaign unloved orphans of my stash. This is my chance to gleen something rewarding from them. In many ways the Monogram kit is still superior but the corrections required were more time than I wanted to spend. To that end I have begun using parts from it to spruce up the Minicraft kit. ie: the seat, gear bay doors, and air scoop facings.

Starting off with the cockpit tub, the Minicraft kit is pretty spartan (kind of a blank canvas). Began adding wires, redoing the control column and adding some vintage PE parts from an old TD fret. Looks a little more busy now and should be respectably presentable once I close the fuse up.

The air intakes on the Minicraft kit are kind of weak so I moded them with plasti-card and Monogram parts.

Cheers,
Fred