_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Kawasaki Ki-45 Toryu
daselim
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 212 posts
AeroScale: 49 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 02:38 AM UTC
Awesome build, Jean-Luc! I learned a lot from reading through this thread. Thank you for posting it.

Even though Japanese A/C are not high on my interest list, multi-engine WWII craft are, so it looks like I will be getting a new kit. I will have to sneak it into the house, though as SWMBO wants me to cut down on the stash, either by building or selling, before any new stash-mates join the party. Good thing she doesn't know what I already have

Cheers!
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 08:10 AM UTC
Hi all!

Thank you all for your kind comments about the Ki-45, but there is still a lot to do on this project. I didn't found much time to work this week-end (my son, little Vincent is not very well, poor little boy) but I nevertheless glued some plastic bits together...

These are the figures and accessories that can be found in the two Fine Molds Ki-10 "Perry" kits. Each boxing has a different sprue and when adding both together, the result is a complete Japanese WW2 set. I will use them to add some life around the aircraft. I hope Fine Molds will release them as a stand alone boxing one day.

Jean-Luc
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2008 - 07:54 AM UTC
Hi all!

I will also add this figure from an Eduard box. The most interesting in it is of course the bicycle...

Jean-Luc
falcon04
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 25 posts
AeroScale: 24 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 08:25 PM UTC
Jean-Luc - better late than never for my reply.

I love your build, selection of colors, etc. etc. - just really nice and helpful.

One question: What is your technique for cutting the tail stencil - looks like Tamiya tape but I'm curious precisely how you do it to prevent the tape from tearing.

TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 03:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

One question: What is your technique for cutting the tail stencil - looks like Tamiya tape but I'm curious precisely how you do it to prevent the tape from tearing.

Hi falcon04!

In fact I did split the mask in two parts to make it easier to position on the model. It is Tamiya tape indeed. I've cut the tape with a sharp x-acto knife on a piece of plexiglass.

By the way, the diorama will be featured in a forthcoming issue of "Replic", a french aircraft modelling magazine. I'll post a couple of pics here when it will be finished...

Jean-Luc
falcon04
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 07:54 PM UTC
Jean-Luc - Thank you !

I am a big fan of REPLIC - buy it every month. It is one of the very best. Despite my rather poor high school - level French, I always enjoy the outstanding builds as well as the Photo-scopes - hope they combine your build with one.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2008 - 02:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I always enjoy the outstanding builds as well as the Photo-scopes - hope they combine your build with one.

Hi falcon04!

The editor said to me that he plans to add a photoscope and also profiles. I wonder if he will find something for the walkaround though... but I'm looking forward to it!

Jean-Luc
dimitrios
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 29 posts
AeroScale: 17 posts
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2008 - 06:29 PM UTC
You are great Jean Luc for two reasons. The 1st reason its your perfect models.
And the second reason is the way who present them.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 07:45 PM UTC
Hi Dimitrios!

Thanks a lot for your kind words. Can I spend some holidays in Greece as well...

Jean-Luc
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 03:44 PM UTC
Hi all!

Just a picture to show you the current status of the diorama...

The base is done but I have to paint it, apply some grass and weather it. The concrete was made with Mark58 products. The figures and accessories received their basic colors and I "only" need to paint the details. The problem is that I don't like to do this!
I'm still waiting to receive Tamiya's new Kurogane kit to include it into the scene. The kit is on backorder on most japanese websites. It must have sold like hot cakes...

Jean-Luc
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 07:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I plan to do a diorama with a concrete ground later...

Hi all!

Here are some pictures of the finished diorama...

An article about the Ki-45 build should appear in a forthcoming issue of the french mag Replic in a couple of months.

I would like to thank all the people who helped me during the build, especially you falcon04...

Jean-Luc
drizzt73
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 158 posts
AeroScale: 70 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 08:14 PM UTC
Awesome diorama there Jean-Luc.
youngc
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 2,166 posts
AeroScale: 105 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 02:25 AM UTC
Jean-Luc,

Simply awesome! What a great looking paint scheme and the diorama is great. You have done a great job on those figures which looked challenging!

Regards,
Charlie
falcon04
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 10:48 AM UTC
Thanks, Jean-Luc - my minor contributions are much exceeded by your great build. Love the ground equipment and figures and look forward to the "Replic" article.

MIne sits awaiting completion of an "old" Ki-61 - discipline !!

One question on another build of yours - could you give more detail on the acetate ( ? ) "squiggle" masks you created for your Fi-156 ? Which Dremel bit and how thick the acetate ? ( I WILL steal that one ! )

Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2008 - 04:22 AM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

Superb! The low angles against the mountain backdrop are stunning! Are they shot in daylight? - the sharp uni-directional shadows make it look very realistic.

All the best

Rowan
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2008 - 06:33 AM UTC
Yes, a stunning build and a stunning diorama. As Rowan says the shadows do make it look very realistic. Very well done Jean-Luc

Mal
mpatman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 248 posts
AeroScale: 160 posts
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2008 - 07:01 PM UTC
Jean-Luc this is a fantastic diorama. Thank you very much for you great efforts with this build and explaining your techinques.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 02:50 AM UTC
Hi all!

Thanks a lot for your kind comments...

Rowan, here is a picture which shows how I shoot the photos. They are ok but I still have to improve my photography a lot!

The big lamp is fitted with a 500 watt halogen bulb and the other lights are softer to tone down the overall contrast without erasing the shadow.
I'm still experimenting with my "photo studio" though. I'm not 100% happy with the result.

Jean-Luc
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 10:03 PM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

Sorry - I missed your reply. I think your photo set-up works brilliantly - well, obviously, as I mistook it for daylight! The way you've balanced the lights to maintain realistic shadows is perfect. I wish I could match a rig like yours, but I simply haven't got that much free space anywhere at home. I'll just have to stick to the small stuff - if I ever finish anything to put in front of a camera!

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP