_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
NEWS
1:48 Hobby Boss Hellcats on the way
Orangebarrelman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 71 posts
AeroScale: 13 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 31, 2009 - 08:52 AM UTC
I have a question about the wingfold.

Could it possibly be a mistake in the instructions and they have the bits for left and right mixed up? I have done that on a few builds and messed up alignments. Wouldn't be the first time an instruction sheet had a mistake on it

Nice looking so far.

Matt
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 31, 2009 - 09:21 AM UTC
Hi Matt

Looking at the sprues i doubt that. And again I think we shoul dwait how it stands on its wheels before we bash it. When I saw the sprue shot from Torsten I was pretty positive about the kit, but seeing it in person was a bit of a cooler ... maybe it was the green frame that distracted me.

As J-L already has his kit I think we will see a full review soon (I 'll also get mine soon and will try to reverse the wingfold, but I do not think that is possible)

all the best

Steffen
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 09:07 AM UTC
I did some more painting on the Hellcat.

This is how the kit looked on Saturday afternoon. I used Pritt Multi Fix for the "waves" and Kip Tape to cover the parts which I don't want to paint.

After I painted the whole thing (incl. upper wings of course) this morning it looked pretty much the way I wanted ....

.... after taking away all of the tapes it really looked the way I wanted it to look !!!!

More photos soooooon ....
Torsten
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 09:18 AM UTC
Hello Torsten

looks really good!!!!

I like the new border, but you do not have to change it just for me .... my credo is that everyone should do what pleases him/her.

Keep on modelling and posting! I am looking forward to the fotos when the bird stands on its wheels to see if the iompression of the wing is good or not.

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2009 - 05:45 AM UTC
Hi all
Today I took a few pictures. (still need to write the review) The kit has some nice features and ideas but all in all it is pretty .. well, crap.

The fuselage is very different to the Hasegawa and eduard kit. You have to look really carful at the pictures to see it but with the kit in hand it is glaring. cockpit opening + clear parts look 1/32. fuselage to fin transistion. ..... (besides what has been written here already)

See here for my pix (also comparison with eduard and Hasegawa): HB Hellcat

Marc suggested to craft a Hasegawa fuselage to the HB wingfold

all the best

Steffen
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2009 - 07:19 AM UTC
Hi Steffen

Many thanks for the comparison pics. With enough Hellcats to last me many years already in my stash, I haven't been tempted to run straight out and buy the HobbyBoss version - and seeing these pics I can't say I regret it too much.

All the best

Rowan
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2009 - 08:57 AM UTC
Thanks Steffen for your pictures, compared with Hase and Edu. Your opinion about this kit is close to mine and this will be my only HB-Hellcat. I still have 4 Hase and Edu-Hellcats each on the pile and if I need some more (which is definitively the case ) I would buy Eduard Weekenders.
I've done some more work on my Hellcat this week and will show the pictures this weekend.

Ciao
Torsten
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2009 - 06:29 PM UTC
Hi Steffen,

Thanks for the comparison pics...

I wanted to do something similar but didn't had the time. Maybe next week. I too came to the conclusion that the kit's should be considered, provided it works, more a wing fold conversion set than anything else...

I wanted to buy the F6F-5 as well, but I will definitely not! This kit is in the same league as the Re.2002 from Italeri.

Jean-Luc
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2009 - 08:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

.... This kit is in the same league as the Re.2002 from Italeri.

Good morning jean-Luc

maybe, but how many good plastic kits of the Re2002 do you have? ... CopyBoss shouldn't have used Trumpeters 1/32 Hellcat as starting point ..

all the best

Steffen
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Saturday, November 07, 2009 - 04:20 AM UTC
Hello everyone,
this week I did some final works on the Hellcat before decaling and some very little painting. And here are the lastest photos:

.... stand on your own feet ..... ehm .... wheels, kitty!

.... another view

.... making machine guns ....

.... I think they look quite good, compared to the original (photo from Osprey's Hellcat Aces). Sorry for the light, but I took the photo yesterday evening under my workbench lamp

.... some photos I made this morning ....

.... special photo for Steffen ....

.... so, I think the cat is ready for "Erdal Bodenglänzer" (yes, I don't use Future!) which will be tomorrow and next week come the decals. Hope to finish this kit before my holidays .....

Ciao
Torsten
 _GOTOTOP