Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Roden 1:32 Sopwith Triplane
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,058 posts
AeroScale: 1,004 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2010 - 06:52 AM UTC
Hi
It´s just short update for tonight. Just starting to mask up every spar on the wing to get them redy for preshadings.This cutting tape in thin strips takes some hours to fix up. Not the funnest fixes but I like the results of it when the topcolours is on.

The engine and cover is glued in place and there was a tight fit, so give it a bit off sanding on the inside off the cowling and it pops in place.Almost no glued needed.
Very little filler was used to cover up, and a fine sanding paper and water is used to clean it up.

Here´s the Triphound with a fellow the Pup.

The pup is just another story and project..

Feel free to comment

Larsa
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2010 - 10:06 AM UTC
Greetings Larsa,

Note the fuselage stations showing on the rear top decking.
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 03:57 AM UTC
Hi Larsa:

You are making good progress and your comments are noteworthy for those following along on their own builds. I haven't gotten mine yet, but will soon, and hopefully I will be able to get into it; once the house is back together, and I will be using your build as a point of reference.

Looking forward to more updates.

Best
Mark
bigal07
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
AeroScale: 31 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 04:49 AM UTC
This is quite amazing as I am just beginning to realise there's photoetch for aircraft, and looking this good has just blown by boots off, I don't normally build aircraft as you can probably tell, but if I could build something only half as good as your one, I'd be well and truely hooked.
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 11:46 AM UTC
Great work Lars.

I know what you mean about the Dr.I engine.. I had to take heaps off the cylinder heads to allow that engine to fit in its cowling. Would have been nice to be able to have the engine and prop spin inside the cowling, but I ran out of patience before that happened.

Keep up the updates..

Cheers
Warren
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 12:15 PM UTC
She is coming along very well lars . Nice to here that the fit of this kit is quit good compared to other kit's in their 32 line . Pup is looking good as well
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 05:21 AM UTC
Thanks for all responses folks
Here´s this weeks update.Preparing for the first preshading have taking all my time. Cutting thin stripes of maskingtapes for the Triphound.

There´s one less stripe to add

Almost there, well there´s a few left to caut and add

I will go for that Russian scheme, and have to fix a par of skis for it.

All comments are welcome

Larsa
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 09:30 AM UTC
Who says rib tapes are not fun!
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 09:41 PM UTC
Hi Larsa

Ribtaping is looking good – lots of them too with three wings

Looking forward to the preshading to come!

All the Best

Mikael
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2010 - 02:16 AM UTC

The rib taping looks good and will yield the desired results. There are masking tapes in different widths, I know I use the Pactra brand masking tapes. Did you explore their use and availability prior to cutting your own widths?

Best
Mark
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2010 - 06:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The rib taping looks good and will yield the desired results. There are masking tapes in different widths, I know I use the Pactra brand masking tapes. Did you explore their use and availability prior to cutting your own widths?

Best
Mark

Saving my money for the realese of Wingnuts Cutting the tape is not fun but who says modelling should be.

Thanks for all comments

regards
Larsa
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Friday, October 22, 2010 - 09:20 AM UTC
Hi
The preshades is on the model, used Humbrols brown 62 and black 33.Low pressure and lots of thinners in the jar.

All the stripes of tape went off just after cleaning up the airbrush there was alot of stripes Puttingthem on is one thing, taking them off another

So this updates will be a short one. I´m greatful for all your comment ,thanks ..
Larsa
bigal07
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
AeroScale: 31 posts
Posted: Friday, October 22, 2010 - 08:19 PM UTC
Being quite new at this I was wondering about the PE, is this universal, or is there certain kits for dare I say, certain kits ? The machine gun does instantly look good, and the simple drop on the seat - seatbelt, that just used look.
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 05:48 AM UTC
Al,

Most PE is kit specific of course say a set for a Roden Albatros D.II can of course yield lots of parts useful for other albatrossen or other A/C I used an Albatros access panels on a Dr.I as some had them fitted in the field. Of course seatbelts, gun jackets etc are useable from set to set. There are sets of seperate generic seatbelts, Gun jackets, instrument cases, stitching, rigging points and such and now ribtapes produced seperately too.

Keith
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, October 24, 2010 - 09:19 PM UTC
Hi Larsa,

Nice preshading effect  – all of your cutting and masking really payed off

Is it PC 12 or 10 on this machine? (and whats your mix?)

Best Regards

Mikael
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, October 25, 2010 - 03:33 AM UTC
Hi
Thanks for all comments. Pc 12 i my guess for this machine. So the mixes in Humbrol would psoably be some light brown,green and brick/dark red. I´ll come back with the Humbrol numbers when I´m there. First out will be the dooped linne,I´ll going to use Humbrol 103, mixed with tinyblack33 and brown 110.The black/brown thing is just to knock off the "yellowish" in 103. Often uses this trick to dull the paint,otherwise they scream at you on the shelf.

Alec
I used Parts etch for the Sopwith Camel, u can get parts etch from Jadar
http://www.jadarhobby.pl/part-s32030-sopwith-camel-p-13242.html
There´s no set of etch for this machine yet so I had to get the stuff from my stash of etch.

Larsa
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Monday, October 25, 2010 - 09:43 AM UTC
Good news!! I got a copy of this lovely model for well under $50 yesterday!! I am sure it will get cheaper still but I am impatient and my stash is never big enough.

Cheers!!
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, October 25, 2010 - 08:47 PM UTC
Next update is here for you guys. The linen color went on yesterday and the heat from the work lamp helped me to get it dry overnight. So this morning I mixed up my mix off Pc 12. I used Humbrol 86 green and 160 Red/brown, when mixed I added clear varnish 49. I do this to get the colour transparent. Otherwise the green will cover up all the nice spreshading and that’s not the idea.

As I mentioned before I will go for the Russian N5486 machine and here Roden have printed the white roundels under the red star for the lower wing. For the upper wing and fuselage there is no decals for the with and dark green roundels.

So my friend the maskingtape and knives get on the tables again. This time I´ll use my compass cutter for the roundels.A perfect tool for this job.I will use both the roundel and the cutout in the paintjob so I save all the maskings.

For the fuselage Roden wants a 21,5 millimeter and for the top wing 30 millimeter roundel.

Next thing was to waken up the airbrush and mix my own kind off Pc 12(so you nitpickers not can tell my Pc 12 is blueish or whatish ).

Yep, I´ll missed one little piece off maskingtape, so I´ll need to patch her up When masking and unmasking I always check twice for missed strips of tape, guess I´ll get sloopy this time.Patchwork just gives the model more personality, or?
Now the the Triphound´s back under the work lamp and having it warm and comfy so I have my day off. See u next time folks
Larsa
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, October 25, 2010 - 09:51 PM UTC
Looking VERY nice Lars...

Seems an in field repair is in order to disguise the strip of masking? Damn groundcrews and their clumsiness

Maybe hide it with a slightly darker (less faded) patch of new dope?

I think I'm gonna have to risk a severe spank from SWMBO and sneak this one in.

K
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, October 25, 2010 - 10:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking VERY nice Lars...

Seems an in field repair is in order to disguise the strip of masking? Damn groundcrews and their clumsiness

Maybe hide it with a slightly darker (less faded) patch of new dope?

I think I'm gonna have to risk a severe spank from SWMBO and sneak this one in.

K

"Oh thoose russians" and old Boney M frase It´s never wrong to do it some personal

Larsa
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2010 - 06:17 AM UTC
Hi
It´s time for updates again folks. All paint is on and I went for the decals. Roden have printed a very fine quality decal here. It´s almost Cartograf type of decals. They are thin and stick very nice to the surface, no problem at all.
Because I did the Russian scheme I´ll had to use a compass cutter for masking off the roundel for the top wing and for the fuselage. This was no problem to deal with, it just took me two extra nights to fix up.

I borrowed the resin skies from Eduard’s 48-scale kit, and measure them up to 32-scale. The new skies were made from different plasticards. Sadly Roden do not give us the skies, so if you’re in the same idea as me you have to make your own.

So for the moment the Triplane stands on it´s own legs or skies, and the decals is on.

I still haven’t got any big or major problems with this build, it´s just going together by itself, Great work Roden is in its place. Final assembly and riggings comes next week until then, thanks for your comments and see U

Larsa
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2010 - 06:30 AM UTC
Nice Larsa

I particulary like the skies  –they look like fun to do - Oh and I need to get me one of those circle cutter thingies too – they would really be useful!

Best Regards

Mikael
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2010 - 06:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice Larsa

I particulary like the skies  –they look like fun to do - Oh and I need to get me one of those circle cutter thingies too – they would really be useful!

Best Regards

Mikael

I got my cutter from Rebell hobby, check if he still have them.

Larsa
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2010 - 06:53 AM UTC
Still looking mighty fine, I really want one.

Keith
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2010 - 07:51 AM UTC
Hi Lars:

Those skies really look good, good job on them. I like the way this is coming along and your positive comments about the kit. I recently (today) got two of them, so I will be referring to your build here for pointers and methods.
Keep those photos and comments coming.

Best
Mark