login   |    register

135
M3 Lee


Painting

The painting stage was a field of experiments for me to try some new techniques. After the base of Revell OD, I oversprayed this with an irregular pattern of lightened OD. This was followed by several oil filters and washes, gloss varnish, decals, matt varnish and a liberal amount of Mig pigments as I wanted to depict a real dusty vehicle in North Africa. As I was new to pigments, I then tried to fix them to the model with matt varnish… This left little to no pigments on the model. Luckily, I had taken some photos before, but I did not reapply the pigments at that time...
Until two years later in 2010, I decided to give it another go, the result of which can be seen in the accompanying photos.

A fun project and a great learning experience!
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move
  • move

About the Author

About Stefan Halter (Dangeroo)
FROM: ZURICH, SWITZERLAND

I'll build just about anything military related that gets my interest, though most of it is 1/35 scale WWII Allied.


Comments

Thanks for posting. Very informative and interesting.
AUG 24, 2010 - 05:23 AM
Nice work Stefan: Seeing your completed M3 nudges me closer to finishing my M31 conversion kit (stalled for quite a while). One thing you might want to change is the painting of your tail lights. Only the top left oval was red. The one beneath it and both right lenses were black. Hope this helps.
AUG 24, 2010 - 05:56 AM
Looks grand Stefan, nice work. Al
AUG 24, 2010 - 10:08 AM
Looks really nice, Stefan. I have this kit in my stash, so your article is very relevant. Especially for changes of the stowage boxes and turret. Thanks for sharing
AUG 24, 2010 - 08:35 PM
Thanks guys for your replies, I'm glad it was/will be of help to you all. Matan, thanks for getting this up! Roy, thanks for the tip, I should have changed it when I got around to it the second time but forgot about it. Cheers! Stefan
AUG 28, 2010 - 01:54 AM