Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2013 - 01:13 AM UTC
Ben, your latest pictures with the masks removed, the upper surfaces look great. The blue just doesn't come through very strong through the darker gray, and thus works perfectly. It's the underside as I alluded to that still has an unnatural look to it. I think that a few more light coats of gray would have really helped to soften up the blue and help to fade it.
Going with black or dark filters/washes will help but I don't think that it will get you where you really want to be. with a few coats of grey till you get where you want to be would be your best option.
Joel
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 719 posts
AeroScale: 691 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2013 - 09:07 AM UTC
Hi Joel, I've done a bit of post-shading with some masking of edges of panels, that breaks up the pre-shading a bit: I might go over the whole lot with some more Medium Sea Grey, not sure at the moment.

I had Miracle Masks cut a mask for the aircraft code letter, but I designed it before I received a profile based on a photograph of the aircraft with a different style of 'M' (I've not seen the photo, but I trust that such details are correct in the profile). So out with the masking tape and a sharp blade, cutting onto a glass surface, using a laser printed template.

I'll do a few tiny touch-ups with a brush, but otherwise its ready for a gloss coat. I'll then be printing the serial, maybe some stencils, and other stencils I will be taking from the Barracudacals 1/48 set for the mosquito (I did this with a 1/72 Tamiya stencil set when making a 1/72 Typhoon, so I known most of them can be used, e.g. the 'W/T' which appear frequently, and a yellow '24 Volts').
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2013 - 06:27 PM UTC
Tiffie is looking great Ben

You should have contacted me about the "M" I would have done you the correct style, at no charge I know, easy for me to say that now But true
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2013 - 06:41 PM UTC
Thanks Mal, I did consider contacting you about the 'M', but thought it shouldn't be too hard to cut myself.

In the end it was quicker to cut them than accurate position them- without a carrier film, the middle triangle bits but stuck and risk tearing, or curl up and you can't tell where they are going to end up. I was happy with the result until seeing them at high magnification in the photos and there were many more rough spots than with your plotter-cut plastic masks.

The plan is to now get the landing gear and other little bits like the cuckoo-door air filter done before moving onto gloss coat.
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2013 - 07:52 PM UTC
I like it a lot Ben! The 1/48 Typhoons are seldom seen nowadays, good work on your's!

Magnus
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2013 - 09:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Mal, I did consider contacting you about the 'M', but thought it shouldn't be too hard to cut myself.

Well you did make a good job of it, I just really want potential customers to know that I would do this (even if they cocked up)

Yes it does highlight the advantage of using vinyl and transfer tape but, like I said, you did a good job, well done
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 08:19 PM UTC
Hi Magnus, and thanks.

Not really any more progress, but I removed some masking, so thought it was a good excuse to take some more photos.

robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 10:46 PM UTC
Again no real progress, but I have been planning the base:

robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2013 - 04:04 AM UTC
A little progress- yellow leading edges and black walkways painted. I masked them with tape, then added some liquid mask (maskol) 'chips', sprayed a light coat of the colour, then added more maskol, and then painted the final coat. I will add some chips through to the metal later.

I've also done the yellow tips of the prop blades. I have seen some photos where the yellow has almost completely worn off, and this is what I am aiming for (will need more work).
GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 595 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2013 - 08:37 AM UTC
Quote: "I've looked at a lot of Typhoon photographs, and the Hasegawa kit really captures the shape very, very well."

--Right you are, and I think it the top 1/48th scale WWII aircraft kit just on that particular aspect alone: I like the car door canopy version better, but they are both outstanding kits.

A much underrated kit. The much-complained about center gap with the fuselage inserts I got rid of by shaving down the rest of the fuselage join... It does require work however, as the inserts benefit from careful plier bending work to match the fuselage cross-section radius for a better fit (wrapping the plier's jaws in soft material)...

Incredible work on a little known variant: Great flair for the subject choice!

Gaston

AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2013 - 09:03 AM UTC
Super work Ben, the chipping on the leading edges and wearing on the walkways looks spot on mate.

Cheers, D
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2013 - 08:46 AM UTC
Thanks for the encouragement Gaston and Damian!

Here is one of the stories from this plane's history:

Quoted Text

Photo reconnaissance offered a unique challenge. That of bringing back the first real evidence of success or failure and simultaneously, not to say unavoidably, providing a measure by which the quality of your own sortie might be judged. Not surprisingly it exerted a powerful attraction.
Thoughts to encourage the loner in photo 'M', sitting high above Rotterdam, looking down on the perfection of a late autumn day. The outlines of the city shimmering softly through the haze. Black shell bursts stained the sky. The squadrons moved into echelon and plummeted earthwards. Light flak veiled the target merging into a carpet of destruction - and the diving aircraft became vague shadows darting through layers of murk and smoke.
Brief words of command, leaders reforming their squadrons, and then silence on the radio. The storm of flak died away. A pall of dust hung over the target area. My time had come.
The 88s opened up immediately, a muffled thud shook the aircraft, and oil began to smear the screen. It spread rapidly, still thin, but enough to obscure the view. The cockpit filled with fumes and the curtain of oil grew darker. On instruments now. Fear caught at me and I strove to fight it
down..... Hold the dive!..... Hold it!..... You must hold it!..... Level out and switch the cameras on!.....
By now I was down to 2,500 feet - rocketing blind across the centre of Rotterdam - at least the flak was invisible!
The return trip was agonizing. Trying to spare the engine resulted in a suicidally slow passage across the docks and I expected a direct hit at any moment. Winding the canopy open was no help at all. An alarming close up of the Dordrecht bridges, heavily guarded by flak guns, frightened me out of my skin and I was deluged with hot oil. After what seemed an age I reached friendly territory and called 'Longbow'6 to alert the nearest airfield, Gilze-Rijen, to my predicament.
Oil continued to flood over the windscreen obscuring my goggles and, when I raised them, stinging my eyes. Time to start the approach, staying high in case the engine failed, and slightly offset to provide a view of sorts until the last possible moment. The temperatures were almost off the clock and the oil pressure falling rapidly..... Undercarriage..... Flaps..... Into the final turn.....
It was a surprisingly good landing which came to a shuddering halt alongside a group of airmen and a Coles crane. Difficult to know who was the more taken aback. But reaction was beginning to set in and I shouted across to them, "You can take it away!" The effect was rather spoilt when I slipped on the oily wing root, and ended up in a heap on the runway, fortunately without further damage.
Photo 'M' had been hit in the spinner, which was like a colander, and the constant speed mechanism had been badly damaged. The fuselage looked as if it had been painted glossy black. It was a miracle that the engine had kept going.

Brotherhood of the Skies is available on Amazon. (I have no commercial interest!)

Here is a teaser for the paint chipping (this is quite a magnification, and the oil washes will blend the chips in and tie it together):

A pale imitation of Jean-Luc's chipping technique.
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, August 02, 2013 - 01:00 AM UTC
OK, I am very bored of chipping this plane's paint now. Might look a bit over-the-top at this magnification, but in real life I think it is not too outrageous. After the washes the colour variations should tone down a bit.

robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2013 - 09:13 AM UTC
OK, so looking at photos I see the Aviaeology decals placement PDF that I have been using as a reference for the stencils has too many w/t boxes. I'm now basing my placement/transfer improvisation on the Airfix 1/72 instructions.

I spent the day laying down lots of Klear to give the decals a glossy surface. Then this evening put the few little transfers on. I printed the serials and a decal (not yet used) for the cuckoo-doors of the intake filter on a black and white laser printer at home.

The above were taken from cut-up bits of BarracudaCals Mosquito sheet. (Looks at bit messy at this magnification, doesn't it...)

Serial home-printed, rudder numbers are non-sense, but hopefully no-one will notice.

Fuel filler label.

Improvised light tent. I had just packed it up and started downloading the photos when I realised I hadn't taken a shot of the other side of the fuselage, so here is a nasty shot with the on-board flash:

BaracudaCals again.

Bit of Klear to cover those up first thing tomorrow morning, then oils washes on by lunch, I hope!
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2013 - 01:24 AM UTC

Oils on. Giving them a couple of hours to dry a little.
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2013 - 07:38 AM UTC
Oils done:

SHarjacek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 977 posts
AeroScale: 263 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2013 - 07:45 AM UTC
Wonderful weathering, how did you remove the remaining oil?

Kind regards, Sven.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2013 - 08:19 AM UTC
I was worried that you had overdone the chipping, but the oil filters overtop have toned it down really nicely.
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2013 - 04:21 PM UTC
Thanks Jessie- the chips looked worse in photos that they did in real life, but after the washes they are really subtle now. The few pale grey chips, simulating ones right through to the metal, can be seen from a distance. This, and the fact that quite a few panel lines are subtle enough not to be seen from more than 1 m away, is what I was aiming for, as it is what I have seen in photos.

Sven: I just used a piece of an old T-shirt to wipe off the oil, sometimes using it slightly damp, not wet, with thinners (sansodor) to give a streakier finish.
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2013 - 07:28 PM UTC
Ben, you're doing one of the best 72 scale paint jobs I've ever seen. This is amost unbelievable what you're already achieved.
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2013 - 09:18 PM UTC
Sorry to disappoint you Michal, but this is 1/48 (my first deviation form the one true scale). Thanks for the compliment though!
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 - 08:20 PM UTC
For some reason I was sure you are building the latest Airfix kit. I'm not very excited by this release so I didn't take much attention while looking at the plastic parts. But when you started painting your model you really got my full attention. It doesn't matter it's 48, paint job of his Tiffie is still outstanding.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 - 10:53 PM UTC
Superb work Ben, love it!
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 - 01:23 PM UTC
Thanks Damian, hopefully I have a surprise update this evening!

This is it! D-Day, H-Hour -5.
Still to go: lights and their transparent covers, paint and install 3x antennae, foot styrup, pitot tube, painting and washing a few pneumatic rams of the undercarriage, painting supports and details of cuckoo-door intake filter. Painting chocks, drilling pegs for locating the wheels on the base.
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, August 07, 2013 - 09:11 AM UTC
19 hours later, I am home!

Model was completed on time, and delivered according to schedule! I will update with photos and an explanation when my photo library has finished backing up!