World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
REVIEW
Fw 190 A-5 w/BMW 327
AIRGUNNER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 246 posts
AeroScale: 234 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 01:52 AM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc,

That cockpit looks superb, any chance you could do a mini step by step guide on how you achieve that look for us mere mortals

Steve
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 07:33 AM UTC
Hi all!

Quoted Text

What is the purpose of the "additional pipe" ?

Good question Andy... I don't know! Anyone out there with an answer?

Quoted Text

That cockpit looks superb, any chance you could do a mini step by step guide on how you achieve that look for us mere mortals

Steve, isn't it exactely what I'm doing right now? I suppose you want something more detailed perhaps...

Today was masking day!

the most time consuming job was to do the stylized "eagle wings" on the fuselage sides. With masking tape from Tamiya I achieved a results I wouldn't have achieved with the decals. I also sprayed the yellow tactical markings...

The whole model was "Futured" and now I will do the fun part of the build: applying the decals!

I also made some progress on the BMW car. Almost all the parts were painted in their appropriate colors and now all I have to do is get everything together.

Let's hope that tomorrow it will rain as much as today. It would give me a good excuse to return to my modelling room again.

Jean-Luc
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 09:02 AM UTC
Excellent work Jean-Luc.That Bimmer looks great. The FW to.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 07:50 PM UTC
Great work as always, Jean-Luc. I think I will copy your masking for the markings. Interesting with the Eduard and Hasegawa comparisons.

Thanks for sharing
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 04:28 AM UTC
Hi all!

Carl and Jesper, thanks for your kind words...

I applied the decals on the Fw 190 today...

I'm not finished though, I still have to apply the stencils. The decals are typical Hasegawa. Not bad but a little on the thick side. I cut away as much carrier film as I could to avoid silvering, especially on the white fuselage and wing crosses.

I also worked on the BMW 327. It starts to look like a car now...

There is still some work to do but I think it will be finished before the plane. Hasegawa's BMW 327 kit is lovely, I really enjoy building it. The only bad point are the decals again. Some are simply unusable on the kit because they don't conform to the relief surface. I had to paint the engine grills for example...

I don't know if I can do some building tomorrow. Rain has stopped here in the East of France and we will have sunny weather so I will probably do some work in our garden

Jean-Luc
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 04:51 AM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

very nice!!

The red is better than the fire engine red of the model on the box, but I still would like it a bit "deeper" ... maybe some layers of Klear/Future will bring some extra shine (I know from my Citroën experience that it is hard to achive the real-car look in 48 scale) ... keep posting SBS

cheers

Steffen
AIRGUNNER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 246 posts
AeroScale: 234 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 04:58 AM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc,

More great work, that car looks fantastic.

When I enquired about a more detailed piece about how you do your cockpits etc, I just wondered how it looked in between each stage of paint, wash, dry-brushing and in which order you do them. Also, do you have any special techniques or tricks.

Glad to hear the weather has improved, wish ours would as it would be nice to get into the garden once this summer.

Steve
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 07:29 PM UTC
Hi Steffen and Steve!

Quoted Text

The red is better than the fire engine red of the model on the box, but I still would like it a bit "deeper" ...

Actually the red is more like the one of the boxart I take my build pictures on the workbench I have in my basement. there is almost no natural light and the model is just below a neon tube. I already applied 3 or 4 coats of Future (Klir) and I can't get more shine than this with this technique. I could buff and polish the car though.

Quoted Text

When I enquired about a more detailed piece about how you do your cockpits etc, I just wondered how it looked in between each stage of paint, wash, dry-brushing and in which order you do them. Also, do you have any special techniques or tricks.

Next time when I'll build a model I will try to take pictures of each stage for you.

Thanks for your comments...

Jean-Luc
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2007 - 10:11 AM UTC
Hi all!

Today, after some modelling work... in my garden I managed to find two hours to finish the BMW car. Yesterday I said it would be finished before the plane and I was right.

The car was built mainly out of the box. I left the chrome plated parts like they were so you can make yourself your own opinion about them. I replaced both the antenna and the leather stripes provided in the kit though. The wire for the antenna was to thick for my taste so I used a thinner one. The "leather" provided by Hasegawa in the kit was useless so I used Cammet masking tape (1mm) painted in brown.

I didn't used the kit decals for the engine grills and painted them. I used a dark wash and the result is quite similar but more realistic in my opinion.

Once finished the model is very fragile because of the numerous detail parts. I used almost only CA glue in the gel formula for this kit and tried to use the minimum to avoid smears.

Now I must go back to the Fw 190!

Jean-Luc
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2007 - 10:17 AM UTC
Great looking car Jean-Luc.
I feel the one thing that does let it down is the kit doesn't come with weighted wheels.
Would have used the same technique as you for the grills, the decals look horrible.
Andy
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2007 - 10:54 AM UTC
Hello Jean-Luc

very nice model, but, you know me, one "very important" remark (as Andy already pointed out): flaten the tires

It is looking like a Ballerina. I can recommend the ironing technique, but it is a little dangerous ... do at least a little sanding to improve the look

good nite

Steffen
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 05:47 AM UTC
Bimmer looks great. I didn't notice the tires until Steffen brought it to everybody's attention.

You really do nice work.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 12:01 AM UTC
Hi Carl

I am just the messenger ...

cheers

Steffen
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 06:10 AM UTC
Hi all!

Quoted Text

I can recommend the ironing technique, but it is a little dangerous ... do at least a little sanding to improve the look

Thanks for pointing that out guys. I didn't used the ironing technique but sanded the tires...

Do you think it's enough?

I also made the panel lines of the Fw190 and the model received a coat of Future + Tamiya Flay Base...

Not much progress but after some hard work in my garden (and it's not finished ) at least I found the way to my workbench again...

Jean-Luc
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 06:37 AM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

As for the car: I think it is enough. It should not have flat tyres, but even if it is a spots car, there is some weight on the tyres. .... I would buy that car

What is a "flay base" .. or is it a typo?

... do not forget to paint the black cooling vents panel (I think I would have done it before the flat cote ... if "flay base" is what I think).

Else it looks outstanding !!! ... as I expect it from you

best wishes

Steffen
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 07:00 AM UTC
Hi Steffen!

Quoted Text

What is a "flay base" .. or is it a typo?

Flay Base! That's a new product! Of course it should have been Flat Base...

I'll do the black cooling vents panel, I didn't forgot.

Jean-Luc
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 07:01 AM UTC
The car looks a lot better now Jean-Luc, doesn't seem to be on tiptoes now.
The Fw 190 looks superb so far.
Did you mix the Future and Flat base together, if so what ratio, did you add anything else to it ?
Andy
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 07:15 AM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

Fantastic work as usual! The '190's rudder looks just the job with the overspray.

All the best

Rowan
TheZOX
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovenia
KitMaker: 86 posts
AeroScale: 75 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 09:10 PM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc.
The BMW is very impressive it looks better than some 1:24 scale car models. And FW 190 looks supeb so far .
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 01:48 AM UTC
Are you going to flatten the tires on the FW?

Steffan-our Deutcher minds work the same.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 02:13 AM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

I had a look at the pictures again and I am not sure if you are pulling legs re the "flattened" tyres:

original pic:

improved:

Both look very similar. What got me started was this one (see below) Can you please post a complementary pic of this:

thank you!

Hi Carl

I think it is more of "modellers think alike" ... but I am proud to be German so if you have the feeling that it is our heritage that make us think alike, I welcome that

cheers

Steffen
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 06:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Can you please post a complementary pic of this:

Hi Steffen!

So you don't trust me!

You are right, I should have used another angle. Here it is...

And another one from below as a proof...

The Fw 190 is almost finished. Only a couple of things are left to do... and yes I flatened the tyres on the plane!

I almost forgot the poor Priller! I've painted the figure in the basic color and did some drybrushing...

That's all for now. Steffen, you made me miss the first ten minutes of Zagreb Vs Bremen (Champion's League) on ZDF...

Jean-Luc
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 07:17 AM UTC
Hi J-L

It is not that I do not trust you, I just had another look at the pix and thes seemed very similar. Great job on both the car and the a/c. .... I did some work on my Fw 190 A-4 (Nowotny JG 101 in Pau) too

BTW I rather watch the new Stargate episodes than football .. but there are comercial breaks.

cheers

Steffen
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 03:07 AM UTC
Hi all!

The Fw 190 + BMW327 + Priller figure build is finished. Here are some more pictures...

Overall it was a fun and enjoying build. Apart from the decals, I found both kits very good and I highly recommend them. I think that with the addition of figures and equipment from the Tamiya Luftwaffe Aircraft Power Supply Unit set, this kit can constitute the base of a very nice diorama.
The base I used for the pictures is a product of Mark58

Jean-Luc
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 06:55 AM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

sehr gut!!!

I personally do not like irregular shaped bases (I prefer rectangular bases) but you did a good job on them!

whats next?

best wishes

Steffen