Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
La Marseillaise Campaign
Removed by original poster on 08/30/09 - 19:27:59 (GMT).
Mobious
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 210 posts
AeroScale: 80 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2009 - 08:44 AM UTC
Sorry about that, I'll try this a different way.
DSC_0148" BORDER="0">
DSC_0147" BORDER="0">
DSC_0146" BORDER="0">
DSC_0145" BORDER="0">
This is the Eduard 1/48 Hanriot HD 1 WEED, built OOB, with the exception of adding the monofilament rigging thru the wing. Painted and weathered with Vallejo acrylics. Depicted is a crate from the Italian Squadriglia 85, Albania, Late 1918. It was an easy kit with virtually no issues. I originally had hoped to complete the SH 1/48 SPAD VII for this campaign, but due to a serious upper wing warp issue, that kit was retired early. Hope this will be considered an adequate replacement, as my GB agenda is still growing faster that I can finish. Thanks for viewing.
Mo
Wasn't sure how to post them under the Campaign folder, and had trouble using the Kitmaker http.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2009 - 07:17 PM UTC
Hi Mobious,

Excellent work on the Henriot! Too bad the markings are Italian... but nobody's perfect...

Do you have more (and bigger) pictures of your model? I could do a photo feature of it for the front page...

Jean-Luc
GaryKato
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
AeroScale: 163 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2009 - 10:13 PM UTC
Click on the "Photos" tab at the top of the Aeroscale page. This should take you to the Kitmaker Gallery Main Index page. Click on Aeroscale. Now click on Aeroscale Campaigns. Then click on 2009 Aeroscale Campaigns. Click on La Marseillaise. In the menu bar at the top on the right side, click on Upload Photos and you should now be at the page where you can choose a photo to upload.
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 12:58 PM UTC
Well this one is almost done. All I need to do is touch up a few places here and there, add the prop, and paint the windscreen. This one has turned out to be more than I could handle. The paint scheme alone is driving me nuts.

Should have her finished up by the weekend. I'll be glad to get this one done. I can't honestly say that this was one of the most fun planes I've built. A great kit with good fit and awsome decals.....but waaaaay more complicated than I had anticipated. No wonder this one has been sitting on my shelf for 5 years.

Hermon
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 08:45 PM UTC
Hermon I have experienced those stripes myself, enough to drive the sanest modeller crazy ! On the other hand, you really got an eyecatcher there, even without the stripes French WWII camo looks good!

I will be here in a month or so. With something that is just blue and silver, easy enough!

Magnus
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 09:01 PM UTC
I've been slacking but here is the result of last night. Some decals on. Landing gear and wheel hubs.
Sprayed the rudder white. Coats of red and blue to follow. I must remember which colour goes to the rudder post!
TODO Canopy to mask and spray, coat of future then panel line wash. Exhausts to paint Dull coat then dust and chipping.
legloan d.520 #277 Syria
Wolfpack
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 78 posts
AeroScale: 43 posts
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2009 - 09:03 PM UTC
I didn't think I'd finish more than one for this build, but I saw this on e-bay and had to have it. Look at those markings!

Anyway, It's the Revell kit, boxed by Hasegawa and it's a real pile if poo! No rivets down the wing roots, nose is the wrong shape, cockpits rubbish as is the jet pipe. Revell also supply the wrong drop tank and a couple of Super 530 missiles????? Oh yes, the underneath of the wing is scribed, the rest raised panel lines.

So, the nose was removed and replaced by an Airfix item as was the jet pipe. A correct drop tank was found in my spares box and a Neomega pit was added. This doesn't fit either. The instrument panel is too tall and forces the front coamng to stand proud. I had to remove the lower instruments before the two parts meshed properly and fitted into the cockpit.

The rivtes were drilled with two different size drills and then coated in Mr Surfacer 1500 to soften the drilled look. Some worked some didn't.

The transfers were by Cartograph and were too thick to go over the multiple contours of the fin without cracking. Managed to rescue them though. In spite of the high gloss surface, some silvering was evident. I hope I got rid of most of it.

Moral of the story. Don't buy a Revell/Monogram/Esci/Italeri kit. It's all one and the same and a waste of rescouces. Come on Airfix/Heller, lets have your 2000C and B kits back on the market.
And now the photos.

Box

Now where's me Phantom?

IAN
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 01:34 AM UTC
Salut, les mecs!

Well, it looks as if I will be able to join after all! I managed to get hold of an ol' Airfix (MPC) Dassault Super Mystère B.2 for a reasonable price (you would not believe that some dealers try to get USD 49.99 for this kit on the net!). I paid less than USD 15 for it. The only aftermarket stuff that I'll use is a resin seat (same as F-105) and decals from IsraDecal. I haven't yet decided upon which scheme to apply. Since this is a French campaign, I might go for the initial Israeli NMF scheme with red flashes and "ne pas marcher" on the flaps!

This aircraft is super cool! First, I have a lot of rescribing to do...

Cheers! // PolarBear
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 01:05 PM UTC
Here is my finished kit. Can't really say I enjoyed it much. The camo scheme was something I'm not used to. The kit itself was actually great. The down side of it was the tiny resin parts, most of which broke or dissapeared. Anyway, here she is.

Hermon
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 09:16 PM UTC
Björn! If you grow tired of that SMB2 I am prepared to take over it! I would do a French one in camo! Or an Israeli in camo, since you have both an NMF and a sand-and-spinach Mirage you could fill the blue-and-green gap with an SMB2!. For incredibly accurate paint mixes, check out this magnificent build!

Hermon! Since I can't see any missing bits and pieces, just a very good looking "French Stuka", those resin parts were probably of no use anyway. Good work, I like it a lot!

With one day less than a month until deadline, I am entering the dogfight as well!

As you can see, I've been working on this one for a few weeks already. Paint scheme will be air defence blue/silver with supersonic tanks and a Matra R530 on the centerline station.

Build blog can be found here!

See you soon!

Magnus
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 09:20 PM UTC
i am still struggling with the rafale.

Not that there is anything wrong with the model, i am just very short on time lately

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 09:46 PM UTC
Hi All

Ian: Nice Mirage!! have to do one myself .. one day

Hermon: very nice model of an ugly aircraft!

Magnus: I know you can make it and ditto for drabslab!

Björn: ... you make me shudder ... not because of your model, but because I have to think of the F.M. kit I have in the stash ... and AFAIK this was one of their better trys

Still waiting for the replacement dash .... I thought the campaign would end yesterday, but with a month left I maybe still make it if ( IF !!!) that part will arrive over the next one or two weeks ....

all the best

Steffen
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 11:48 PM UTC
Hi Hermon,

Very nice result on the L.N. 401.

can you shoot more pictures for a photo feature? Or even write some text to do a full build article? It would be great...

Jean-Luc
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 - 01:09 AM UTC
Hi there

Ooops! In all the choas of the last few months I'd totally forgotten I was enlisted in the Campaign!

OK - with a new workbench etc. set up, it's time to go a bit crazy! I've grabbed the first French aircraft I could spot in my mountain of packing cases, and so this is my entry:

Wish me luck! This really will be a speed-build for me. I'll put other projects on the back-burner, but still - if I manage to finish by the deadline I think I'll change my name to Jean-Luc!

All the best

Rowan
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 - 07:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi All,

Some very nice stuff here! Vance, the camo looks good, no worries. It will look even better with the roundels and markings.

Quoted Text

(sorry TedMamere!)

What!

See you in the Italian thread then...

Jean-Luc

My turn to say, "What?" - I haven't posted any photos of my build yet (my 501 is starting to progress now, thankfully)... ???

this has all become very confusing.

vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 - 07:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi there

Ooops! In all the choas of the last few months I'd totally forgotten I was enlisted in the Campaign!

Wish me luck! This really will be a speed-build for me. I'll put other projects on the back-burner, but still - if I manage to finish by the deadline I think I'll change my name to Jean-Luc!

that's ok, your campaign leader might need more time too. I smell an extension over the horizon.
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 - 07:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Here is my finished kit. Can't really say I enjoyed it much. The camo scheme was something I'm not used to. The kit itself was actually great. The down side of it was the tiny resin parts, most of which broke or dissapeared. Anyway, here she is.

well, for all your qualifiers, the end result looks excellent.

and it is precisely such difficulties that stretch and then ultimately improve our skills.

well done, Hermon!
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 - 08:09 AM UTC
Hi Vance,

Quoted Text

[My turn to say, "What?" - I haven't posted any photos of my build yet (my 501 is starting to progress now, thankfully)... ???

this has all become very confusing.

Sorry, I meant Hermon... But I'm looking forward to see your D.501 Vance...

Jean-Luc
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 - 08:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

that's ok, your campaign leader might need more time too. I smell an extension over the horizon.

Cheers Vance

I'll try to shock everyone by not only actually finishing something for once, but doing it in double-quick time!

Hermon - I agree with the others. Your build is a stunner! You should feel really proud of the finished result!

I made a start this afternoon, cleaning up the resin parts (and breaking one of them in the process ). The sidewalls were warped like bananas, vertically, so they only touched the floor in the middle and the cockpit sills at each end. But repeated dips in almost boiling water and gentle pressure straightened them pretty well.

I'll try to get the basic cockpit colours on tomorrow and start work on the airframe.

All the best

Rowan
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 - 07:38 PM UTC
A really interesting last-minute frenzy of activity around here ! I'm sure you'll make it Rowan, that is by the way one of the Azur kits I missed out on when it was available in 1/72 .

Build blog is here!

Magnus
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 - 08:01 PM UTC
Cheers Magnus

Good progress on the Mirage! I must say, your recent builds are tempting me more than ever to try one of High Planes' 1:48 racers!

All the best

Rowan
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 - 10:32 PM UTC
Hi again

The first job for today is to thin the trailing edges of the wings quite a bit - as moulded they'd be several scale inches thick:

The basic airframe all seems to line up quite neatly and should be reasonably straightforward; getting the beast to sit on its floats properly could be another matter entirely! The way Azur depict fitting them looks a recipe for disaster I think a simple jig will be needed, but that's a way off yet...

All the best

Rowan
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 - 10:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The first job for today is to thin the trailing edges of the wings quite a bit - as moulded they'd be several scale inches thick:

wow, i think that is the most systematically straight and neat trailing edge sanding line i could possibly imagine...
Removed by original poster on 10/13/09 - 10:09:07 (GMT).