login   |    register
Dingforum
The meeting hall for general discussions. Open to all.
Hosted by Mal Mayfield
my first limited run, mixed media kit
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
Joined: March 23, 2003
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2007 - 08:29 AM UTC
here it is, its a pegasus limited run kit of a junkers Cl1 two seater, ive been tinkering about with this (i.e. simply cleaning up the parts) for a while now, in fact its one of my entries in the get it done campaign, in order to give myself a little impetus to actually finish this!
and what a challenge its proving, due to the fact it has quite nicely moulded corrugations on the wings and fusalage, which has been making filling and sanding a ticklish job to say the least

at this stage i've added a plasticard floor to hide what would have been a wicked and unfillable seam, and the interior is sprayed out in alclad white aluminium

i've added a instrument panel left over from an avro 504 set, otherwise the cockpit front would look incredibly bare through that open cockpit, also you can just make out a cushion on the gunners "stool" made from folded up bottle foil, and i put in a spar made from thick copper wireas the wing join was just a butt joint which i don't think would hold over time. i also replaced the kit seat with an aeroclub one that has simulated quilting on, and added some straps with a bit more bottle foil

now its looking like an aeroplane!

undercarridge struts were made from some more copper wire, the kits instructions tell you to make these from the strut material provided......
except my kit didn't come with any! and with a white metal engine and interior this will need something a little more beefy than plastic to carry it. also this pic shows the corrugations that will make sanding the leading edge joint "interesting"!
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
Joined: June 27, 2006
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 02:09 AM UTC
Looks like a bit of a tricky one you've got there Phil. best of luck

Keep the Photo updates coming.

Andy
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
Joined: March 23, 2003
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 06:39 AM UTC
andy- i'm at the prime, fill, rub,check,prime,fill etc. stage at the minute so its not going to change much for a while!
derek- cheers mate! pm sent
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
#056
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
Joined: September 30, 2002
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 06:53 PM UTC
Nice Phil, apart from an interesting sanding session, or 3 applying the decals could prove equaly as interesting
I have a Junkers Ju 52 and I have been contemplating whether or not my masks will do the job for the markings. let me know if you want to try it and I'll give you some to have a go with. Remembering that I have yet to draw up Luftwaffe stuff

Keep it going mate, remember that you tackled the Airfix Tiger Moth and won

Mal
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
Joined: March 23, 2003
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 06:14 AM UTC
mal, the decals will be another leap into unknown territory! the kit instructions mention the following-
"the transfers provided in this kit are hand printed using a modern sophisticated "silk screen" process.decal solvents MUST NOT BE USED with these transfers, they are unusually thin and must ONLY be applied with distilled water"
there is then,a slight possibility i might need to use masks and theres nothing spare on the sheet to experiment with either