_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
GWH 1/48 scale P-61A Black Widow
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 07:47 PM UTC
Avery good build and finish Joel, thanks for sharing, your attitude to this is quite inspirational
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2014 - 04:32 AM UTC
Damian, & Terri, thank you both for those more then kind words. And Damian, I promise that most of my builds will always be wings with props. My interest in those " pointed nose" wingy things is strictly 1st generation jet through the Phantom era.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2014 - 04:37 AM UTC
Mal,
thank you.

All I did was present my build here to all of you with an explanation of the whys and how's. It's guys like you that push our hobby not only forward but upward with your Mask techniques.
Joel
FredrikA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uppsala, Sweden
KitMaker: 92 posts
AeroScale: 90 posts
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2014 - 10:19 PM UTC
Great build and presentation Joel!

I've always found black finishes daunting and all black ones really, really scary - but you've shown that it's possible.

What's your next build?
/Fred
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 02:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Damian, Thanks for your input. Can you share with us a picture or two of the Red Black paint with the straight Black panel lines.

Found a couple of pics Joel . . .

This is the old Monogram boxing, here's how the Lady finished up .....

Cheers, D
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 08:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Great build and presentation Joel!

I've always found black finishes daunting and all black ones really, really scary - but you've shown that it's possible.

What's your next build?
/Fred

Fred,
Thanks so much for your positive comments. Black really isn't any harder to do then any other color, it just seems to show every error and miscue. If you look close enough, you'll see my fair share of errors. Of course going with a more weathered look, really helps to hide them.

As I told Damian, I'm going to be moving up a few eras to the mid 60's, and do the 1/48 scale Academy F4B Phantom 11. This is my 1st Jet, or should I say non-prop plane in nearly 40 years. Damn thing scares me as it's a whole new world. Should be a fun trip. I'm looking forward to it.
Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 08:36 AM UTC
Damian, Impressive. Jessica was right, Monogram did open up one engine cowling, and here I thought that I finally did a little original thinking out of the box.

Those raised red/black panel lines do stand out just enough to break up the massive black expanse of the wings. I'm thinking that it would be even more effective with recessed panel lines.

Joel
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 12:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Damian, Impressive. Jessica was right, Monogram did open up one engine cowling, and here I thought that I finally did a little original thinking out of the box.

Those raised red/black panel lines do stand out just enough to break up the massive black expanse of the wings. I'm thinking that it would be even more effective with recessed panel lines.

Joel

Thanks Joel. The panel lines are highly-thinned straight black. They are post-shaded over the 50:50 Black:Red-Brown base coat on the entire aircraft.

I actually quite like the old Monogram kit, contrary to popular opinion, and since you can now pick it up for $10-$20 on sale or at swap meets you can afford to play around and experiment a bit. I have 6 kits stashed away along with a few AM decal, resin and PE sets, so my next Widow build might be an all-out epic including scribing the panel lines. I am keeping an eye out for the Vector glass set as this was the only part of my last build that was a real pain.

Cheers, D
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 12:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Joel

Thanks Joel. The panel lines are highly-thinned straight black. They are post-shaded over the 50:50 Black:Red-Brown base coat on the entire aircraft.

I actually quite like the old Monogram kit, contrary to popular opinion, and since you can now pick it up for $10-$20 on sale or at swap meets you can afford to play around and experiment a bit. I have 6 kits stashed away along with a few AM decal, resin and PE sets, so my next Widow build might be an all-out epic including scribing the panel lines. I am keeping an eye out for the Vector glass set as this was the only part of my last build that was a real pain.

Cheers, D

Damian, the kit still looks pretty good even for it's age. It's the raised panel lines that would scare me away. I have major issues just trying to redo lines I screwed up. Doing a whole aircraft would be a nightmare for me.
Joel
Ruffus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Guatemala
KitMaker: 343 posts
AeroScale: 111 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 04:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You're turning it into the Monogram kit!

Ha!! I was thinking just the same!! nice work though!!

Byron
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 03:57 AM UTC
[quote
Ha!! I was thinking just the same!! nice work though!!

Byron [/quote]

Byron, thanks for having a look. Glad you liked my efforts. Although not everything I did turned out to be an original idea.
Joel
Peterpools
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 197 posts
AeroScale: 193 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 01:11 AM UTC
JA
Nice going, you made it
Bro
Joel_W