_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
My Workbench - jRatz
jRatz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,171 posts
AeroScale: 151 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 07:04 AM UTC
OK, here we go.

First, I have updated My Photos -- there are four of them & I see no reason to waste bandwidth showing them here.

My hobby room is also my military history library. The workbench sits in the middle and approx 1700 books surround it. I built shelves last year because of the mess and have now overflowed them also. There are no pix of the floor !!! It does make for extra work cleaning the book shelves because of the dust but that also ensures my book collection gets a good checkover 2-3 times/year.

Of note is the lighting -- I have gone to all Ott-lite (or equivalent). There are 3 bulbs in the ceiling fan, one in a floor lamp, one in an architect lamp, and one in a regular Ott-hobby light. I can more or less see things.

The stash is in the closet, on some shelves, on the floor, etc. Paint is under the booth, under the bench, etc. Tools are mostly around the bench. I have a computer, printer, the router & modem, etc, so electric sockets are full.

I'll periodically add a "Current Projects" post ...

John
jRatz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 07:12 AM UTC
OK, here we are -- Current Projects Dec 2006

Artificially posed are my five current projects.

CA 1/48 Anson (Early) - IPMS Review

Eduard 1/48 Sopwith Tripe -- was for the Early Birds contest but got bogged down ...

CA 1/48 Vampire FB.5 -- supposed to be a quick build for my Club's Christmas party -- not going well ...

HMS Ekins -- I'm building Trumpeter's Buckley DE as a Capt Class Frigate -- see the Dockyard thread on Model Ship Wright.

Bedford Armadillo, being built for the A-Guard campaign ...

Not shown: I just received and added the CA Defiant Tug to the list -- another IPMS review. And I've got a big vac-kit, the Contrail 1/72 Blackburn Iris for the Seaplane GB over on ARC, but it really isn't started.

John
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 08:10 PM UTC
Hi John!

Nice to see another modeller who builds in all scales and subjects!

I always feel so "guilty" for having so many "live" projects at the same time! :-)
It´s like eating a smorgosbord every day!

I see you have the CA Anson on the bench, that kit Is very high on my "to do list" (have two in the stash!).
How does that kit go together, any pit falls?

Looking forward to see It completed!

Cheers!

Stefan E
jRatz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 07:34 AM UTC
Stefan,
The Anson is a good kit and CA has just announced/released/maybe-shipping the "late" (really most prevalent) version with the upright windscreen.

Anyway, it goes together OK, but the instructions aren't as good as they could be. Their Walrus has several "scale" drawings to help with parts placement -- the Anson has just one. My problem areas have been the landing gear, the turret parts, the cockpit area, and a few other minor places. That sounds bad, but it isn't really -- I've just spent a lot of time thinking & test-fitting ... As long as you do that, everything goes together pretty well ... Unlike the Vampire ... I'd recommend at a minimum getting Warpaint #53 - the scale drawing is useful.

Here is my (still in progress) IPMS Review .

John
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 674 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 07:01 PM UTC
Need workbench and set up you have.

I haven't picked up my CA kits of the Avro Anson {late version} or the Wallras yet, as they are intended as RAAF builds and planned for late '07 or beyond.

propboy44256
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 285 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 07:11 PM UTC
Wow, another person that does more than one model at a time. Nice pictures.
jRatz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2006 - 06:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

.....I haven't picked up my CA kits of the Avro Anson {late version} or the Wallras yet, as they are intended as RAAF builds and planned for late '07 or beyond.

Rob,
I'm going to finish my early Anson as RAAF A4-26, although I have to admit partly because I have some flaws that an aluminum finish would not be kind to ...

CA has announced the later version and I think it may be shipping very soon .... I shall do at least one of them, maybe two ...

John
jRatz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 07:18 AM UTC
Updated workbench ...

I tried to label them. From last picture the Vampire went back in the box - terrible fit. I added the Contrail 1/72 Iris (vacuform), the new 1/32 Roden SE5a, and the CA 1/48 Defiant target Tug, another IPMS review.

Not shown is whatever I do for the Bloody April Campaign ...

I'm working hard at the SE5a & the Defiant to get some space cleared.

John
Augie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 711 posts
AeroScale: 107 posts
Posted: Friday, January 26, 2007 - 01:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have no idea how you can do more than one at once, I have a hard time remembering where I am on just one!
trahe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,158 posts
AeroScale: 73 posts
Posted: Friday, January 26, 2007 - 11:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ditto. I usually have three or four going on at any one time.
jRatz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 06:27 AM UTC
Actually it could be considered an attention-span issue ... :-)
In reality, it is just a work style. I find if I stay with one project too long, I start making mistakes. The other problem is that I will do anything to avoid painting ...
John
 _GOTOTOP