Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
La Marseillaise Campaign
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 - 09:30 AM UTC
Speaking of Rafale's

i remember seeing intakes (air ducts) announced somewhere .. but I do not remember who wanted to do some? both the Revell and the HB copy lacking them..... I also intended to enter a Rafale (but it does not look very good at the moment .. just too many projects and the deadline is near)

all the best

Steffen
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 - 09:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Speaking of Rafale's

i remember seeing intakes (air ducts) announced somewhere .. but I do not remember who wanted to do some? both the Revell and the HB copy lacking them..... I also intended to enter a Rafale (but it does not look very good at the moment .. just too many projects and the deadline is near)

all the best

Steffen

Hai Steffen,

I am in two campaigns right now; the rafale for the Marseillaise is doing fine, but the Airedale Navy seahawk on the other hand... and yes, the end is near

And for the Rafale I would like to try to make a feature in the style of the Gripen feature (but then something different) which adds to even higher stress of course

By the way, I am building the Revell 1/48 Rafale and can recommend it. The kit gives a very good answer to the current ranting (I have seen at least 3 threads this week on it) on high kit retail prices.

For 20 euro you get a very well designed kit, with crisp detail....

Revell compensates the cost for this high detail by "not including" a number of parts which are less or not visible. If you don't take this into account then you end up with a "see-through" model but some leftover plastic you can fix a lot and that is exactly what I tried to do
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 - 10:10 AM UTC
Hi

Well I have already build a Revell Rafale B kit (old issue with Model Alliance decals)

I also have a build thread somewhere here. i built my own chaff/flare dispensers and changed the Mica missiles.

Last year I got a test shot of the new issue (which already has the chaff flare dispensers) and i bought me a Wolfpack set to correct the radome and wing tip pylons, Again I have Model Alliance decals (bought the Air Wars Afghanistan 2003-07 sheet, which includes markings for my Tornado, Harrier Gr.7/9 and the Rafale )

so I know what I am doing .. more or less

cheers

Steffen
P.S. I am in several campaigns and all are ending September/November .. hope to finish Night Stalkers soon and then it will be a hard battle for Stripes. I will finally get instructions and decals for my Raptor, so this will jump on the todo stack (with Wolfpack pit and "nozzles"/ thrust vector shields)
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 - 10:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi

Well I have already build a Revell Rafale B kit (old issue with Model Alliance decals)

I also have a build thread somewhere here. i built my own chaff/flare dispensers and changed the Mica missiles.

Last year I got a test shot of the new issue (which already has the chaff flare dispensers) and i bought me a Wolfpack set to correct the radome and wing tip pylons, Again I have Model Alliance decals (bought the Air Wars Afghanistan 2003-07 sheet, which includes markings for my Tornado, Harrier Gr.7/9 and the Rafale )

so I know what I am doing .. more or less

cheers

Steffen
P.S. I am in several campaigns and all are ending September/November .. hope to finish Night Stalkers soon and then it will be a hard battle for Stripes. I will finally get instructions and decals for my Raptor, so this will jump on the todo stack (with Wolfpack pit and "nozzles"/ thrust vector shields)

Quite busy, ain't you

Its not any better on my side, i got a stack of planes until at least end 2011 among which a mig 21, a ch53, a ch46, an mh60g, a mohawk... and that for someone who promised never to build up any stack

but it is real fun and that's all what counts
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 - 10:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

[Quite busy, ain't you

Its not any better on my side, i got a stack of planes until at least end 2011 among which a mig 21, a ch53, a ch46, an mh60g, a mohawk... and that for someone who promised never to build up any stack

but it is real fun and that's all what counts

Yep .. I am quite motivated at the moment. ...

My stack will last for about 20 years at the actual speed .. so I will never build all of them . but it is like advertizing: 50% of the budget is wasted .. sadly you do not know which 50% ...

Go(o)d speed with your projects!

cheers

Steffen
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2009 - 01:07 PM UTC
Well I've started my entry tonight. It's the Special Hobby Loire-Nieuport LN-40/401 in 1/48 scale as usual. This will be my first French aircraft and I'm having a bit of trouble sorting out the right colors. This kit has loads of resin including the cockpit tub, wheel wells, etc. Anyway, here is a pic of the boxart and a pic of just how much resin is included. I'll try and post some update pics as I progress.

Hermon
lawlzw
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 120 posts
AeroScale: 26 posts
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2009 - 03:15 AM UTC
Seems everybody has been busy! ;-)

Here is my entry, Italeri's Rafale M

Its a simple kit.... I build it OOTB, and finished it in Gunze's Dark Ghost Gray (FS36320). I also used the decals provided in the kit (only markings for M01, which is actually a trial version).

Comments Welcomed!
TuomasH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Turku ja Pori, Finland
KitMaker: 470 posts
AeroScale: 279 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2009 - 04:45 AM UTC
Here is my entry, Morane Saulnier MS. 406 of Finnish Airforce 2/ LeLv 28. It was flown by top Morane scorer in FAF, sSgt U. Lehtovaara, total score with Morane being 15.

The kit was made by AZ-models, and wasn't easy to build. Cockpit resin frame was horrible and I managed to break it so bad I had to build new frame from styrene.

Model was painted with brush and Lifecolor acrylics, washes with MIG products, filters with oils and pigments with MIG pigments.

Things I am not happy with:
- At somepoint I lost the PE sight
- Tamiya tape leaked at the wing edges (I guess it wasnt placed well enough :/ )
- Forgot to paint pilot seats back and walls of cockpit (I blame the damn cockpit frame for this!)
- Plane is doing wheeling (ie. the tires are not touching the ground properly)
- Instructions don't tell you to put PE rings in exhaust exits, so I forgot those
- I forgot the exact mix for the green, so I made wrong shade when I had to cover some spots
- Canopy didn't fit, you can see the sun coming throught at some points.

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2009 - 07:36 AM UTC
Hi Tuomas .. very nice build .. despite your problems

I have ona half finished too .. still looking for some nice French ace markings...

@Campaign Chiefs: I try to focus on some older projects rather than starting new ones and I found this in the stash:

I started this once for the Malvinas campaign but as you can see I did not process much more than test fitting some parts of the NeOmega pit .. I will build it anyway, but would this count for this campaign?

all the best

Steffen
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2009 - 09:42 AM UTC
Hi Tuomas.

Don't be so hard on yourself. Models do not always go to plan.

I am sure your plane is accurate for at least part of its life as the sight would have had to be removed to service it at some time.

As for the colour differences, you will find that as planes weather their colours change anyway.

Don't know how you get around the wheels being off the ground though. I think you mean that the flat spot on one of them is not on the ground?

Still looks good Sir!

Keep going everyone!!
TuomasH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Turku ja Pori, Finland
KitMaker: 470 posts
AeroScale: 279 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2009 - 09:31 PM UTC
Thank you Steffen and Warren for your kind words. Where is our campaign gallery? I tried to look for it but it feels like never ending maze.
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2009 - 11:29 PM UTC
http://gallery.kitmaker.net/showgallery.php/cat/23304
Her you go Tuomas. We can be our greatest critics. The colour isn't so bad.
Sometimes a build is just something you need to get finished to get
on to thwe next one. I would class my se5a in that category.

I would say go for it Steffen all you've done is a bit of clean up and test fitting
and that is an interesting subject.
Perhaps this evening I will get peace to do some modelling.
I've been saying that for weeks though.
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, August 16, 2009 - 11:11 AM UTC
Tuomas, your MS. 406 is great. I'd be happy with that in my collection. From the pictures no one would ever know of the mistakes.

Here is a progress shot of my dive bomber. I have applied the yellow to the nose and tail and will apply the red strips as soon as I get the right shade of paint figured out.

The resin exhausts were supposed to be glue on before the fuselage halfs were glued together. I forgot that step which meant I had to cut each stack off the resin base and glue them in individually wich was a real pain in the neck.
As soon as my French color paints arrive in the mail I'll get back to work on this one.

Hermon
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 - 11:52 AM UTC
Nice hermon. The Vichy is perhaps not France's finest moment but
you can see the attraction of the markings. Those exhausts mustve been hell.

At last I got a few hours modelling this evening.
Works done decaling of the D.520 and wings put on the wyvern.
Messed up the large tricolore rudder marking. I can never get those right.
So I'll mask and spray that tomorrow while my beloved is at the U2 concert.

Yes I'm boring stay at home but even though I'm Irish I never "got" U2 why listen
to U2 when it could be the clash or the stiff little fingers.

I digress, I seem to have missed some photos of the d.520 with paint on. How remiss!
I shall rectify this tomorrow.

Stay classy.

vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2009 - 08:09 AM UTC
excellent progress everyone!

sorry i have been sort of a campaign leader in absentia - work has been killing me.

On top of that, I am taking a vacation for 3 weeks starting in 36 hours. But i am am sure the campaign will manage without me.

till i return, have fun!
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2009 - 12:23 PM UTC
Another progress shot. As you can see in the photo, I am not very good at replicating French camo patterns but I'm happy with my first attempt. This is a very hard paint scheme to do, probably the hardest I've ever done. There are no less than 7 different colors on this airplane as of now. That doesn't include the various black bits such as tires, etc. The application of the stripes on the front of the fuselage were the trickest part so far.
Anyway, here is where she's at now. Hopefully I can start putting on the beautiful decals that came in the kit sometime before the weekend.

Hermon
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 11:25 AM UTC
Wow Hermon, that I really like, excellent subject and the Vichy colours are very striking.
Bleriot is plodding along, the kit is a real curates egg (good in parts). Decals are far better than I expected, register good, fairly thin and lay down well without Microsol. The fuselage longerons are too thick, as are many parts, but I dare not thin them down. This kit should have been 1/48 or 1/32 when it could have done justice to the spindly Bleriot. Planning a wash then Future, decals,and rigging last. Ithink I may have to omit the fuselage rigging for lack of anywhere to attach it

PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 12:35 AM UTC
Salut!

I can't find any good model to build. I only build aircraft from approx 1930 and forward, and only Swedish or Israeli Airforce. My scale (so far) is 1/72. Israel had quite a few French jets in the 50's and 60's and I would love to build a Super Mystère or a Fouga Magister. However, I fail to find any model. Azur has had a 1/72 Super Mystère in the "future release" for at least a year now. There is always the ol' Heller Magister (hard to get), but I've truly searched the internet - with no luck - for Israeli decals.

Does anyone have a good suggestion for me?!?

Cheers! // PolarBear

Ps. I've already built two Mirages the last year, and I don't wan't to build any more right now!

drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 01:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Salut!

I can't find any good model to build. I only build aircraft from approx 1930 and forward, and only Swedish or Israeli Airforce. My scale (so far) is 1/72. Israel had quite a few French jets in the 50's and 60's and I would love to build a Super Mystère or a Fouga Magister. However, I fail to find any model. Azur has had a 1/72 Super Mystère in the "future release" for at least a year now. There is always the ol' Heller Magister (hard to get), but I've truly searched the internet - with no luck - for Israeli decals.

Does anyone have a good suggestion for me?!?

Cheers! // PolarBear

Ps. I've already built two Mirages the last year, and I don't wan't to build any more right now!

why not buildign a rafale, a very beautiful plane and the newest greatest french plane for teh time being
GaryKato
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
AeroScale: 163 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 05:06 AM UTC
Squadron has the CM170 Magister, Alpha Jet, Super Entendard, Mirage IVA, Jaguar GR.1 (which you would have to convert to an A). I assume you want to stick to jets. If not, there are plenty of propeller-driven French aircraft to choose from like the Nieuport-Delage 522.
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 10:34 PM UTC
Thanks for the suggestions, guys! However, I'm looking for something flown by Sweden or Israel. I think I'll skip this campaign (sorry TedMamere!) and go for something Italian instead! Ciao!

Cheers! // PolarBear
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 11:34 PM UTC
Hi All,

Some very nice stuff here! Vance, the camo looks good, no worries. It will look even better with the roundels and markings.

Quoted Text

(sorry TedMamere!)

What!

See you in the Italian thread then...

Jean-Luc
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2009 - 01:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What!

Somehow, I thought you had initiated this campaign! Sorry, Vanize!

And I do have to agree, some really nice stuff here!

Cheers! // PolarBear
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2009 - 05:07 AM UTC
Hey everyone!

I just found this build and then posted to the earlier, pre-start thread. Oops.

I'm thinking about jumping in with possibly a 1/32 Dewoitine or Nieuport 11/16. I know it's getting a little late, but I've been looking for an excuse to do these. What do you all think?

Great work so far!

Michael
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2009 - 06:26 AM UTC
...or the 1/32 Special Hobby Morane-Saulnier Type N

Hmmmm... Maybe THAT'S the ticket! Yeah!!

Michael