AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 09:32 AM UTC

Hi there

To see the In-box Review, click HERE.

A blog, huh? Usually the kiss of death for me, as far as finishing any build! But, what the heck, it's a new year and I'm still spurred on by my resolutions, so here we go!

I've had a tinker!

Yep! Total chaos! I couldn't resist dipping into various sub-assemblies totally out of sequence compared with the kit's instructions! Hopefully, I'll get a bit more organised in the days ahead.

'Till then, here are a couple of "second impressions" - you know, the kind of things you notice once you begin to get to grips with a kit.

First off - and inevitably - the cowling problem I mentioned in the review. You can see clearer in this pic how the part wasn't fully moulded. I'm sure it's an isolated problem, but I've still alerted Eduard to watch out for it:

And the DB601 - there are no bolts on the top, which seem quite prominent in all my reference photos. Maybe Eduard have them planned in their upgrade set, but I'll add them from snippets of stretched sprue:

Much more to come - all the best

Rowan
Tarok
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 10:59 AM UTC
Oooooh, Rowan is actually building something!! Let's hope you finish it

Just pulling your socks (as my late GF used to say)

I'm really looking forward to following your build, Rowan. The 109 is amongst my fav aircraft

Rudi
Rattler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 512 posts
AeroScale: 104 posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2009 - 01:20 AM UTC
Rowan,

I look forward to watching this thread.. Myself and a clubmate ordered this kit.. now just waiting on it to arrive.
hkopper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 529 posts
AeroScale: 340 posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2009 - 02:03 AM UTC
I'll be watching this build closely. I'm considering to start building my first aircraft in many years ( the 109 has always been one of my favorites). What is the skill level needed for this build? I have experience with 1:35 dragon armor kits with extensive use of P-E parts (which still tend to frustrate me quite a bit).
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2009 - 02:18 AM UTC
Hi Hermann

Obviously, I've only just started the kit, but I can't foresee any obvious potential pitalls. If you've experience working with etched parts on your armour models there shouldn't be anything you can't handle in Eduard's Emil - the etched parts here are probably simpler than some of what you've tackled.

All the best

Rowan
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2009 - 03:01 AM UTC
Looking forward to this build Rowan .

Rudi , we should start a pool on whether Rowan will finish or not ..................He just might surprise as all in the end !

Just kidding Rowan .we know you will finish this and dazzle us with a very fine build !
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 831 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2009 - 03:42 AM UTC
This is interesting from the starting line, so I'm going to peek my nose in here a lot, Rowan. (Did I say I like 109's?) And don't listen to those weak of heart and faith. Of course you will turn out a beauty. Can I hope for Trautlofts, perhaps?

I must say though, that I'm a little surprised by the crank case cover. I mean, the kit is pricy as it is, so a few nuts wouldn't have hurt.

Tony
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2009 - 03:51 AM UTC
Hi Tony

Yes, the crankcase cover is surprising, because the position of the nuts and bolts is actually marked with finely embossed dots. Who knows whether someone along the way forgot to add the finished items, or whether Eduard have something up their sleeve for the detail set? At least the dots will make it slightly easier to add them from plastic...

At the moment I'm planning on "Red 13", with the unusual wrap-around on the wing leading edges - plus of course the kinky witch in suspenders artwork!

All the best

Rowan
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 831 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2009 - 04:00 AM UTC
That's possible Rowan. As an engineer I know that the quality system don't allways f**k up in manufacture and production. We in the design department use to have our moments of meltdown too. I won't even start to tell....

But in this case I can almost feel which cad-command have gone missing!

Tony
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
AeroScale: 600 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 10:42 AM UTC
Rowan, I usually don't hang out on this forum , (Normally on the Early Aviation Forum),but this kit is one I have been waiting for for almost 30 years! I will be watching with great interest as I try to figure out how I can afford one for my very own. Good luck!
RAGIII
Tarok
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 11:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Rudi , we should start a pool on whether Rowan will finish or not ..................He just might surprise as all in the end !

I'm sure he'll finish it - just a question of when! LOL I reckon he might drag this one out as to use it as an excuse for not painting Bryn
chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 06:33 PM UTC
Rowan,
It looks to be a great start.
I know its early days,but any ideas on which paint/decal scheme you are going to use or are you going down the after market route?

Chris
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 07:31 PM UTC
Hi Chris

Quoted Text

At the moment I'm planning on "Red 13", with the unusual wrap-around on the wing leading edges - plus of course the kinky witch in suspenders artwork!

Jean-Luc
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 06:40 AM UTC
I was nearly tempted to get one of these last Sunday at the Huddersfield model show as I really want to try out my masks on this. I particularly like the box art scheme with the red dragon thing. I didn't get one because 1) I'm broke and 2) I've got no dosh. So I will be looking on with envy while you build this.

I won't bet my shorts on this one
Rattler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 512 posts
AeroScale: 104 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 12:35 PM UTC
Hey there Rowan,

I was wondering... if you noticed these items...

so far I've found that the wing MG's are not in the kit, but the wholes in the wings are...
wheel wells are pretty sparce to no detailing, no peto tube that I can find...* update* errr I found it... sorry LOL.... an ofcourse the insterment panel is bald.. but the PE doesn't give much depth in MHO also on the left cockpit wall. there should be 3 T handels, but there aren't any.. they give the brackets, but was just wonderin what you thoughts were on these things I found... ref books I'm using do show wing MG's peto tube an details to the W.W. also they say that is should be painted a black/silver mix... most of the photos I've got don't show that.. any thoughts on this??

Cheers

Chris
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 04:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey there Rowan,

I was wondering... if you noticed these items...

so far I've found that the wing MG's are not in the kit, but the wholes in the wings are...
wheel wells are pretty sparce to no detailing, no peto tube that I can find...* update* errr I found it... sorry LOL.... an ofcourse the insterment panel is bald.. but the PE doesn't give much depth in MHO also on the left cockpit wall. there should be 3 T handels, but there aren't any.. they give the brackets, but was just wonderin what you thoughts were on these things I found... ref books I'm using do show wing MG's peto tube an details to the W.W. also they say that is should be painted a black/silver mix... most of the photos I've got don't show that.. any thoughts on this??

Cheers

Chris

With regards to the wing guns, the kit represents an E-1. The smaller rifle calibre guns did not protrude from the wings like the MG FF fitted to the E-3/4/7. There should just be a hole like Eduard have done it.

Andrew
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 08:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...on the left cockpit wall. there should be 3 T handels, but there aren't any.. they give the brackets, but was just wonderin what you thoughts were on these things I found... ref books I'm using do show wing MG's peto tube an details to the W.W. also they say that is should be painted a black/silver mix... most of the photos I've got don't show that.. any thoughts on this??

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris

The ignition lever, starter coupling lever and engine cut-off are there on Part #F17, but they are very lightly represented and I'll definitely replace them. I rather think they'll be on the supplementary etched fret coming out next month, but I'd have liked to see them in the standard kit as it already includes etched levers for the main instrument panel.

I agree the etched panel has limited relief - the real etched answer would be something like Eduard's own superdetailed panels with individual bezels like this for the Bf 109K - but that would obviously bump up the price and, remember, they were criticized in some quarters for making the 1/48 scale Bf 110 cockpit too complicated for the average modeller, so they can't win with some people however they tackle such items. I wouldn't be surprised if they release one separately though...

I'm dubious of a number of the colour call-outs (the wheel wells are odd too, compared with my refs) and I'll be outlining how I tackle things as I go.

Sorry for the complete lack of progress - work has kept me off-line and away from my modelling desk for the last week, so I hope to get started properly this week/next, once I've got my breath back and caught up with the backlog. In the meantime, Eduard have kindly sent a replacement cowling, so I've run out of excuses for not finishing this one!

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 09:15 AM UTC
Hi Rowan

A friend of mine has made me aware of a strange feature of the Eduard kit, which I agreed is somehow off (without haveing measured it)

the fuselage has some kind of hump behind the pit. It bulges outward and upward there ... and looks wrong .. maybe you could have a closer look at that area (which is nothing that can be corrected .... but also more for the analytic modelers)

he also rained my joy with the Bf 110 ... which might be a bit long (3-4 mm) in front of the cockpit .. checked it against my Revell kit and it is indeed that much longer .. still no proof but just an observation ... still like that kit a LOT

not trying to be the next "Gaston" ... especially as I can live with a few mistakes

all the best

Steffen
As an illustration the beautifully built model from Eduards site:

Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 10:30 AM UTC
Hi Steffen

I won't be able to get up to Hendon to get hands-on with the real thing until sometime next month, but (for what it's worth) here's a scan of Eduard's fuselage laid roughly over what is (apparently) an original Messerschmitt drawing (as you know, I always warn against trusting scans via domestic equipment - there are just too many variables that we don't have control over):

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 06:25 PM UTC
Hi Rowan

many thanks! the small problem is visible in the scan and fits what I suspected .. the upper fuselage is pretty close to the original, but describes a bow, when it should be straight ... but I will check my photos/books maybe it is just a trick of my eye.

all the best

Steffen
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 07:52 PM UTC
Hi Steffen

What caught my eye early on is that there's less of a "corner" on the lower line of the fuselage cross-section behind the cockpit than I'm used to in other kits, but I'm waiting until I can examine the real thing before coming to any conclusion about which is more accurate.

All the best

Rowan
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 07:57 PM UTC
I dont have the kit but eyeballed my plans from Robert Micheluc's Messerschmitt Bf 109 book and they look close, there is a curve to the spine and the tail curves more like the kit than the plan you have used Merlin... but as you say plans do tend to vary, moreso which the manufacturers choose to use.

Just my tuppenceworth...not having but wanting this kit.......though I may wait for the E4 to show and decide which then.

Keith
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 08:06 PM UTC
Hi Keith

Yes - the fuselage top-line curves in every set of plans and photo I've checked too. Eduard's fuselage is slightly deeper (by the thickness of the plastic) behind the cockpit than Kagero's Bf 109G plans - but matches the old Messerschmitt drawing. John Vasco was highly critical of relying on Kagero for the Bf 110, so which to rely on?...

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 08:35 PM UTC
Hi again

i like the Kagero Monographs a lot but I would never use their plans for measuring, as I think they publish faar to many of the books as these could be deeply researched ... much like the Osprey AoA titles (especially on Luftwaffe which are all done by Illustrator John Weal)

Maybe try the SAMI drawings. I know the Maltese author has some bad press, but I think Lynn Ritgers stuff is really great and thus I suppose the plans are pretty near the original ... but in general I agree that published drawings as such and optical/electronical processing also can alter the outcome.

I have some photos of the Eduard fuselage from above and it has a strange bulge behind teh cockpit ... I will have to do some work before I can publish it .. thats why I asked you to check

I want to make sure that you do not misunderstand me ... I like eduard kits and this model is surely better than the 1960ies Matchbox and the old Hasegawa .. though not my scale. The special point mentioned just looks somehow strange to my eye.

all the best

Steffen
Tankleader
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 718 posts
AeroScale: 13 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 05:51 AM UTC
Hello All,
I'm currently building the kit and encountered a problem with the photo etch parts for the radiator (unable to post part numbers since I'm at work) but the photo etch is too tall and needed to be cut down to fit. I've also enountered lots of flash on my kit but it was easily cleaned up. I'm also planning on adding reinforcement tabs along the inside to make the join a little easier.

Tanks
Andy
 _GOTOTOP