Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
REVIEW
DH 2 -1st true fighter aeroplane
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 - 01:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Very Nice Stephen ! I do like the faded look of the PC10 on the fuselage Stephen . Also noted the PE mounting attachments on the cab struts , did these come with your set of PE parts ? This is giving some ideas for the BlueMax kit in the back of my mind for a future project Thanks Stephen !

Thank you Terri,

I started using slightly modified Eduard aftermarket control horns for the cabane rigging attachments ( the ones with the extreme curve). That was before I received Wotjek Fajga's DH 2 detail sets. The Eduard mods are a close second to the rigging attachments on the originals. I am loath to say that I have another Eduard 1:48 DH 2 build going on behind the scenes to this one. It is got so much PE I really can't call it a plastic kit.

What I wish is that he would do some Fokker D.VII wing skeletals in 1:48. . .

Yes , that would be nice to see Wotjek do a wing skeletal for the Fokker D.VII or even an Albie !
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 12, 2011 - 11:23 AM UTC
It looks like Eduard may be reissue of the # 8094 DH-2 1/48 ProfiPACK. SSssshhhhhh its a secret!
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 12, 2011 - 11:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It looks like Eduard may be reissue of the # 8094 DH-2 1/48 ProfiPACK. SSssshhhhhh its a secret!

My lips are sealed This would be most excellent and along time waiting for them to do so . Still have the first profipack in the stash and one I couldn't part with . In ways though it would be nice to see Eduard come up with subjects which haven't been kitted before . Then again a redo of the Hannover would be most welcome ! Here's to hoping .............
Removed by original poster on 01/12/11 - 23:47:45 (GMT).
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 12, 2011 - 01:44 PM UTC
Since you are willing to keep the secret guess which book is my next purchase?

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 12, 2011 - 01:53 PM UTC
You really know how to make a girl depressed don't you ! With all these new kits and books coming out ....and I can't even afford a tube of glue !
Rotebaron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jalisco, Mexico
KitMaker: 182 posts
AeroScale: 179 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 02:13 PM UTC
Nice work! museum quality, thanks for share.

Al
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 12:42 PM UTC
With the re-release of the Profipack kit #8094 I am adding its URL here for future research fiends, enthusiasts and devotees! Click here.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 11:41 PM UTC
You have to practice what you preach. I had a project that had languished for far too long. And after the recent Region X I had scheduled the completion of my last single inprogress builds, an DH 2. I decided to press through without adding some "planned additions". There were some already and as it was planned for a diorama, I thought it was time to get cracking.

Then, just as had finished most of the rigging I reached for my turn table to set up a couple of images. Then "BANG!!" a stored D cell battery crashed from the shelf on to the horizontal and vertical tail planes. Shearing the top tail booms, knocking off the tailplane surfaces into individual components. Fortunately they were not rigged yet. Crushed the tail skid and snapped 2 struts.

Believe me I was very surprised when I did not let loose a tiriad of anger. Instead I took a few minutes and wished I could buy back the last 3 minutes before the accident. It took me about and hour to get most of the damage fixed / repaired. Still more to do but I have to say I surprised myself. To have so much vested in a build but not loose my mind because of the damage (this close to being finished) is a bit of a milestone for me. It does not happen often but when it did I was able to keep my perspective. After all it is only a model.

Here it is at the moment much of the damage repaired.

Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2015 - 12:19 AM UTC
Hi Stephen

Ouch! But accidents do happen. I had a whole shelf fall down on a sample build a year or so back. That was pretty calamitous... one of those "the world stands still" moments as I surveyed the wreckage.

On a lesser level, back in the days when we were still part of Armorama, I managed to drop my old "Easter Chick" Albatros just as it was nearing completion. A lesson learned the hard way... biplanes don't bounce well.

All the best

Rowan
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 10:28 PM UTC
DH 2 5973 had a long career. Serving from about Late Sept. 1916 to early 1917. It went through several squadrons. RFC 24, 29 and maybe 32. In its service time the the upper right main plane was replaced at least twice. I'll be adding some Model Celler figures to this in a few days. But lets call her done!

Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 12:00 AM UTC
Hi Stephen

Nice! It's great to see the old gal survived her accident and came back looking so good.

All the best

Rowan
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 12:20 AM UTC
That's what happens when you leave a doped fabric aircraft where the cows can get to it...
CaptnTommy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 424 posts
AeroScale: 389 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2015 - 09:59 PM UTC
The wing looks like it took an Ack-Ack near miss (concussion not shrapnel). Is there history on the model from Pusher Aces, maybe? Or are you depicting an "old fabric failure"? The Sgt.Maj. will not be pleased.

You might put some small shrapnel scratch marks in the Inter-plane struts, if this was more than a fabric failure.

enjoy
Captn Tommy
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2015 - 12:23 AM UTC
G'day Capt!
From the damage I went with possibly getting too close to an exploding observation balloon. Further damage has one of the tail booms damaged probably from the resultant landing. There is a photo of the first upper wing repair while with 29 or 32 Sqn but the airframe was given a coat of PC10 or 12 when with 24 Sqn. I finished and thought some of the rigging lines were too taught. So I applied some secondary heat to slacken a few up so it looks like they were over-stressed (probably in the landing as well). I have a couple of Model Cellar figures that I will use.

Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2015 - 12:52 AM UTC
Hi Stephen

I was going to suggest the rigging was a tad too intact considering the damage, but didn't like to lest you took it as a criticism.

Beautifully painted figures! They totally put any of my feeble efforts to shame and will look stunning next to the aircraft!

All the best

Rowan
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2015 - 08:36 AM UTC
No worries Merlin, How could I take anything you offer as criticism. Also, to be clear the Model Cellar figure image is from their website. I will start on mine later next week if all goes well.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2015 - 11:29 AM UTC
Hi Stephen

Of course, I aim to offer constructive criticism (whether in modelling or anything else) - and having been in receipt of it often enough over the years, I know how important it is in refining / improving what I do.

Sorry for the mistaken identity on the figures and I hope yours turn out nice. The photo was another reminder of just how much I need to about figure-painting - they are a work of art. Frighteningly good! My efforts would most likely just be plain frightening (in the gruesome sense) and certainly attract a heap of criticism. I expect the most positive remark would be along the lines of "Well done for trying"! LOL!

All the best

Rowan
CaptnTommy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 424 posts
AeroScale: 389 posts
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2015 - 09:57 PM UTC
Hadn't thought of a balloon pop, that would explain the non singed horizontal stab. Lucky you didn't jam the aileron with all that fabric flapping. Did you use foil or paper four the fabric?

Captn Tommy
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2015 - 11:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hadn't thought of a balloon pop, that would explain the non singed horizontal stab... Captn Tommy

Hi Tom

I don't know - wouldn't there be some singing if the fireball was close enough to cause that kind of damage? Whatever, the trashed fabric is very nicely depicted.

All the best

Rowan
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2015 - 06:17 AM UTC
The material was the Aviattic fabric weave decals. They formed the basis and I matched the paint already on the airframe.

Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 12:35 AM UTC
Hi again Stephen

From the samples they showed us on the restoration training course at Hendon, I'd have gone for less bleed-though of the top-colour, but your depiction of damaged fabric is very impressive.

All the best

Rowan
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 08:56 AM UTC
Try some of the Aviattic decals. One fellow used cellophane painted white to apply to a skeletal wing then laid down the Aviattic over the dried cellphane (already on the wing).
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 01:11 AM UTC
Cheers Stephen

I'd probably just use clear decal film painted on the reverse side. I doubt I'll ever go for a weave-effect in 1:48 - as you know, I'm still to be convinced of the authenticity in scales like this. It's a modelling vogue I'm happy to eschew, as shading and texturing more than do the trick for me.

All the best

Rowan
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 04:07 AM UTC
I painted over the Aviattic finish to match the paint on the rest of the build's upper & lower surfaces. Its the quality of the decals that lets them be manipulated.

Quoted Text

The material was the Aviattic fabric weave decals. They formed the basis and I matched the paint already on the airframe.