Fw190D-9 Duo Review Build
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 07:51 PM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

Well, when there are some pictures in Jerry's book the you can just check if the wire is straight or not. Might be the roll mechanism was disabled or defect on this aircraft. i was just talking about general use.

I will check my books too.

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 08:05 PM UTC
Hi again

I found this very machine in Vol.2 of the Japo books and there was no word about a missing mechanism. The whole sliding hood is missing in the pix, but it is stated that this machine is from the early batches of GFW (Fieseler) and was equipped with the early flat hood. So in my opinion the antenna should be straight....

Have a nice sunday

all the best

Steffen
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 09:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What did you use for masking the fuselage crosses - is that frisket tape or an equivalent? Looks like it allowed you more precision than Tamiya tape would have done. cheers Brad

Hi Brad

I think it's "own brand" B&Q (a UK DIY chain) low-tack masking tape. I bought it years ago and it's useful on jobs like this or on delicate finishes. It's nothing like as flexible as Tamiya tape though, so working around curves is a problem.

@ Jean-Luc - many thanks for the pics. I'm afraid you're right - they don't really add to what I've gleaned from Vol. 1, but I do appreciate you going to trouble of looking for me.

Your Dora looks superb! As regards the aerial, the photo on page 211 (Dora Vol 1) seems to have the canopy intact - the problem is, I can't make out the aerial wire mentioned in the accompanying caption!

Going for a taught aerial is certainly simpler than removing the pulley at this late stage, but the way you've tackled the slack wire will be an inspiration for my own effort!

All the best

Rowan
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 09:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Rowan, here are the only pictures where your fuel tank appears in vol.2 of Jerry Crandall's Dora books...

...see also the Dora article in SAM Vol 27 no.12

some fantastic work going on here
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 10:23 PM UTC
Cheers Neil

I don't have many issues of SAM, but I did just find a couple of extra views in the JaPo book that tie in with Jerry Crandall's. I don't expect my tank will ever satisfy hardened rivet counters, but it'll give a reasonable impression, and make a nice change from the kit's parts.

All the best

Rowan
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 02:58 AM UTC
Hi Rowan,

Quoted Text

[the way you've tackled the slack wire will be an inspiration for my own effort!

It's kind of you to say that but I don't think you need some inspiration to get it right...

I have finished my Dora. Hopefully the aerial wire is now correct for the canopy... Steffen?

I'll keep my final comments for the forthcoming feature...

Jean-Luc
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 03:03 AM UTC
Hey, don't blame the messenger ...

I already wrote I like your model!! and with the JG 4 badge it looks really cool...

all the best

Steffen
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 04:17 AM UTC

yep indeed ...great looking Dora !
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 04:19 AM UTC
That's just excellent

I will say it again, I'm jealous!!

There where only 34 days past and the result Is awesome

I also like Luftwaffe (I am an allies HATER ) (my real passion is Regia Aeronautica )

Cheers Nick

Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 04:24 AM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

Beautiful work, as always!

All the best

Rowan
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 07:56 AM UTC
Hi all,

Pfeeeww! It seems I have past the Steffen Arndt and Neil Page Luftwaffe test successfully...

Jean-Luc
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 10:08 AM UTC

with flying colours !

.. one day maybe I might get to do something half as good as that ..
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 08:29 PM UTC
Well guys, stunning work, both of you. I can't say whose Dora looks better, it's simply not possible.

Congratulation J-L, as always great job. Another inspiring model for the future...
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 - 02:04 AM UTC
I have no choice but to second the opinions already expressed: very impressive work from both of you!

Quoted Text

Hi again

Well, the last decals are on and the spinner has a spiral. I spotted an old Microscale sheet meant for a Ju 87 in my decals stash and found it fitted just about right.

That's quite a coincidence, I too not only happened to mess up with the spinner spiral on my last Dora, but I was building the very aircraft as well!
The only difference is that the Eaglecal decals were for the plane as 'black 1' and I still haven't come across a suitable replacement spiral yet.

On the subject of the peculiar non-standard fuel tank, I'm not quite sure if my memory serves me right, but I think I recall a mention made somewhere of bomb shells used to make drop tanks late in war...?
The shape of that thing reminds me of the AB 250 cluster bomb minus the fins.

Funny how I spotted this one right after that antenna wire issue. No worries, these things just have a tendency of happening, see?

Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 09:42 AM UTC
Hi again

Sorry for the delay - it almost all ended in tears when a book fell onto my workspace. Luckily the Dora only took a side-swipe, and a lot of parts were still only dry-fitted anyway, but it broke the undercarriage. I knew I was rushing things when I fitted it the other day!

Anyway, it's not totally back on its feet, but heading towards completion:

The canopy isn't finished yet - there's still the headrest and grab handles to fit. Because the sliding part was a replacement unit on the real aircraft I've used a bit more artistic licence and painted it in a different green to indicate either fresh paint or evidence of the breakdown in supplies at the war's end.

All being well (and assuming no more accidents!) I might finish this tomorrow...

All the best

Rowan
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 09:52 AM UTC
Hi Rowan,

I'm glad to hear that your Dora escaped the Flak once again! It would have been a shame for such a fantastic model!

Jean-Luc
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 10:17 AM UTC
Cheers Jean-Luc

If nothing else it proved to me that I really MUST make the effort to sort out a proper workroom / study once I've finished this build! I guess a bit of a scare serves as a wake-up call now and again.

All the best

Rowan
alihann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 5 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 11:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi again

Sorry for the delay - it almost all ended in tears when a book fell onto my workspace. Luckily the Dora only took a side-swipe, and a lot of parts were still only dry-fitted anyway, but it broke the undercarriage. I knew I was rushing things when I fitted it the other day!

Anyway, it's not totally back on its feet, but heading towards completion:

The canopy isn't finished yet - there's still the headrest and grab handles to fit. Because the sliding part was a replacement unit on the real aircraft I've used a bit more artistic licence and painted it in a different green to indicate either fresh paint or evidence of the breakdown in supplies at the war's end.

All being well (and assuming no more accidents!) I might finish this tomorrow...

All the best

Rowan

Hi Rowan,

Beautiful looking Dora so far but please don't add the grab handles to the canopy. They didn't exist!
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 12:50 AM UTC
Hi Alastair

Thank you for the kind comment - and thank you again for the heads up! I've just checked my refs and you are absolutely right! The head armour for the blown hood doesn't look quite correct either, but I'll go with it at this late stage.

Luckily, I didn't manage to work on the Dora yesterday, so finishing the canopy is all set to be this afternoon's job - minus the grab handles, of course.

I spotted another mistake this morning when I fitted the pitot tube. The instructions show it attached mid-way down the wing, but the parts are correct with a wing-tip location.

Meanwhile, the postman just delivered an incredible package of samples from Eagle Editions - with Dora decals and the awesome Vol. 2 of Jerry Crandall's book.

All the best

Rowan
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 12:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I spotted another mistake this morning when I fitted the pitot tube. The instructions show it attached mid-way down the wing, but the parts are correct with a wing-tip location.

...so glue it 3/4 way down the wing ;P

Watching your Doras makes me want to take me Dragon's Ta-152c from the shelf. That's dangerous when I think about other models which I have to finish first...
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 01:04 AM UTC
Beautiful build Jean-Luc ! Excellent finish with the weathering I really like how you did the worn look and chipping at the wing root .

Rowan , sorry to here about the book falling on to your bench , but glad to here that there was very little damage and you are still in the game
I'm looking foraward to seeing the final results of your labour , it has turn out to be outstanding so far
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 08:13 AM UTC
Cheers everyone

Well, I think I can just about declare my Dora finished too:

I haven't fitted the home-made drop tank yet, but that's not actually part of the kit as such, so I don't think it's really cheating too much.

I'll take some proper pics in due course (and inevitably tinker some more), but that's basically it. Thank you all for your interest and encouragement - and thank you especially to Jan at Eduard for making this dual-build possible.

All the best

Rowan
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 08:49 AM UTC
Hi Rowan,

Fantastic!

I still hope you will fit the drop tank...

Jean-Luc
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 08:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Rowan,

Fantastic!

I still hope you will fit the drop tank...

Jean-Luc

Hi Jean-Luc

Many thanks. Trying to keep up with you (and, obviously, I failed! ) has clearly been good for me - and I'm just chuffed I didn't let you down after you arranged this build.

Don't worry - I will fit the tank. I just tried to rush it too much. The acrylic aerosol primer I used flooded the panel lines I'd scribed and dried unevenly, so I need to go back a step or two.

All the best

Rowan
gcn123
KitMaker: 69 posts
AeroScale: 60 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 10:44 PM UTC
Two very nice models expertly finished, congratulations to both.

I also think the dual build thread has worked incredibly well especially with you going down slightly different routes.

It also didn't appear from the thread that any fit issues were as tough to overcome as their earlier suite of FW190's either so thats a positive.