World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Ju 388- Planet Models 1/48 Resin
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 817 posts
AeroScale: 729 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2011 - 03:47 PM UTC
You're too kind, fellas- thanks!

A bit more progress- show us, Hannah!

willy74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Italy
KitMaker: 6 posts
AeroScale: 5 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2011 - 05:39 PM UTC
Brilliant job!
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2011 - 03:23 PM UTC
Thank you, Willy!

I wish all my fellow Americans a safe and happy holiday weekend- and hope that you will join me in giving thanks to those who gave all in the service of our nation.

Fritzi needs a break, too- let's check in on her progress...

jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 09:54 AM UTC
Hope you are enjoying this as much I am watching it. You make these things look easy, just need to keep the end in sight and work at each detail in turn. How you keep it all in your head/organised? Amazing stuff.
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2011 - 03:33 PM UTC
Ah, John-Paul, when you work as slowly as I do it's easy to keep organized!

Something new for me- zenithal lighting! Show, 'em, Fritzi!

TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2011 - 07:41 PM UTC
Hi Chuck,

Fantastic work on the "Zenithal Lightning" technique and great tutorial as well. I will probably try this technique in the future.

How did you apply the surfacer 1200? Thinned with the airbrush?

Jean-Luc
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2011 - 03:46 AM UTC
Thanks, Jean-Luc! Yes, I sprayed it on, thinned 50/50 with Mr Color Thinner. You can see some graininess on the port sidewall- I should have given it a light buffing. Too much pressure, maybe- causing it to dry before it hit the surface? Definitely the hardest part of this step was getting the darned stuff to spray!

Cheers!
chuk
rochaped
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 679 posts
AeroScale: 669 posts
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2011 - 01:31 PM UTC
Good grief Chuck, is there no ending to your skills????

Seeing you tutorial is a bipolar experience, enriching & depressing at the same time! If only I had do one third of your scratching capabilities & planning, I would improve my models to another level.

Thanks for sharing all your tips with us

Cheers
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2011 - 06:32 AM UTC
Thanks, Pedro!

This post is dedicated to the memory of Tom Wesendorf- he will be missed!

The best laid plans and all that! I had this update ready on Monday, the 4th of July, but technical issues have delayed it until now. I'm up and running on a somewhat shaky basis, but let's get on with the show- and seal up that fuselage at long last!

GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 595 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2011 - 08:46 AM UTC

Great work Chuck!

I like the fact that you added length to adress the fuselage mismatch rather than cut length off, as I think that is likely the sounder approach.

I saw the jig you did to ensure symmetry at the beginning: Somehow I had missed it!

I got my FW-190C by Planet Models, and I have to say they are a very impressive resin maker. The symmetry, straightness and finesse of the trailing edges is really top notch... The flat canopy and the windshield is wrong, more like an Eduard kit, but I had anticipated that by having a spare Hasegawa canopy...

They have a wide selection of very oddball subjects, and appear generally more serious in accuracy than a lot of injection makers who are often all over the place, especially in 1/48th...

Gaston

chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - 03:34 PM UTC
Thanks, Gaston!

It's been a really hard week- but modeling has helped me keep my sanity in the face of losing our dear dog unexpectedly. Thanks to those who have offered their support it means so much to my wife and I!

Blueheeler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 347 posts
AeroScale: 223 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - 07:48 PM UTC
Hey Chuck, sorry to hear about Dynamite.
Don't know how I did it, but I missed a few instalments, however, it was great reading and catching up on things. Some great new techniques learnt as well Chuck, thanks.

Nick.
WingTzun
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 853 posts
AeroScale: 137 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - 10:31 PM UTC
Sorry to hear about your loss
Hang in there!

magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 - 07:33 AM UTC
I wish I had both your skills and patience Chuck!

Sorry about Dynamite. He looks as if he was a dog with a big D!

Magnus
GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2011 - 06:25 AM UTC

Sorry to hear about your loss Chuck!

I have just lost one of my two cats yesterday and it's terrible (British Tabby, kidney failure at age 13-15) . The world seems a completely different place because the home seems to be missing something essential... There was something deep, serious and profound about her huge eyes, and her presence covers a very important part of my life. You just get the feeling somehow things will never be the same...

Strangely enough, having a remaining cat is not helping because he is so different: A rough-looking, lean one-eyed stray with enormous claws, but surprisingly sweet. We had to keep them apart.

Good work on the Ju-388: I can't wait to see it finished and to get to my own Planet Model FW-190C. I don't usually like resin kits, but these really give the breed a good name....

Gaston

chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, July 29, 2011 - 03:07 PM UTC
Thanks all- losing Dyna was very hard, but we're moving past it. Maybe a new puppy soon!

Gaston- I'm so sorry to hear that! I hope a few days has helped you heal and find a "new normal". It sounds like your stray kitty will keep your hands -and heart full!

I'm still sick at home, so I'm putting the time to good use and you;re all getting yet another update- here we go!

GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2011 - 06:28 PM UTC

Thanks for your kind words Chuck!

Good God: What a complicated project this thing is! I think yours will be the only one built with that hatch open! Just the thickness of drilling it out was something else...

I wonder how flimsy and wobbly is that main canopy, as that can be nerve-wracking... Perhaps a bit of internal framing to stiffen it is in the cards?

Keep up the good work! Very nice to see quicker updates!

Gaston
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2011 - 03:00 PM UTC
Thanks, Gaston! I have no worries about the canopy- it's very crisp and robust for a vac. Cheers!

Despite the new puppy's best efforts, I have gotten back to this poor, neglected birdie- and am moving forward!

werx07
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 26 posts
AeroScale: 24 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2011 - 04:39 PM UTC
Nice job, I always look forward to updates of this great build and presentation.
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 624 posts
AeroScale: 609 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2011 - 07:41 PM UTC
Hi, Chuck! It is great to see you back... It is always informative and inspiring. I don't have to say that your presentation is superb... I can imagine difficulties in handling this resin beast. I am with you... (and keep the faith!)
SHarjacek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 977 posts
AeroScale: 263 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2011 - 08:07 PM UTC
I must admit your one of my favorite builders! This build so far is very nice and little different.I must say you make your builds very interesting and fun both with your building and with the text and characters!

Keep up the good work,Sven.
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2011 - 09:12 PM UTC
Nice update Chuck and glad to see that Andromeda hasn't taken you full attention away from the hobby
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2011 - 03:51 AM UTC

Daddy daddy daddy daddy!

It's more like me tearing myself away from this cute little ball of wrinkles! Fear not- Andi is a good girl and wants me to get in some bench time on the weekends. My Well Provision build is coming along nicely- that up for this weekend. Once it's done it'll be all 388 all the time.

Thanks for all the kind words, friends- and cheers!
chuk
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2011 - 11:54 AM UTC
Enjoying the build updates I think I would have given up long ago with a project like this

Awwww Andromeda is so adorable (not sure our dog liked the awwwwing there from me )
GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2011 - 03:31 PM UTC

Hello Chuck! What a cute little dog! I hope he helps you go on.

I have to say I found the fit of the tailplanes on your model a bit of a bummer... They really made you work hard... I see that jig was not overkill after all: It's practically a pre-requisite...

I had a very similar problem in adapting the thinner-looking 1/48 Tamiya tailplanes to a Hasegawa tail: I lined them up, then found the hinge lines were "swept" in plan view: Plasticard inserts were the only way to go...

Planet Model's FW-190C does not need so much work there, but correcting the canopy with a Hasegawa one (the only accurate FW-190 canopy) does require a spacer to make the upper fuselage nose wider, despite the much narrower windshield (?!)...

I hope you get an easier ride than that from now on... Still can't believe you cut open that yard thick hatch!

Gaston