login   |    register
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
HELP both rear idlers have snapped
Easy_Co
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
Joined: September 11, 2002
KitMaker: 1,933 posts
AeroScale: 89 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 03:40 AM UTC
Hi guys Can anyone help I am making the Italeri U.S.M.C.M4,whilst trying to fit the tracks both Idlers have snapped off.I referred to my Shep Paine bible and re glued them as he suggest,but the way they are attatched to the hull and the tightness of the kit tracks i doubt this is going to work.have any of you guys had this trouble with this kit, any remedies . I wont consider after market tracks they cost 28.00 the kit cost 9.00, can anyone help.
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
Joined: May 05, 2002
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
AeroScale: 328 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 04:10 AM UTC
I don't know what Shep suggests, but options:
1) If possible, drill a hole into the idler's center and attach a piece of brass rod or tubing and drill a matching holl in the connector point on the hull. If the track is indeed too tight, maybe moving the idlers forward just a hair might reduce the tension without compromising the proportions significantly.
2) Replace the rubber band track with appropriate after market individual links which will provide much less tension. The Idlers coule be attached as in the suggestion above of just glued into place.
Easy_Co
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
Joined: September 11, 2002
KitMaker: 1,933 posts
AeroScale: 89 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 07:32 AM UTC
Hi AJ I seem to have been double posted here.I have looked at the metal rod option but this kit is different than most I have made,the rear Ider axle has to be glued on the rear hull platethe attachment point is tiny considering the tension that will be put on it. What i have done is to super glue them on and have joined the tracks with staples about a quarter inch back fom the normal attachment point,they are on and the Idler is holding , even though i have moved them that much they are still quite tight.I intend showing the tank coming ashore so it will sink some in the soft sand with luck and artistic licience the sand can cover the repair.what do you recon.
shermanfreak
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Joined: January 24, 2003
KitMaker: 380 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 10:18 AM UTC
I've had this very thing happen with a couple of Italeri Sherman kits in the past.....yes it is a very weak connection at that point and after the first break it's even worse. I have successfully drilled and placed a support pin through the assembly. What I have done with all Italeri Sherman kits since those painful days is place the track over the idler first, then place the drive sprocket in the track, and slide the whole track assembly into place. It seems to work and I haven't snapped any idelrs lately.
hworth18
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oklahoma, United States
Joined: January 10, 2003
KitMaker: 426 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 10:36 AM UTC
I would do something along the same lines as what AJ suggested.. Drill out the broken idlers and run a piece of tubing through for each side..
TankCarl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rhode Island, United States
Joined: May 10, 2002
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 11:04 AM UTC
You could in the future,fill the idler holes,and clean off the idler mount.Then
Drill an off center hole in the idler,so you can rotate it to the front,like an eccentric.Then on the mount,use a metal rod.
Me,I buy after market,just because of this possible problem.All my Italeri suspension based vehicles get the idler mounted,squeezed with a clothespin,for a day or more,before any other work goes on...
Easy_Co
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
Joined: September 11, 2002
KitMaker: 1,933 posts
AeroScale: 89 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 08:30 PM UTC
Thanks for the advice on this fellas, my bush repair is not my final try the brass rod is looking the best option so far,I have let the super glue set over night I will try and fit the tracks as per instructions if it doesnt work i will go for the brass option .many thanks. :-)