login   |    register
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
VIDEO
Unboxing MiniArt's European Tram
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
Joined: December 15, 2001
KitMaker: 12,497 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2014 - 11:39 AM UTC
Jim takes a look at this new kit from MiniArt. One that has been expected for a long while and is finally available.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
#051
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Joined: December 21, 2002
KitMaker: 7,714 posts
AeroScale: 3,157 posts
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2014 - 01:40 PM UTC
609 parts??? Amazing.
PlasticGeezer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Louisiana, United States
Joined: September 17, 2013
KitMaker: 28 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 03:59 AM UTC
Looks like Mini Art has done a good job on the molding of this one. The detail looks really nice. I'm going to have to put this on my wish list. A nice change of pace from your typical 1/35 kit, hope to see more subjects along this line.
mmeier
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
Joined: October 22, 2008
KitMaker: 1,278 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 09:00 AM UTC
And looking at Preise Miniatures there might be some nice passengers that fit the time periods those trams where used

The 63000 set looks nice. Listed as 1:32 but they are closer to 1:35 actually.
TRM5150
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
Joined: January 03, 2010
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 02:41 PM UTC
Great looking kit Jim! Tons of possibilities!! Thanks for the video review!!
LAH1SS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australia
Joined: August 02, 2008
KitMaker: 231 posts
AeroScale: 14 posts
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2014 - 11:21 AM UTC
I see they have a German tram listed in the new 2014 catalogue I wonder what the differences will be if any

Nice review mate
mailman7
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Joined: January 25, 2003
KitMaker: 39 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 05:40 AM UTC
I think that the only differences are the advertising signs.
mailman7
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Joined: January 25, 2003
KitMaker: 39 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 05:43 AM UTC
Miniart really does use too many parts, I got totally pissed at their Russian GAZ truck, it is not sitting with a partially built suspension.
mailman7
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Joined: January 25, 2003
KitMaker: 39 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 05:44 AM UTC
One problem mentioned is that the poles for the wires are too tall and should be shortened so the tram wire will reach the pole wires.
jimbrae
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
Joined: April 23, 2003
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
AeroScale: 291 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 07:43 AM UTC
IMO, 609 parts will put some people off. Not that people haven't become accustomed to the Uber-Models that many manufacturers are producing (and people are building) but the problema is where is the core-market for this model? That should be 90% diorama builders, the other 10% may be modelers who want a different and attractive subject to display as a one-off perhaps. However, it's within the former group that my comments are aimed at.

Adding anything like this is a nice feature within a Diorama. It's likely, that it'll be modeled as a part of the Street Furniture with tangled power lines etc. How many are actually going to build it as per the instructions? Therefore the idea of 609 parts does seem a Little pointless and perhaps MiniArt should have considered much less engineering on this with perhaps more simplified sub-assemblies (taking nothing away from the model itself) producing something which is simpler to add to a Dio?

It's not, IMO, particularly expensive (being around a third of the Price of the previous (RESIN) model of a tram), there is though a doubt that many will want to put a model of this level of sophistication as a point of interest in a dio.

I'm not knocking MiniArt, kudos to them for again thinking out-of the-box, but it does seem like a lot of design work for what is really a Diorama accesory...