Eduard's Bf 109E-1
DAK66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 286 posts
AeroScale: 45 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 06:07 AM UTC
[quote]Hello All,
I'm currently building the kit and encountered a problem with the photo etch parts for the radiator (unable to post part numbers since I'm at work) but the photo etch is too tall and needed to be cut down to fit. I've also enountered lots of flash on my kit but it was easily cleaned up. I'm also planning on adding reinforcement tabs along the inside to make the join a little easier.

Tanks
Andy[/quote
andreas
i have seen others post about the same problem your having and apparently there is a corrected set of PE in the kit between the cardboard sheets that holds the original PE go and check and see if it's there i hope that this helps .
Tankleader
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 718 posts
AeroScale: 13 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 06:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

andreas
i have seen others post about the same problem your having and apparently there is a corrected set of PE in the kit between the cardboard sheets that holds the original PE go and check and see if it's there i hope that this helps .

Doug,
Thanks for the tip, I acutally looked between the cardboad just to make sure I didn't miss anything but will check again.

Tanks
Andy
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 09:12 AM UTC
Hi Andreas

Thanks for the heads-up on the radiator cores - my kit doesn't have alternative parts, but it was an early boxing.

Sorry to everyone for the hiatus in my build! Too much work and a recent influx of samples (I know - I should be so lucky!) have kept me away from the workbench. Things are clearing, so I'm itching to get started properly on the Emil!

In the meantime, Eagle Editions have sent through a full set of their beautiful EagleCals 'E-1 decals:

I haven't had a chance to decide which to use yet but, once I've reviewed them, there'll be some spares up for grabs at some stage, if anyone's interested... All I'll ask is that you do promise to show your finished build(s) on Aeroscale and credit Eagle Editions appropriately for kindly providing the decals.

All the best

Rowan
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 11:48 AM UTC
Mine is on the way. This looks like an excellent kit. I hope Eduard continues in this scale. Maybe we will see some of there 1/48th scale kits enlarged.
Tankleader
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 12:18 PM UTC
Hello All,
I was wondering if someone has a suggestion for an alternate paint for IRON??

Tanks
Andy
Removed by original poster on 03/09/09 - 13:29:45 (GMT).
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 01:09 AM UTC
I would use a mid to dark grey with a touch of red/brown...maybe a smudge of graphite over it once its done. There again I'm not much of a metalic finish fan...especially for components, it always seems toylike when I use metallic. Seldom in engines etc do you see shiny steel. iron or ally so I use tinted shades of grey instead, *bareskin paneling etc excepted of course*.

Sits down and shuts up
Keith
Tankleader
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 01:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I would use a mid to dark grey with a touch of red/brown...maybe a smudge of graphite over it once its done. There again I'm not much of a metalic finish fan...especially for components, it always seems toylike when I use metallic. Seldom in engines etc do you see shiny steel. iron or ally so I use tinted shades of grey instead, *bareskin paneling etc excepted of course*.

Sits down and shuts up
Keith

Keith,
Thanks for the tip, I will give it a try this evening.

Tanks
Andy
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 04:37 PM UTC
Folks,
I'm an old modeler but a new member to the forums. I've been watching this build log on the Eduard Bf 109E with interest, and I went out and bought myself this great kit. Imagine my surprise to find the port wing flap, part D6, was missing from the sprue and nowhere in the inner bag or box! While contemplating ways to scratch build the part, or hunting up ways to contact the manufacturer, I went back to Raymond Bayliss' original review of the kit-- and noticed the same part was missing in the review photos! The short-shot cowling was mentioned, but nothing about part D-6. I have many Eduard kits which have all been 100% complete-- but it seems unusual to see the same part missing in the review as in my kit-- anyone else have this problem?
Russ
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 11:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I went back to Raymond Bayliss' original review of the kit-- and noticed the same part was missing in the review photos!

Hi Russ

Who's Raymond Bayliss? LOL! (And I thought it was only poor old Steffen whose name people continually get wrong! )

But welcome aboard on Aeroscale - it's great to have you with us - and well spotted - I failed to notice that the flap had come adrift when I took the sprue-shots. In fact, both are in my kit my kit OK:

All the best

Rowan
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 02:02 AM UTC
Hi again

Eduard have kindly sent through a sample of the new etched set designed for this kit (and the later releases in the series), so I'll add items from it along the way in my build.

Despite the sorry lack of pics so far, I have actually done a bit of work on the Emil when work has permitted, but the delay in making any serious progress does actually mean that I'll be able to highlight more of the new etched parts than might otherwise have been the case. As they always say, every cloud has a silver lining...

All the best

Rowan
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 03:02 AM UTC
Speaking of "flaps"! Sorry about that Rowan, It was late here in the states on a Saturday night when I wrote the note about the flap! Too much celebrating about the kit I guess! Anyway, I found it very interesting your sprue photos showed the exact same part missing as in my kit -- what a coincidence. I'm watching your build with much interest, this is a great kit and now that Eduard has entered the 1/32 world, I can't wait to see their future offerings.
Russ
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 03:14 AM UTC
Hi again Russ

I think that flap must have been loose in my kit (I don't remember knocking anything off the sprues in my own eagerness to photograph them!) - so maybe there is something about where it sits on the sprue that means it's prone to taking a knock during the packing process...?

Did you buy the kit in a LHS? If so, the retailer should be able to sort you out with the missing part. Otherwise, Eduard have always been good about providing spares promptly in my experience, so drop them a line.

All the best

Rowan
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 05:32 AM UTC
Hi there

Of course, Sodd's Law dictated that if I took the plunge and decided to do something about the crankcase nuts and bolts, a replacement would become available! So, with 60+ holes drilled, and a load of sprue stretched and ready to install, Eduard have released an etched part with more prominent bolts than on the styrene original.

I think the bolts should be more prominent still, but I'll definitely add the etched version so I can start to make some progress at last...

All the best

Rowan
Tankleader
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 06:05 AM UTC
Hello All,
I'm about to paint the engine and harness, but need to know what the color of the harness and cable guards are that are molded to the engines.

Tanks
Andy
Tankleader
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2009 - 11:00 AM UTC
Hello All,
I've just joined the fuselage and I was quite shocked by the gaps. I had to use some evergreen shims at the radiator. I also added some evergreen shims to the wing join areas on the bottom of the fuselage. I will post a couple of pictures when I get everything sanded.

Tanks
Andy
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2009 - 10:08 AM UTC
Hi Andreas

I'm a bit mistified by that, because I'm getting a nice tight fit! The rear underwing/fuselage join might need a smear of Mister Surfacer, but I'm hoping to get away without filler at the wing roots and elsewhere.

In posting, I'm admitting (shock, horror! that I haven't forgotten all about this kit! Despite the distractions of the constant in-flow of new releases, I'm still tinkering away and actually made good progress this weekend.

The cockpit, engine bay and undercarriage are basically completed with a few additions from the etched add-on set. I'd already finished the wings before Eduard released the etched details, so I'll save some of those for the upcoming 'E-4.

I will post some pics soon, but my video work is heavy at the moment, so it's hard to squeeze in any modelling time.

All the best

Rowan
Tankleader
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 02:17 AM UTC
Rowan,
I've double checked everything before I put glue to plastic. On the rear fuselage a few of the panel lines don't match up as well. They are staggered ever so slightly. I looked at a friends kit and he has the exact same issues as I'm having.

Tanks
Andy
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2009 - 09:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Rowan,
I've double checked everything before I put glue to plastic. On the rear fuselage a few of the panel lines don't match up as well. They are staggered ever so slightly. I looked at a friends kit and he has the exact same issues as I'm having.

Tanks
Andy

Hi Andy

Sorry for the late repy - I'm only just back home. This is getting weirder and weirder - I didn't spot any fuselage panel line misalignment (my worry is still the lower fuselage contour, but the parts fit fine...) when I checked in a test fit for the review or during later work on the build. I'll get back to the kit this weekend and have another close look, but it's sounding like descriptions of two different kits!

I got a "short shot" cowling in the review kit, and Eduard sent me an entire sprue as a replacement, so I'll check that too.

All the best

Rowan
Grenadier37
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 232 posts
AeroScale: 155 posts
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2009 - 10:09 AM UTC
After reading this thread, I'm of the opinion this is a kit to avoid. Especially in light of the high cost of the ProfiPak kits.

Can anyone say Tamiya?
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2009 - 10:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

After reading this thread, I'm of the opinion this is a kit to avoid. Especially in light of the high cost of the ProfiPak kits.

Can anyone say Tamiya?

Sure, but the big T doesn't make them in 1:32..
The only other Emil 109s in this scale are the old Hasegawa and Matchbox kits.
Tankleader
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2009 - 11:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Rowan,

Tanks
Andy

Hi Andy

Sorry for the late repy - I'm only just back home. This is getting weirder and weirder - I didn't spot any fuselage panel line misalignment (my worry is still the lower fuselage contour, but the parts fit fine...) when I checked in a test fit for the review or during later work on the build. I'll get back to the kit this weekend and have another close look, but it's sounding like descriptions of two different kits!

I got a "short shot" cowling in the review kit, and Eduard sent me an entire sprue as a replacement, so I'll check that too.

All the best

Rowan

Hello Rowan,
Here are a couple of images showing the gaps.

This shows the belly to wing join. I've used white out to close the gaps, I still need to do some clean up. Notice the Squadron green putty on the radiator housing, this was used to close a gap there as well, The radiator seemed like it wasn't formed correctly.

This image shows the gaps in the armor plate behind the pilots seat, still needs a little cleand up.

Tanks
Andy
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2009 - 12:01 AM UTC
Cheers Andreas

Yes - as I say, I can see there'll be a small gap at the rear of the wing underside on my kit too. However, I've checked two kit fuselages and can't find any sign of the misaligned panel lines you mentioned.

Anyway, I've finally had a chance to get going again on my build. As has been noted, the etched nose radiator cores are too big as supplied (I haven't checked the wings yet...) and need trimming down to fit:

I've got the engine just about finished, with a few additions from the etched upgrade set and a couple of extra cables. I ignored the instructions and fitted the firewall first, leaving the engine separate. It's a tight squeeze this way, but still slots in fine:

I'll hopefully get the cockpit installed this afternoon and close up the fuselage. The wings are already finished, so with a bit of luck it might start looking like an airplane...

All the best

Rowan
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2009 - 03:55 AM UTC
Hi again

Well, you win some, you lose some. I've cracked on and made surprisingly good progress (by my feeble standards...), but lost a battle with the Carpet Monster in the process!

I'd got the cockpit just about ready when I noticed that the trim wheel chains had disappeared. Since, I'd been carting the model back and forth between two rooms, there was no chance of finding where they'd decided to try to go into orbit, and I resorted to a quick and nasty fix with a couple of twists of fuse-wire:

With the cockpit fitted, I closed everything up and attached the wings. To be honest, I didn't find the fit bad at all - here's the result without any filler:

So that's it for the moment. Still plenty to do, but I need to go work on some Reviews, so I might not make any more progress today.

All the best

Rowan
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 05:01 AM UTC
Been following your build here and it's looking great so far Rowan . Even with all the issues every one keeps talking about . Not as bad as some comments on Hyperscale though . Some of those guy's are just nasty about the nick-picing which can be a turn off I find .

The cockpit looks great and I really like the painting , very clean . Learn't in the past before that the carpet moster always wins in the end and PE parts are the devils works !

It's great to see the building of a kit and how one corrects the issues with out all the post being nick-picing . Looking forward to more ...................................