Three weeks and no update. I have been working away on this slowly and have made some progress which I will try and set out here.
I am working on the rear superstructure. The ship is cleanly split into three areas so it makes it easier to focus one section at a time. I have decided to set HMS New Zealand as a late war, 1918 build, which has probably caused more work than I wanted but nothing that can't be built up.
The superstructure's gun deck level was very plain as I have previously posted so I worked on that, adding doors and portholes. Also installed the 6 12pdrs. The barrels seemed over long but the were nicely cast so I didn't bother to switch them out for the Master barrels. The gun doors came in the kit PE.
Next up was the funnel, one of three and the smallest. In ConBrig style, neatly cast but no detail. This is what the middle funnel looks like unadorned.
I added some brass strips and steam pipes to give some interest.
The funnel cap is quite clunky from the kit PE but it was all I had. It's s shame really because most of the PE is very good.
The Boat deck sits above the gun deck
All I had to add here was the boat cradles
There was a second deck at the rear with 2 12 pdrs early in the war. By 1918 these had been removed and the rear of the deck enclosed. Added to the front was a 24" searchlight from Northstar. I cut the platform from some brass sheet, used some railings from the spares and added a couple of triangular supports. These you can get in various sizes also from NorthStar.
The top deck was a bit more work. Initially it was a platform that was set up for 4 twin 20" searchlights and a range finder on an elevated platform. This was substantially transformed by late war. I removed the moulded on walls, filled the holes for the searchlights and cut back the range finder platform.
In place of the range finder was a platform with two 36" searchlights. I cut a brass platform
Used railings from the spares
And added the lights, from NorthStar of course
In front of the searchlight, a single 4" anti-aircraft gun had been added. It was slightly elevated, so again I cut a semi-circle of brass and added some 1mm strips as support beams.
As you know I had been looking a single 4" gun without success. So I sacrificed a twin 4" to get the barrel, breech and part of a pedestal. (Again, from Northstar)
From here it got a bit murky. From initial research i.e. grainy old photos I thought the 4" had a turret somewhat similar to those later used on corvettes etc. Simon kindly provided me with the scale measurements but further google gazing gave me a slightly clearer picture and from the that I figured that the gun only had a shield. Back to the brass sheet, I fashioned something along the lines of the photo.
Back to the tripod mast. I know this, but never learn my lesson, never build the tall, thin things first. It's a given you'll knock something off. Anyway from the initial photo I showed earlier
several updates ensued. First of all I got rid of the yards, they were too clunky for scale. I lowered the top mast down through the star platform as it should have been, added a lower platform with railing and also added a crane arm with pieces left over from WEM's Dreadnought set.
The platform is just dry fitted at the moment until I can update the yards, 3 of them. Also a couple ladders have been added to the outside legs.
So this is what a dry fit looks like. There is still a bit of adjustment to do to get it all fit together but it's almost there.
There is a month to go in this campaign and there is no way I am going to finish this on time so I think I will be seeking an extension for sure.
thanks for reading this far,