I apologzie for the delayed update but all good things come to those that wait. So I forwarn you, this update is a little long.
Now that the hull paint issue has been resolved it the next step was moving towards the decks. The Tama is all linoleum decking which was secured with brass strips. Luckily Rainbow provides an excellant PE set for the decking.
oh, before that here is one of the aft aircraft handling facility walls with upgraded PE doors.
The frist deck step was the for deck. It needed new bollards so I used Alliance Modelworks Bollards for IJN Cruisers. I also added hawse pipe covers to complete the ensamble.
The forward deck came in two parts, unforatunately there was a significant gap so putty was added.
OK so now that those steps were complete it was time to paint.
NOTE - I should develop the process of completing all parts needing the same color paint before painting but I get to anxious!! Oh well.
Forward and linoleum decking painted and the brass strip ready to attach.
Brass strip secure
Closed hatch covers added and one open!!
The open hatch was a little fiddly as it is a little too long and too thing for the brass strip set. A lottle CA covered the gaps.
The remaining boxes added and ready for paint.
Now to some more walls and PE watertight doors.
Next was the stern deck and mid ship torpedo deck. Here both the kit and the Rainbow PE set fail. There is no detail what so ever so instead of trying to fiddle with that I plan on covering the torpedo openings with canvas.
the stern deck with the brass strip
Dry fitted and secure
There will be a lot of masking to get the brass painted grey - not looking forward to that but even before that I need to add the rails for the mine tracks.
Dry fitted the forward deck and the forward torpedo deck just for the look.
Now for some orogami - this will be the walkway and torpedo handling equipment that connect the foward deck with the mid deck.
As I am known to do I strayed a little and took a look at the torpedo mounts for the forward torpedo deck. The IJN Tama was equipped with 4 twin 53cm torpedo tubes. I want to depict the crew working on one of the torpedoes - either loading it or conducting maintenance on the warhead.
In pursuit of that idea i decided to work on the torpedo tubes.
Here is the kit torpedo tube part
The Rainbow set womes with some hand wheels but taking it a step further I decided to show one of the torpedo tubes open. So I removed the rear access hatch and drilled out the torpedo tube.
Need to thin out the aft end of the tube some more but you get the idea. This is just the start, I have two extra sets in case I make a mistake - the true reason I am adding canvass to the read torpedo hull openings!!!
OK, so now back on track and here is the mid deck painted and with the brass strip ready for mounting.
Now with the brass strip secure.
You might no be able to see it but unforatunately the brass strip PE does not align correctly with all the boat davit sopts. Not a big deal as that area will need to be painted grey so it gives me a chance to fix the problem without causing too much damage or need to repaint the linoleum decking. More to come on that challenge.
Well here is the last photo, all decks dry fitted and the Tama sitting along the supports for the Shokaku - gives perspective on the size of the Shokaku!!
Anyway, thats it for now, I am back on days so my bench time has been reduced back to Saturday and Sunday mornings so progress will slow. The next step is to work the stern and mid deck for painting. Hope to have that soon.
Thanks for stopping by and as always, comments, suggestions and criticism are always welcome.