_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Eduard Nieuport 16 "Weekend edition"
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2007 - 12:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nicely done kit, Stephen! I have a question about the control horns on the tail fins though. Did they come with the kit or did you have to scratchbuild them? I wasn't happy with the horns that came with my Strutter, so I cut them off. Not sure what to use in their place though. Stretched sprue was one idea I had, another was to use scrap metal cut from a fret of photoetch. What other options are out there?

Greetings Goldstandard;
Yes I tried to stick close to the "out of the box" theme of the weekend kit. Normally for a basic kit I would make control horns out of scrap metal from photoetch frets. It took a little longer but I used the plastic. The monofilament has tension and the plastic really needs to be anchored well. I think Eduard even offered a PE set of control horns at one time.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2007 - 12:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice job Stephen. Are the figures Eduard also? I have a set of their RFC figures and am really impressed with them. Roy

Greetings rolf;

Yes these figures are fom 4 issues of he Nieuport 11 / 16 kit. Slight variations to each keep things interesting. Note the one on the far right has a head similar to Bert Hall of the Lafayette Escadrille. Adding finer details like braid would be the next step for them.

Here is the review I did on he RFC figures. I offered some ideas fo altering them.
Click here for Eduard RFC figures.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2007 - 12:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Cool build Stephen! But ... er ... I see only one brown... Mikko

Hey Mikko!
I did start with three but when I added a 'burned castor oil" over-spray to the front of the fuselage it ended up darkening the brown instead of lightening it. It was only after I painted the fuselage that the "four colour" infomation surfaced.

Note the figures and their coats - the two on the ends are the fourth lighter brown with a black wash. The middle two figures have their coats painted the darker red brown wih a black wash. My "castor oil" is a mix of black, brown and light earth tan. It tends to scumble the colours it overcoats. The references sited here note this lighter brown on the forwad fuselage, wheels and the center union of the top wing halves.

I wonder if this kind of discolouration took place on the original airframes? Maybe thats why we have always thought the dark green and browns were one colour in black and white film. Just a thought.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 12:18 AM UTC
Well folks its done. My first ever Full Review as an Aeroscale Staffer. I bumbled and stumbled through it but here I am. Relatively unscathed. Thanks to Rowan, Jean-Luc and Chuck for their kind assistance in pointing me in the right direction(s). Again Thanks to Eduard for the Review kit. I just hope I can remember what I did for the next time around.
Click Here.
 _GOTOTOP