Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: P-40, Work Horse of WWII Campaign
doubtingthomas
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 156 posts
AeroScale: 153 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2011 - 10:44 AM UTC
*Great job, Rob, on "Hyde's Harlot!"
*Good work, Stefan - looks very nice - I like that scheme.
*Eetu - as usual, you are putting on a clinic

As with every campaign, I'm late to the party, but did finally start my Trumpy 1:32 P-40B. Like Warren(i)'s build, I just raced through the engine bits as most will not be seen. In fact, I did not use all the parts and I didn't paint it well (or even correctly) - as nothing will be seen save the bottom rear through the cooling flaps. This one will be strictly "curbside" with a closed canopy on account of the too-shallow cockpit which I will not correct.

Other than the cockpit, this is a decent model (under-rated, perhaps, if you are OK with "curbside"), and a lot of bits are well on their way to final assembly.

P.S. - Damian - please forgive me for working on this rather than the Tu-22 Backfire I "owe" you for "Anti-Shipping"....the paint on the Backfire...well....backfired, and I had to strip and repaint.

Regards,
Tom
ppawlak1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,973 posts
AeroScale: 59 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2011 - 04:09 PM UTC
Hey guys !

I've finally started on my P-40M

The cockpit interior is done, and I've done the basic Fuselage and Wing assembly.

I'll fill some gaps and scribe some lines that have been sanded back next.

Here's where I'm at :

Cheers

Paul
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2011 - 12:38 AM UTC
Hi folks. It's great to see the progress being made here on the mighty P-40 !

Rob, nice finish on the "Harlot" mate, very well done.

Jesper, I've always loved that giant skull nose-art, excellent choice and coming along really well !

Tom, crack on with the P-40 my friend, that Backfire can wait, no problems. Your cockpit is looking really good there as well.

Paul, that Italeri kit goes together well doesn't it ? I threw that one together in a mad rush for the Ashes Speed Build at Christmas time and was very impressed with it. Very nice work so far there sir.

I have been puttying and sanding those annoying rear fuselage vertical joins on the 1/32 Hasegawa kit to get rid of seamlines, not far off paint now. At the same time I have painted the wheel assemblies, so once the paint is on things should go very quickly. I'm planning on a clean finish on this one, minimal weathering.

Cheers, D
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 674 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2011 - 02:19 AM UTC
Hi All,

Thanks for the comments on the 'Harlot'.

Tom,
I was toying with doing the 48 scale kit of the P40b in a desert scheme, in Caldwell's markings, maybe down the track I'll have a go at it.

Jesper, The skull artwork stands out really on any P40 kit.

This is the Eduard decals on the Hasegawa kit.
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2011 - 03:29 AM UTC
Thanks Tom, glad you like it.

Oh, I've been such sloth lately... But I've finally got some more progress to show. I was thinking I was almost ready for priming but it turned out there was still a few things to do before masking the cockpit opening and starting to shake up that primer can.

First was the gunsight. The moulded-in reflector glass was thick and had a seam running down the middle so it had to go. Due to the nature of injection moulding, there was no lens detail under the gunsight glass, so I glued in a small ring made from wire to represent this.

The gunsight glass was made from left-over acetate sheet from some PE set.

^ Now that's the style of sprue channel placement I like! The part can be painted and handled while still connected to the sprue and it's placed so it doesn't need any touch-up when clipped off.

Out of the box, the fit of the pitot tube was loose and sloppy due to the too large mounting hole. I plugged the hole with a piece of styrene rod and drilled in a new hole so the pitot fit snuggly.

Peculiarly, the antenna mast was also a bit loose fit to its mounting hole in the fuselage. That was easily solved with a shim of thin styrene sheet. The wire mounting loop was moulded solid so I sliced it off and replaced it with a bit of brass wire bent to shape.

Okay, now I think I can safely say I'm pretty ready for priming. I've still got to take a look at the prop retaining grommet, though. I made the mistake of installing it without checking that it worked like it should. It turned that the space where it's trapped is slightly too long, letting the grommet to move back and forth just enough to render it useless. I hope I can insert some narrow styrene strip between the grommet and the front edge of the its cavity to get it sit snuggly. If not, I guess I'll just have to use blu-tac to make the prop sit properly.

Oh, and more thing, I've got to add brake lines to the main landing gear. That's it with the tinkering then, I'll promise!

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2011 - 06:55 AM UTC
My entry is now finished for this campaign. It is Hasegawa's 1/72 P-40N build as 80th Fighter Group, 89th fighter squadron.

Many great entries already. Looking forward to see more great entries in this campaign.

It was fun to participate in this campaign.

Whitey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 137 posts
AeroScale: 28 posts
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2011 - 10:13 AM UTC
Camo and future...

Whitey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2011 - 10:11 AM UTC
Decals. We're getting there.

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2011 - 12:21 PM UTC
Nice progress, Axel. The shark mouth looks great.

Looking forward to see more
ppawlak1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2011 - 08:12 PM UTC
I've made some progress.

Priming and preshading done.

Base coat on.

I now need to fit the masked canopy and paint the frames.

Pics in the next couple of days

Cheers

Paul
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2011 - 10:10 PM UTC
Last update before painting commences.

Brake lines added to the landing gear.

And the primer is on!

AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, August 18, 2011 - 12:03 AM UTC
Hi all, your stand-in leader here !

Jesper, well done on your finished build, I love the skull nose-art !

Whitey, great progress mate, you're getting close now !

Eetu, beautiful work on the detailing there, I'm really looking forward to how your build turns out.

I haven't had any time to work on my build for a couple of weeks now, and I doubt whether I will get it done in the next couple of weeks, but I'm reluctant to ask for an extension just for myself. Are there any others in progress that could use and extra month on this one ?

Keep up the great work guys, chat soon, D
mykroft
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 270 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2011 - 10:55 AM UTC
Well, the summer's ending and I'm back to building.

I discovered to my dismay that the scheme Academy gave for the 112 squadron P-40M is incorrect. It should be either OD/NG or the standard desert scheme, not the TLS scheme. Given that we're nearing the end of the build and I'm just now starting to lay paint, I went with the OD/NG scheme. The decals are thankfully correct for either of the correct schemes, as these Kittyhawk mkIII's were delivered in OD/NG and later repainted into the standard desert scheme with the same markings reapplied.

So I've got the NG down:

Academy P-40M Kittyhawk MkIII 1/72 by mawz_models, on Flickr

Next step is to spray the OD.
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2011 - 02:45 AM UTC
Preshading done, canopy being glued in place.

ppawlak1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, August 22, 2011 - 08:04 PM UTC
Hey Guys !

I'm almost there, the base coat and decals are done (the preshading came unstuck with an unforseen problem with the clearcoat, but I've managed to save this build to a certain extent, the next "wingy thing" will be better ).

My next step is to do some more detail painting, followed by a light wash.

I'll do so some silver chipping at the end, and add a little dust to the landing gear etc before calling this one done.

Here's where I'm at :

Almost there

Cheers

Paul
Whitey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 - 12:00 AM UTC
Finished.

vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 - 10:56 AM UTC
In a frantic effort to earn the very ribbon i designed (heh - I even made the banner for the campaign!), I have been covertly building a 1/48 Hasegawa P-40E at work during my down time:

Now to take her home tonight and prime it. The weather here has been horrendous for painting (103-107 for months - no exaggeration, today we tied our record # of 69 days in a row for days over 100 in a year in Austin), and my airbrush station is in the garage. But if I wake up very early the next couple days, I can hopefully get her painted in the relative 80 degree cool of the 5am morning.

eMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 1,182 posts
AeroScale: 351 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 - 09:12 PM UTC
Progress of my built, Eduard 1/48P-40N.

doubtingthomas
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 156 posts
AeroScale: 153 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 05:55 PM UTC
A lot of nice P-40's here! Keep it up!

Quoted Text

I'm reluctant to ask for an extension just for myself. Are there any others in progress that could use and extra month on this one ?

D

Hey Damien - Of COURSE I could use a bit of extra time. Here's where I stand with my Trumpy 1:32 P-40B:

She'll go to the paint shop this week, so I will be cutting it close on the deadline.

And yes, D, that IS the Tu-22 Backfire for "Anti-Shipping" in the Background, with the paint repair complete, so now I can finish that one, too!

Regards,
Tom
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2011 - 04:21 AM UTC
Basic camo applied. Might actually make the deadline (mine is this saturday, as i am leaving town for a week on sunday).

Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2011 - 06:36 AM UTC
I'm working on camo as well on my entry. Got the yellow areas and lower surfaces done at the moment. Such a struggle trying to airbrush Lifecolor acrylics thinned with water... Paid a visit to the LHS today and got myself a quarter litre bottle of the brand thinner. Hope it goes smoother with it.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2011 - 11:28 AM UTC
Hi all. I have asked for an extra month on this Campaign so Tomcat will let us know in due course.

Vance, very nice clean camo work.

Eetu, looking forward to pics of your progress, hopefully the thinner will get things going for you.

eMan, great work on the office, conign together really well.

Tom, great progress (on both builds), it's great to see a busy workspace !

Cheers, D
mykroft
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 270 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2011 - 02:55 PM UTC
I'm calling this one done

The Academy kit is quite a nice little kit, but the decals were awful. I had a heck of a time getting them to bed down, they were out of register and the sharkmouth didn't fit properly. This was a bit of a surprise as I've built two other Academy kits recently (a F/A-18A and the Tempest V) and the decals were excellent.
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2011 - 03:38 PM UTC
What a fine looking P-40 in 72 scale. I understand Academy decals all too well! They have recently improved them, I've built the Messerschmitt 262 kit released a couple of years ago and the P-38J European Theater model, both had good decals. If you are unlucky enough to buy an older Academy kit it is a toss up as to whether the decals will perform or not. You made a nice recovery on your P-40. Thanks for sharing. Russell
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2011 - 01:16 AM UTC
Well done Adam, congrats on a fine little P-40 build. As Russell said, it's hard to see that you had any trouble with the decals.

We have an extension of 1 month on this Campaign now, so all of us stragglers (especially myself) have a chance to get finished and add to the already fine gallery.

Cheers, D