_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
FEATURE
Salt Weathering
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2007 - 01:50 PM UTC

For those who like spiced models, our chief cook Fred Rick Boucher (JPTRR) has prepared a very special menu. If you want to get it right, just follow the receipt...

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,707 posts
AeroScale: 1,119 posts
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2007 - 02:08 PM UTC
That looks great! I've saved it on my favorites to get back to later....
Hope to see more features on weathering.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2007 - 03:39 PM UTC
Most impressive Fred!
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
AeroScale: 305 posts
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2007 - 05:57 PM UTC
Chewers beware huh. I use spit to check to see if I have sanded areas well enough (add some spit shine and grooves pop out). Now there is a new application!!

I've seen multiple applications of this and noone has ever applied it that way or warned of the pooling - well done.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2007 - 06:36 PM UTC
Hi Fred

Nice job! I definitely want to give this technique a try!

All the best

Rowan
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2007 - 06:36 PM UTC
Hi Fred.
Nice feature!
Ive been wanting to try the salt technique for a while now as the old silver pencil just doesnt seem to cut it anymore.
One question your article brings up.You say its important to wash the surface before applying Klear for decalling. I use mainly acrylic paint nowdays.Do you run the risk of washing the paint off by doing this, and if so,how do you get around this?
Nige
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 12:00 AM UTC
Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your encouragement! I am sure you will all find this a good thing to try.

Scott, spit-shining!?! I love it!

Quoted Text

One question your article brings up. You say its important to wash the surface before applying Klear for decaling. I use mainly acrylic paint nowdays.Do you run the risk of washing the paint off by doing this, and if so,how do you get around this?
Nige

Nige, you bring up something I did not think to mention. The first P-40 and the Ki-44 Tojo are painted with enamels. The Grace is primed with acrylic aluminum of my beloved Polly Scale, but the rest were primed with enamel silvers of various brands. Their exterior paints are all acrylic, Polly Scale, Aero Master and old Pactra.

The Polly Scale dries rock hard, quickly (in fact, the Buffalo was painted green, chipped, tape-masked and painted black, re-chipped and rinsed within 3 hours; the Ki-84 Frank was painted and allowed to cure a day, and I was not able to scratch any of the Polly Scale off!) I have soaked my models painted with Polly Scale in water to soften liquid masks for removal--no problem.

However, Pactra reacts differently. Soaking, even heavy rinsing, my models painted with Pactra in water causes the paint to blister--scores of little blisters. I first found this on a RAF F-4K I am building. Thinking it was ruined, I left in disgust. Returning the next day, the water had evaporated and the paint was smooth again! The green on the Buffalo is Pactra, the yellow is Polly Scale. Just washing the salt off caused the Pactra to blister. By the next morning it was fine.

So, I have had no problem with washing or soaking off my acrylic paints in water. Bio-degradable Simple Green removes these acrylics quickly. So do some window cleaners. In fact, I am considering reworking the Frank's chipping by removing the Future with ammonia (which does not hurt the paint) and attacking the Polly Scale with Simple Green. Stay tuned!
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 05:21 AM UTC
Great feature Fred.
I always wondered how to keep the salt on the plane while spraying.
Will definitely try this technique out.
Andy
Qwacker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 12:21 AM UTC
Brilliant!! I'm at this stage now with my 1/72 B-52 so I will be trying it this weekend. Roll on Saturday. What do you do about weathering decals?
trahe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,158 posts
AeroScale: 73 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 12:48 AM UTC
Thanks! Will definitely give this a try on my F4U Corsair...
FUTURE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 61 posts
AeroScale: 56 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 04:36 AM UTC
I know this is about using salt for weathering aircraft but this is what I did on a 76th JB Land Rover Ambulance ... Hope you all don't mind me showing this in this thread?

JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 10:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Brilliant!! I'm at this stage now with my 1/72 B-52 so I will be trying it this weekend. Roll on Saturday. What do you do about weathering decals?--Qwacker

Hi Qwacker,

The decals are a challenge. I tend mask the NMF where the decal will be (if I can accurrately figure out where the decal will lay) and then tear the decal to expose the NMF. Or, I watch for where the decal settles in the slight depression caused by the chip, and spot-tear the decal there. Mainly, traditional silver pencil / paint goes on the decal.

Quoted Text

I know this is about using salt for weathering aircraft but this is what I did on a 76th JB Land Rover Ambulance ... Hope you all don't mind me showing this in this thread?--FUTURE

Hi Future, feel free to post! The article is about salt weathering, not merely aircraft--I just haven't build many AFVs lately.
Qwacker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 12:29 AM UTC
Thanks Fred, I'll give it a bash, oops wrong joice of words, I'll give it a go when I get there. Cheers.
FUTURE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 61 posts
AeroScale: 56 posts
Posted: Friday, January 19, 2007 - 02:54 AM UTC
I use rock salt. I break up the rocks to the desired size I need. Then wet the area that is to be weathered. Of course the base coat of paint is already dry. Then apply the rock salt to the wet area. Let it dry. Paint your top coat. Let that dry. The knock off the rock salt. And you have lovely paint chips waiting to be weathered.

Then use a wash and this really helps to highlight the difference between the top coat and base coat where the salt weathering has been used. I prefer this than painting chipped paint.
JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 02:56 AM UTC
Uh-oh! Who's article do you like the best?

Another Site's Salt Weathering Article
 _GOTOTOP