Hasegawa Ki-45 Kai Koh Toryu 1/48
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 06:29 AM UTC
Hi all

First: If you want to see how this is done in a superior way, have a look at Jean-Luc's build Kawasaki Ki-45 Toryu. This will be poor and dirty ....

you're still with me? ...

So here we go: Today I started this because I still cannot decide if I should redo the canopy on my Hellcat or not .. you know I am lazy and I am still evaluating how much that darn hood bothers me

So as I finally got the Eduard Zoom set last Friday I began with the Nick. First as in most cases Cockpit assembly .. I tried to glue as much as possible and then I sprayed the interior colour mixed as per instructions (I really measured it) I also redid some parts and attached some of the etched parts. Painting is not yet finished on these.

comments welcome.

more to come soon ... hopefully

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2008 - 01:42 AM UTC
hi again

After masking my Avia B.534 I needed some easy task, so I gave the whole interior an oil wash of MIG Field grey and a little black. It will take some time to dry but for interiors I prefer the smother transitions I can achieve with oils.

Sadly the effect is not really easy to photograph .. even Chuck (or Chuk) had no easy time in todays Helldiver installment .. still every update is very inspiring !

happy modelling!

Steffen
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2008 - 05:05 AM UTC
Hi Steffen!

I will follow this build with great attention...

I drybrush the surface detail before the wash. Don't you?

Jean-Luc
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2008 - 05:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I drybrush the surface detail before the wash. Don't you?

I do it vice versa ... especially when using oils.

cheers

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2008 - 07:05 AM UTC
Here are some more pictures of the cockpit area.

I did a mix of th eZoom etched parts and the plastic ... the tiny etched levers are just too small for me.

cheers

Steffen
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2008 - 07:40 PM UTC
Hi Steffen

Very nice! I've got Eduard's Ki-45 set #49415 waiting for review as soon as I get a chance. The first photos really didn't do your work any favours, but the shading and highlighting evident in the last ones is very effective. I'm not sure the gaiter at the base of the control column should be painted green, though - wouldn't it have been made of canvas or leather?

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2008 - 08:25 PM UTC
Hi Rowan

Thanks for taking the time to comment! It is always appreciated!!

You might be right on the colour of the base of the control column.. I thought the same way but I looked several times in the instructions and there was no extra color for that cover. Maybe it was colorized canvas?

As for the etched parts .. Eduard is using some kind of matrix print and when photographed with a flash light the uneven, "grainy" surface does no good .. but I still like it better than panting the dash myself especially looking at it in real life.

Also I have a different approach than e.g. Jean-Luc. I first airbrush the interior --> sludge wash--> drybrushing --> detail painting and if necessary another pin wash so the effect does only show at the end. .... and: I do not like doing cockpits and thus I am not good at it .. as written above poor and dirty ....

all the best

Steffen

MrMox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2008 - 09:08 PM UTC
I like your cockpit, very detailed and colorfull.

Do you plan to ad some dirt and dust to the floor ?

Cheers/Jan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2008 - 09:34 PM UTC
hello Jan

I already reworked the scratched area with a lt. grey pencil and I will also add a bit of dust .. but arcraft were not as dirty inside as a tank ... when you move in 3 dimensions everyrhing that is loose will fly through the pit!

cheers

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 03:52 AM UTC
Hi all

I worked a little more on the details ... boring and difficult for me and my clumsy fingers ...

The pix are again a little blurry .. I try my best, but I do not have a large tripod at hand .. (it is home and difficult to get here because oversize and expensive to send) .. the effects of wash and drybrush can be seen though

I'll check the instructions and if all is in and close it up tonite.

all the best

Steffen
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 06:23 AM UTC
Nice work so far! Nice job on the interior.
Perhaps the only thing I would have added is drop of clear gloss to the instruments, but I guess that's one those things that you have the satisfaction of knowing it's there, not that it's very visible in the finished model..

Now that you brought it up, I've noticed that pre-painting thing on Eduard's PE too. Strange, the colors used to be nice and solid, but now they seem grainy and pixelated for some reason.
I wonder why.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 11:03 AM UTC
Hi Eetu

glossy klear instruments: you are right, but I wanted to close the thing up .. you probably can't see it anyway. I'll have another look tomorrow ...

Eduard: I think it is because modellers complained that the colour peels off when bending the parts .. now they roughened up the surface for better grip .. maybe the colour is not only printed on, but also burned in .. and again the crowd is complaining ..

I still like an Eduard zoom set better than doing it myself especially for instrument panel, all other panels with gauges and seat belts.

all the best

Steffen
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 09:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

and again the crowd is complaining ..

Well, yeah... I never felt the color peeling issue that serious. It could be solved simply by giving the pre-painted parts a single coat of flat varnish. Not only does it prevent chipping off the finish, it also stops super glue from reacting with the pre-painting (it easily makes the finish re-liquify and start to run).
On the other hand, on certain parts, like some types of instrument panels, the roughish finish is actually a quite good representation of the laqcuer finish, but my main concern is the more in the pixelated colors, like on the interior green sections.

Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 10:09 PM UTC
Hi there

Maybe I've been lucky, but I've never hit a problem with the colour peeling. Vladimir referred to the colour photo-etch printing issue in Eduard's March newsletter.

All the best

Rowan
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 10:12 PM UTC
Nice interior so far, Steffen.

I am looking forward to see more when this bird shapes up.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 10:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

but my main concern is the more in the pixelated colors, like on the interior green sections.

Hi Eetu

could you please add a "d" in the quote ... it should read crowd ... it was too late or too early last night

As for the pixilation ... If Eduard would match the right colours it would be a problem but mostly you have to adjust the green colour of the panels anyway (with a wash or so) , furthermore you only see it in the close up pictures .. still it is a bit annoying

@Jesper ... it already looks like an aircraft now .. bit I must leave it alone to allow the plastic to fully cure

Rowan .. many thanks I will have a look what Mr. Schultz has to say

all the best

Steffen

Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 11:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

could you please add a "d" in the quote ... it should read crowd ... it was too late or too early last night

I caught a typo!

...D added.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 11:39 PM UTC
From the newsletter Rowan mentioned:

Quoted Text

(...)Technology brings progress on all fronts, save one. We don’t apply tertiary colors, but rather, except for black and white, the colors are the required blend of primary colors. That’s why, if you look close enough, you’ll find a raster on the part surface. Its gotten to the point where its virtually invisible, especially to the naked eye, but it still might reside in the back of some modelers’ heads, but there’s not much more we can do there. At this point, its pretty moot, and the end result is deemed satisfactory and then some.

still there is no explanaition for the rough surface ... but again. I prefer their colour PE over blank metal.

cheers

Steffen
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 02:27 AM UTC
Your better at cockpits then I'm , very impressive nice effect on the weathering .
Hugh gived a relly good tip on taking photos . medium blue paper . It helps cut down on the glare and shows the work better . I used it for pic's on my Fokker build and very pleased with the results .

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 02:53 AM UTC
That's very kind of you, Terri!

As for the blue paper .. I have such stuff still there are some problems .. I only have large sheets (A3 and A2) that I cannot put on my workbench, thus I take WB pix in situ My finished models are always photographed on blue preferably outside.

Even if I put it on blue, there still is the problem of light. With my two photo lights I still need a tripod, when I have no light from outside .. as this is home and not here and is difficult/expensive to send with postal services ... I do not want to buy a new one because mine can be extended to 1.8m wich is a good working hight (I am 1.94m) ...

cheers

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 11:12 PM UTC
Hi again

well, I still want to let the model cure .. but at least i took a picture of it ... just to show the progress. Fuselage closed up, wings attached with slighjt modifications as jean-Luc did it (I did not glue the spacers together, so It was quite easy.

I tried to fill the wrong panel lines after a day (landing flap), but when sanding it it always broke open, as the glue had not set yet .. so I put Mr. Surfacere on all joints that were not satisfactory for me and set it aside .. i will give it another day or three to be on the safe side

Terri you see it is still blurry as the darn camera just did not want to keep still

all the best

Steffen
 _GOTOTOP