_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
NEWS
1:48 Hobby Boss Hellcats on the way
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, August 10, 2009 - 11:26 PM UTC

The new 1/48 scale Hellcat kits from Hobby Boss should hit the shelves soon. The first will be probably the F6F-3 for which the packaging is already complete. Next should be the F6F-5.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Monday, August 10, 2009 - 11:59 PM UTC
Hmm, still kind of CopyBoss ... at first glance the boxes look like Tamiya.

Curious how they compare to the kits on the market ...

cheers

Steffen
PanzerMike
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hamilton, New Zealand
KitMaker: 298 posts
AeroScale: 120 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 03:09 PM UTC
Very excited Im a bit of an early Hellcat fiend and ive been waiting for this one.As for the Tamiya comment - ive just started Hobby Bosses early Wildcat and Tamiya could learn a thing or two from that kit. Cant wait to build this baby with its wings folded.
TuomasH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Turku ja Pori, Finland
KitMaker: 470 posts
AeroScale: 279 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 08:41 PM UTC
Still waiting for FAA Hellcat Mk. I..
PanzerMike
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hamilton, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 08:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Still waiting for FAA Hellcat Mk. I..

Buy the Eduard twin pack or the Hasegawa special boxing and a new cowl.Or the Aeromaster sheet - US aircraft in British service.They also make several sheets with Pacific or ETO Hellcats and Corsairs, most might be out of production - i have a few in the stash.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 09:25 AM UTC
Hi there

Creative Models - Hobby Boss's UK distributor are expecting the F6F-3 Early Version at the end of this month.

All the best

Rowan
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Friday, October 09, 2009 - 05:15 AM UTC
I've startet to build the kit about 2 weeks ago and I must say that the fitting of the parts couldn't be better! But .... ehm .... where are the machine guns? HB simply forgot them! Okay, Evergreen Profiles will help me out. And rockets on an early F6F-3? Well, I don't think so, but maybe I'm wrong? And with the painting instructions HB made also a big mistake. On the VF-27 model the upper wings are painted in Intermediate Blue and on the VF-9 model the underside is painted in White instead of FS 36440 Light Grey. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I will build the Hellcat in its early colours Blue Grey FS 36118 and Light Grey FS 36440 with folded wings, together with the F6F-3 of Eduard.

Torsten
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Friday, October 09, 2009 - 07:04 AM UTC
Hi Torsten,

I've just ordered the kit at Lucky Models. But I don't think I will build it soon. It would be nice from you to do a build review for Aeroscale...

Jean-Luc
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, October 09, 2009 - 09:22 AM UTC
Hi Torsten

I'll go along with that - it'd be great if you could write a build report for us. It's showing as a new UK arrival at Creative Models, and the price is certainly very competitive at £13.99.

All the best

Rowan

BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 10:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

.... It would be nice from you to do a build review for Aeroscale...

Jean-Luc

Oh .... well ....ehm .... yes, I could do that, but please remember I'm just an average builder who builds always oob with no extras and no weathering. Just give me some time to prepare the pictures. Later this day first I can present you the contents of the box here with some of the mistakes ....

Torsten
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 11:19 PM UTC
Hi Torsten

believe me, most people build like you do! To bad you did not do a few shots of the sprues. i would really like to see how the kit is (though I honestly do not need more Hellcats) ... but an oob wing fold sounds interesting even thought it also sounds "bad fit, shaky assembly" -- typical "chicom" plastik kit.

CU next week

all the best

Steffen
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 01:20 AM UTC
Hi again Torsten

Steffen is absolutely right - an "average" modeller's take is just what we need. It's all very well for master modellers to make a silk purse out of the crudest sow's ear, but the rest of us just have to do the best we can. A "no extras" approach will be ideal, because readers want to know what's in the standard kit, and judge for themselves what they might want to add.

All the best

Rowan
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 05:16 AM UTC
Steffen, who told you that I didn't make any photos of the sprues And don't think so negative abot the folded wings, they fit very good in my opinion.
Oh, before I start and forget other things - Jean-Luc, if possible please bring your Ki-45 to Merchweiler. That would make 3 in one place Poor B-29 .... (if there is any)

Okay, but now let's see, what Hobbyboss has in the box for us. First we have here sprue A with fuselage and cockpit parts ....

.... a closer look on the left fuselage half. There are not as many rivets on fuselage and wings as on the Edu kit .....

.... some cockpit parts .....

..... sprue B with the wing parts. The 6 holes on each underside are for the rockets, but I don't think there were rockets on early Hellcats, so I closed them with glue and flour ....

.... a closer look to an upper wing .....

.... sprue D with the interesting parts for folded or unfolded wings ....

.... the underside of the fuselage with the wheel wells. Here I have also closed the unnecessary holes for the bomb racks as my Hellcat gets only the drop tank ....

.... here you have to decide how you want your wings. Parts 5 and 10 are for folded, parts 6 and 9 for unfolded wings .....

.... sprue E with parts for gear, engine, prop, drop tank and the not need stuff .....

.... sprue F with the intrument panel and exhaust pipes plus the cowling ....

.... sprues H and J with all clear parts which look fine and are packed in an extra bag ....

.... let's have a short look on the building intructions. At step 4 you can see the differences for the 2 ways of the wings ....

.... now we come to the important things - the decals! There are 2 versions and the decals are well printed, thin and glossy. Decals 45-49 are the "tapestry" for the cockpit which is a good idea on one side, but as they are glossy it makes it not so funny .....

.... the painting intructions are a bit tricky if you just follow them. Version 1 is an aircraft of VF-27. To me it seems as if there are no other nose arts than this angry "what ever it is". Why does everybody has these decals in the standard box (also Hase and Edu)? And can anyone tell me why HB think the upper wing colour is Intermediate Blue? Well .... if they like it that way ....

.... the 2. version is more interesting for me in its early twotone scheme of VF-9. But here comes another mistake by HB as they simply paint the underside white .... When I paint my Helli it will get Blue Grey FS 36118 on the upperside and Light Grey FS 36440 on the underside. I think that looks better ....

If you compare this kit with Edu and Hase you will also find light and shade here. No doubt, the folded wings are a big advantage to the other kits. For me the biggest mistake are the machine guns, which are completly missing. The Hobbybosses must have had a very deep sleep here But fortunatly Evergreen Profiles can help us out. The price of 16 Euros here is also no argument to buy the kit, as Edu sells its Weekend kit for just 1,50 Euro more. I think this kit is no real competitor for Edu (this is just my own private opinion!). I know this doesn't sound nice to the ears of the chinese guys, but when I look on these great Wildcat kits from the same manufacturer, I can only say that.

Finally, if you prefere a german version of all this, I can recommend my "Bausatzvorstellung" at the Flugzeuforum. It's a bit more detailed as my german is a little better than my english ....

http://www.flugzeugforum.de/forum/showthread.php?t=56495

Cheers
Torsten
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 05:51 AM UTC
Vielen Dank Torsten

Ich hätte mir das Teil heute fast bei Lucky Model bestellt .. naja vielleicht bekomme ich noch ein Muster, wenn nicht ist es auch egal... J-L bitte bringe nicht die Ki45 mit, die hattest du schon letztes mal dabei .. lieber die Hs 126 und natürlich die Nachtjäger .. vielleicht bringe ich noch meine Ju 88C-4 mit ...

many thanks for posting the pictures here too!!! I do not visist FF so I did not see them before. I'll keep my remarks English so the others can understand these too.

I think I like the kit. wheel well looks much (!!) better than in the other kits. the panel lines on the wings have to be checked IIRC Eduard provided different wings for the F6F-3 and -5 (not sure though). i prefer the Eduard surface. the cockpit looks better on the HB kit though. they also have included the armoured glass that Eetu missed so much on the Eduard kit. Separate flaps are not necessary in my opinion, and I think elevators and rudder would have been better. All in all a nice package for 16 €

all the best

Steffen
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 06:09 AM UTC
Hi Torsten,

Excellent! Would you mind if I compile what you wrote in this thread into a proper review for our database?

From the pictures, I too think it's not a bad kit. I'll see when I get it.

Jean-Luc

P.S. I didn't wanted to bring the Ki-45 for the reason Steffen mentionned. I believe you already saw it... or not? I don't want to bring the Hs 126 neither by the way... too many bad memories...
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 06:20 AM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

fully understand your sentiment ..

BTW I just spotted another (possible) problem: The belly tank shape is too less tear drop and too much elliptical IMO (might be a distorsion of the picture)

all the best

Steffen
PanzerMike
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hamilton, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 - 11:11 AM UTC
Looks good so far , im no rivet counter if it looks like a Cat ill build it The rockets must be for an future F6F5 kit. As stated above the 5 had a slightly different wing than the 3 to cope with the rockets etc. I will buy one of these for sure just for the wing fold but i am also converting a Hasegawa 5 to a post war drone using Alley Cats decal sheet. They make for a colorful kitty that for sure.
Stolen_moments
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 - 02:14 PM UTC
WHER ARE THE MACHINE GUNS? DID YOU FORGET SOMETHING?
PanzerMike
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hamilton, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 - 07:01 PM UTC
no need to yell there buddy , yes that is an oversight on their part but at least the ejection ports are there. You can just drill the holes for the guns and use some tubing and they will look fine.
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 - 08:42 AM UTC
Well folks, please don't misunderstand me. I also think, after all this kit will turn out into a nice looking Hellcat when finished. Especially with these folded wings. But what really annoys me are the missing machine guns and holes where there's no need. I don't care if the kit is too short here or too thick there, I go with Mike, if it looks like a Hellcat, I build it.

@Jean-Luc
Yes, of course you can use my report for a review. Do you need also some photos without frame? We can talk about that on Sunday, okay?

If it's okay, I'll start my building report in the next days. After working on the Hobbyboss kit in the last 2 weeks, this week is Eduard time. So my report will take some time .....

Torsten
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2009 - 05:39 AM UTC
As I mentioned earlier, I started building this kit before I was asked to make a build review. So I can only show you 2 Pictures of the main parts already glued together how they looked last weekend.

Here we have the fuselage, cowling and engine .....

.... and here both wings prepared for folded position and the underside of the fuselage. You can see, that I closed the not needed holes in the fuselage.

The fitting of the parts is very good so far (I hope it stays that way ). As I said I also work on the F6F-3 from Eduard (a Dual Combo so to say), so the building will take its time. Please be patient. I will bring you more picture in the next few days.

Ciao
Torsten
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 04:43 AM UTC
So folks, somemore parts have been added to my Hellcat. But first let's have a look on the canopy.

I used Kip Tape and cut the masks on the canopy parts with a sharp knife, as Eduard probably doesn't offer masks for this kit yet.

Okay, this view is quite nice, isn't it?

The folded wings are just stick in and fit so well that I probably will leave them this way when the plane is finshed. But the canopy doesn't fit all all (it's too wide to fit to the fuselage) and is broken now. I have to see how it looks like when the paint job is done .....

Paint me! Paint me!

Next photos soon.
Torsten
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 05:01 AM UTC
Hi Torsten

vielleicht solltest du einen eigenen Baubericht-Diskussionsfaden anfangen (BLOG). Sieht jedenfalls schon ganz gut aus.

Irgendwie stimmt der Winkel der Flügel nicht. dies sind zwar schlechte (kleine) Bilder, aber ich glaube man sieht das Problem (nach meiner Meinung zeigen die Flügel zu weit nach oben) .. andererseits isses vielleicht auch ne optische Täuschung, mal abwarten, wie sie auf ihrem Fahrwerk steht :

hab auf die Schnelle nix besseres gefunden .. hier ist noch eins

noch was .. mir ist schon klar, dass du den Rahmen als eine Art Kopierschutz verwendest, aber könntest du bitte eine weniger aggressive/ekelige Farbe nehmen .. kaputte Augen kann ich nicht gebrauchen

viele Grüße

Steffen
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 08:13 AM UTC
Hi Steffen,
yes, you might be right with the angle of the folded wings. I also think they show too much upwards, "straight to the sky". But that's the way Hobbyboss made the kit and I will build it that way. And many people who see this bird on expos don't know about that, they just see a nice built Hellcat ..... I again noticed that yesterday in Bühl.
To start an extra "How-I-build-my-Hellcat" report, it's too late, as I already started to build this kit before I was asked to show pictures of it. But later I will send Jean-Luc some photos for the files. Better luck next time .....
Concerning about the frame color of my pictures, what colour would you like to save your eyesight? This is a kind of pastell yellow (okay some frames are a bit greenish) which is okay for my eyes Btw, my favourite colour is green.
I like that b/w photo in your post! I can really hear that great P&W sound and smell the kerosin!

Ciao
Torsten
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 08:38 AM UTC
Hi Torsten

o.k. I understand you build oob, but I just wanted to bring that point up .. maybe i am wrong though.

As for the frame .. I am not a big fan of it as such. I cannot rule out it is my monitor but somehow that green-blue contrast hurts ... otoh my fav. color is blue ... in geneeral I'd prefer a water mark over such a frame, but suum cuique It is good you post your progress as I have not seen anything on this kit yet...

all the best

Steffen
P.S. @ all: sorry for the German post above but I originally wanted it to focus on the Blog/frame topic ...
 _GOTOTOP