_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Roden 1:32 DH 2 My first real stringbag
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 11:59 PM UTC
Hi All,

After reading up a bit on the DH2 I finally plucked up some courage to actually start building.

I've been seriously impressed with the efforts of some of the other members on this craft from both Eduard and Roden kits (Though – how anyone can do so fine work in scales below 1:32 is beyond me).

This will be the very first pushertype I do, and the first real stringbag as well – I think the most difficult kit I've done riggingwise before, is the SE5a, and the Sopwith Camel...

Taking a leaf, from among others, Kornbeefs book, I decided to make things a bit harder for myself, just building and rigging would not do – no Sir!

I want to show off the internal structure a bit more, so I've made a decision to show one side of the narcelle – sans fabric. This means building a new frame, and deconstructing the kitbits a bit – here's how I'm doing at the moment...

Chopping up has begun...

Then I decided to chop some more, and also thin everything down – a lot – my fingers still feel sore from all the sanding.

Testfitting the "new" bits together with the frame – looks like it could work...

Here's the top parts a bit more detailed up, and the new fabric side cut to size and detailed (I'm using Eduards etchset here) I will try to represent wrinkles in the fabric by burnishing the thin plastic sheet – foil just was to flimsy to work here.

As the engine will be very visible – I decided to dress it up a bit – new valve springs from a brass set i had handy, pushrods were exchanged. I also decided to represent the airintake, carb, and oilpump on the back of the engine plate... I plan to connect pipes from the tank, pulsator etc to here as well.

Well looks like I'm on a new journey into the slightly unknown – thanks to the influence of you Aeroscalians

Thanks for looking – any and all comments are as usual most welcome

Mikael
edoardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 642 posts
AeroScale: 382 posts
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2010 - 01:11 AM UTC
Hi Mikael!
Very good start indeed!
What you did on the engine is very interesting: something I'll store for future use!
Did you find anything wrong with the kit? In mine the engine presents a very ugly deep sinkhole in one of the cylinders , how would you deal with that?

Keep on going!

ciao
Edo
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2010 - 03:32 AM UTC
Oh Mikael,

Sorry my influence rubbed off on you but you did exactly what my first mod of this kit would be if I had courage to tackle it, though I might well have just cut out between the members of the Roden frame and skinned over.

Had you thought of something stronger than foil before going with the thin plasticard? I've tried Tomato puree tube beer cans etc with mixed results..wine bottle cap too if its metal can be useful.

I love what you have done with the engine.

As I said its not a kit I would choose to tackle..RiggerMortis would set in

I'll watch with extreme interest though how this progresses.

Tks for sharing

Keith

gajouette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 356 posts
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2010 - 05:27 AM UTC
Mikael,
Appears to be the beginning of another Masterpiece my friend.Looking forward to following this thread.No doubt I'll learn something useful along the way.
Merry Christmas,
Gregory Jouette
dmopath
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 175 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2010 - 05:43 AM UTC
Mikael:

An excellent start. I too will be keeping up with this build as this kit is near the top of my "build next" pile.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2010 - 01:53 PM UTC
Most excellent progress Mikael ! Nice to see you tackling a pusher
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2010 - 03:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Mikael! Very good start indeed! What you did on the engine is very interesting: something I'll store for future use! Did you find anything wrong with the kit? In mine the engine presents a very ugly deep sinkhole in one of the cylinders , how would you deal with that? Keep on going!

ciao
Edo

Edo, Check with Roden send them an email with images of your damaged motor part(s). Tell them you can't build it this way. They may send you a replacement. They are good folks and I have always benefited dealing directly with them. Let me know if it works.

Stephen
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 02:12 AM UTC
Hi Mikael:
Your work on the engine is really noteworthy. What did you use for the rocker arms? I have been toying with getting one of these but just haven't made the jump. Yours is really coming along nicely, and cudos for the extra work on the fuselage. I am looking forward to this with "Keen Interest".

Best

Mark
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, December 13, 2010 - 07:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh Mikael,

Sorry my influence rubbed off on you but you did exactly what my first mod of this kit would be if I had courage to tackle it, though I might well have just cut out between the members of the Roden frame and skinned over.

Had you thought of something stronger than foil before going with the thin plasticard? I've tried Tomato puree tube beer cans etc with mixed results..wine bottle cap too if its metal can be useful.

I love what you have done with the engine.

As I said its not a kit I would choose to tackle..RiggerMortis would set in

I'll watch with extreme interest though how this progresses.

Tks for sharing

Keith

Thank You Keith for you kind comments – and don't be too sorry, I think your influence may well make me a better modeller

Also thank You for the tips on the skinning, I shall give the metal of a tube or winecap a shot, sounds like it could be worth a try for sure...

Oh – and I too am a bit scared of the rigging, but I hope that using Bobs buckles will make rigging a bit easier – mind you, there will be an awful lot of threads to connect. I have seen Tim Wests rigging diagram though, and this seems a good help that gives a method to the madness.

I shall keep you posted on my progress

Mikael
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, December 13, 2010 - 07:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Mikael!
Very good start indeed!
What you did on the engine is very interesting: something I'll store for future use!
Did you find anything wrong with the kit? In mine the engine presents a very ugly deep sinkhole in one of the cylinders , how would you deal with that?

Keep on going!

ciao
Edo

Hi Edo – and Thank You so much

I did not have any sinkmarks on the engine – but it was cast with a slight warp between the moulds, creating a ridge on the cylinders. I've treated it as best I could, and hope it woun't show too much...

There is ofcourse also a Resin version of this engine from Neomega resin – but Im trying to keep cost down a bit.

Kind Regards

Mikael
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, December 13, 2010 - 07:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mikael,
Appears to be the beginning of another Masterpiece my friend.Looking forward to following this thread.No doubt I'll learn something useful along the way.
Merry Christmas,
Gregory Jouette

Hello Gregory my friend And Thank You so much for your kind comments

While researching the DH2 I came across one of your scratchbuilds in 1:72, I beive –Very impressive indeed!!!

A merry Christmas to you as well

Mikael
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, December 13, 2010 - 07:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mikael:

An excellent start. I too will be keeping up with this build as this kit is near the top of my "build next" pile.

Thank You Dennis, Do try this one, so far I am really liking the experience (but I have not started any of rigging yet ofcourse)

Best Regards

Mikael
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, December 13, 2010 - 07:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Most excellent progress Mikael ! Nice to see you tackling a pusher

Hi Terri

Thank You vey much indeed – your FE 8 build, among others, did inspire me to tackle this build.

Best Regards

Mikael
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, December 13, 2010 - 07:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Mikael:
Your work on the engine is really noteworthy. What did you use for the rocker arms? I have been toying with getting one of these but just haven't made the jump. Yours is really coming along nicely, and cudos for the extra work on the fuselage. I am looking forward to this with "Keen Interest".

Best

Mark

Hi Mark – good to hear from you – and Thank You so very much for you kind comments.

The Rocker arms themselves, comes from a Part of Poland PE set (for the Sopwith Camel actually), The springs was made from scratch by winding copper wire on a plastic rod, and the pushrods are 0,5 mm brass rod.

Hope this helps

Take Care, – And Best Regards

Mikael
Rotebaron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jalisco, Mexico
KitMaker: 182 posts
AeroScale: 179 posts
Posted: Monday, December 13, 2010 - 05:04 PM UTC
Great work!!!!! nice to see the advance.
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 08:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Great work!!!!! nice to see the advance.

Thank You Alfredo – your comments are much apreciated
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 08:33 AM UTC
Hi All

I managed to squeeze in some building time in between decorating the tree and eating ham with the family, so I thoght I'd do an update of where I am at the moment.

So far I'm really enjoying this build very much (but I guess I may sing another tune once the rigging starts in earnest ) I have always liked doing the interiors and engines of these planes, and with this one there is a lot of that going on.

Here are some pics of my progress, as you can se all details are not yet in place, and some more paint is to be done on the exterior panels.

Note that the frame probably should be finised in grey as well. However as I want to show off the internal structure in my build, I have chosen to show it as wood. Also the top panels are only dryfitted here. I'll put the fuselage together from the bottom up I think.

The resin wicker seat is an AM part from Pheon models

At the moment I'm thinking about how to finish the pertol tank off. I know it was covered in a canvas bag, and I think Larsa used a teabag of some sorts to do this – but are there any other way that someone can recomend?

Also was the whole tank covered, or only the bottom half? So far I have not seen a pic of what this may look like...

Any and all comments and suggestions are as usual most welcome.

Warm Regards and a Happy New Year to You all

Mikael
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 09:08 AM UTC
What you have done so far looks fantastic.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 10:20 AM UTC
Looking good!
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 12:38 PM UTC
What a great way to end the modelling year with an excellent up-date on the progress you have made so far !

Details are coming along very fine indeed , engine looks exceptional well ( try this in 48 scale )

For the fuel tank from what I understand is that it was all covered in canvas ( or at least the sides ) and yes Lars did use a tea bag , in his profile he should have his build of this inder features . I was thinking about using the paper which comes in the toe's of new shoes . Also though , tea bag paper does come in different grains depending on the manufacture .

It's always nice to be inspired by other folks builds for future projects and to get ones mojo back . As soon as both sopwiths are done . I will turn my attention back on the FE-8 and Rodens Pfalz D.III in 32 scale . Then I'm not sure which vac kit will be next . Maybe Koster's SSW D.III / IV

Looking forward to the next up-date
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 02:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The Rocker arms themselves, comes from a Part of Poland PE set (for the Sopwith Camel actually), The springs was made from scratch by winding copper wire on a plastic rod, and the pushrods are 0,5 mm brass rod.

Hope this helps

Take Care, – And Best Regards
Mikael

Hi Mikael:

Thanks for the tip. THis is really coming along nicely, I am looking forward to more as you progress.
Best in the new year.

Mark
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 08:48 PM UTC
Looking increasingly impressive Mikael, Pheons seat looks the business I must say too.

Excellent work so far, just as a thought though
(you know me and my thoughts )
The floor/underside, dont forget in scale it will be very thin if you intend to show a side uncovered, I just noticed the thickness in the first set of pics posted.

I'm sure though you have taken that into consideration.

Beautiful work again
K
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 07:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What you have done so far looks fantastic.

Quoted Text

Looking good!

Thank You very much Stephen Thank You very much Carl – a Happy New Modeling Year to you both!

Mikael
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 07:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What a great way to end the modelling year with an excellent up-date on the progress you have made so far !

Details are coming along very fine indeed , engine looks exceptional well ( try this in 48 scale )

For the fuel tank from what I understand is that it was all covered in canvas ( or at least the sides ) and yes Lars did use a tea bag , in his profile he should have his build of this inder features . I was thinking about using the paper which comes in the toe's of new shoes . Also though , tea bag paper does come in different grains depending on the manufacture .

It's always nice to be inspired by other folks builds for future projects and to get ones mojo back . As soon as both sopwiths are done . I will turn my attention back on the FE-8 and Rodens Pfalz D.III in 32 scale . Then I'm not sure which vac kit will be next . Maybe Koster's SSW D.III / IV

Looking forward to the next up-date

Thank You for your kind comments Terri I really don't know how you make so fine detaling in 1:48 – I find it fiddley enough in this scale

Thank You for the info on the tank – I'll look a bit closer at what Larsa did on his build in this department, I did manage to locate a pic of a built up frame, (poor quality) where it seems the lower half of the tank is in a bag – guessing this is the look I'll go for in the end!

Oh – and do continue on thet FE-8, I do like the look of that build especially those scratchbuilt wings....

All the best for 2011

Mikael
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 07:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

[
Hi Mikael:

Thanks for the tip. THis is really coming along nicely, I am looking forward to more as you progress.
Best in the new year.

Mark

Thank You Mark – all my best wishes for 2011 (Oh and I'm hoping to see some pics form your Ninak build )

Mikael
 _GOTOTOP