_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
REVIEW
Fairey Albacore Mk.1
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 05:26 PM UTC

Another superb kit from the Czech Republic is Special Hobby''s brand new 1/48 scale Fairey Albacore Mk.1. Even if the aircraft is a biplane with cabane struts, rigging, fixed landing gear etc... the kit shouldn''t represent a major challenge for most builders.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Clanky44
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
AeroScale: 133 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 07:19 PM UTC
Thanks for the review Jean-Luc. It's great to see the continuing releases of obscure planes by companies like Special Hobby, Classic Airframes, Czech Model, Azur and Eduard. While the mainstream manufacturers continue to release reissues with different markings, these companies are filling the void, giving us fantastic variety. The're not shake 'n' bake kits, but the're buildable. I'd say 90% of all kits I've bought over the last couple of years have been by these companies.

Frank
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, December 29, 2006 - 09:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

While the mainstream manufacturers continue to release reissues with different markings, these companies are filling the void, giving us fantastic variety. The're not shake 'n' bake kits, but the're buildable. I'd say 90% of all kits I've bought over the last couple of years have been by these companies.

Hi Frank!

Very well said!
I'l looking forward to see what will come next!

Jean-Luc
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 04:00 AM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

I agree 100% with your review - a great kit of a long-overlooked type. The only thing that really cheesed me off was the lack - yet again! - of exterior stores! It's déjà vue time... exactly what happened with the Barracuda... we'll have to wait for the Hi-Tech version for the stores that should have been there in the first place.

Hmmm - which reminds me! The "Hi-Tech" Barracuda includes a torpedo which might just fit under an Albacore...

All the best

Rowan
Tarok
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 06:12 PM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc,

Thanks for the review.

I must say (from the box-art), this bird's not got the prettiest lines . And quite a fair amount of dyhedral (sp?) on the top wing. Was this normal for the time?
Also, what was the logic behind Britain wanting another Bipe for Maritime service when the Axis forces seemed to be concentrating on producing monoplanes (is that the corect term?) ?

Thanks again for the review,

Rudi
 _GOTOTOP