_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Duel - Lampie Vs Almonkey&TedMamere
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 09:31 PM UTC
This will be my entry for the Duel In The Sky Campaign.
Its the Academy Bf 109 E in 1:72 which I'll be building as an E3.
I'll be using option 1 from the EagleCals decal set #7250 to depict an early 109 flown by Major Hans "Assi" Hahn.
So many campaigns so little time!

Nige
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 01:26 AM UTC
Hi Nigel!

This will be my entry: Azur's Potez 631 in 1/48 scale (see review here )

I know I wanted to do a MS 406 but I changed my mind. I really want to do the Potez as it looks like a great kit! Of course I will build it without the vichy Stripes for this duel

Jean-Luc
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, September 15, 2006 - 09:16 PM UTC
Hi Jean Luc.
Ive managed to make a start on the 109.This is as far as its going to get for a while as Im going on tour tomorrow until late October,but at least its finally underway.
Maybe I can get the fusalage closed up.I think 5 weeks will just about be enough time for the glue to dry properly :-)

Nige
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 12:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think 5 weeks will just about be enough time for the glue to dry properly :-)

Hi Nigel!

Have a nice tour!

When you come back, maybe the Potez will be finished! ... and maybe I'll duel a MOM winner!

Jean-Luc

P.S. I will have to ask Rowan to change the TedMamare into TedMamere in the thread title. Is his the kind of tricks you use to destabilize your opponent? It will not work on me!
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 11:48 PM UTC
Hi Nigel!

I see the title of the thread has been changed! it's much better that way! :-)

Jean-Luc
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 11:53 PM UTC
What a difference a vowel makes,,LOL :-) :-) :-)
Sorry about that Jean Luc.
But hey,,your right,,,it does look better now!!!
Noge
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 11:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I see the title of the thread has been changed! it's much better that way!

I wonder how that happened?...
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 11:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I see the title of the thread has been changed! it's much better that way!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder how that happened?...

I think theres a bit of "magic" involved myself,,,LOL
Might have been that Mervin up to his tricks,,, :-)
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 04:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Have a nice tour!

When you come back, maybe the Potez will be finished! ... and maybe I'll duel a MOM winner!

Jean-Luc

2 out of 3 aint bad!!
What a great tour, 4 weeks around the UK and finishing with a week in Amsterdam,,,dont ask,,I will deny everything!

So finally production at the satelite workshop to the main factory at Regensburg is slowly starting to move again.
Fusalage and wings are together.Hopefully I will get some primer on this tomorrow and I can address any seam issues and I think a small bit of rescribing will be in order in a couple of places.
If I get a few days of fine weather theres a possibility that this could turn into a strafing mission instead of a duel in the sky!
Somehow though,looking at both my work and personal schedule,I get the feeling I will be staying in on New Years Eve finishing this off!!
Nige
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 02:17 AM UTC
Hi Nigel!

I started my Potez!

So far I only assembled the cockpit parts and painted it dark blue. I still have to paint the details, drybrush and then wash it.

I know it's not much... but it's better than nothing! The kit looks very nice and apart from the complicated landing gears it should be pretty straightforward... well, I hope so!

Jean-Luc

Edit: the color appears grey on the pictures but trust me it's dark blue...
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2006 - 12:40 AM UTC
Hi all!

I finished the cockpit...

This is a model I want to build "Out of the Box" so I used only the parts provided in the kit. The interior is accurate and the detail level acceptable but you can add a lot more if you want as there are no levers, wires etc... included in the Azur kit.

I already joined the fuselage halves and glued the wings. The fit is pretty good for a short run kit and I only placed a spreader made of sprue to improve things a little (see red arrow).

The last picture is the current status of the build. Unfortunately, tomorrow, I have ground work to do in my garden. So "Lumpy", you are safe for one more day! :-)

Jean-Luc
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,707 posts
AeroScale: 1,119 posts
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2006 - 12:52 AM UTC
A really beautiful machine Jean-Luc and by the looks of things you really do her justice. Looking awesome mate, can't wait to see her finished.

Was the Potez 631a success in real life??
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2006 - 02:58 AM UTC
Looking good Jean Luc.
Almost sad to think that it will soon be just a few fragments of metal in a smouldering crater
My 109 is now primed,and hopefully tomorrow I'll get the preshading and maybe the underside sprayed.
I have no fear of your Potez,time is my enemy on this build. Im looking at being away almost all of November,(somehow my 3 days between jobs fall on the Telford weekend ),and then another tour starting first week in December and running through until January.On top of all this Im in the middle of trying to find and buy a house!,,I certainly dont do things by halves!!!
Hopefully I will manage to get a good part of the 109 done over the next 2 days before I go back to work,,I guess I'll be burning the midnight oil on this one!
Nige
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2006 - 12:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I guess I'll be burning the midnight oil on this one!

Hi Nigel!

You still have until December 31th... but I must wish you good luck finding a new house! My wife and I, we searched for two years before finding the right one... with a nice modelling workroom and big shelves for my stash! :-)

Quoted Text

A really beautiful machine Jean-Luc (...) Was the Potez 631a success in real life??

Hi Jan!

Yes the Potez 631 is a beautiful machine. I don't say this because it's a French design but it really is. Unfortunately it was underpowered (like many French aircraft at that time). Even more problematic was it's ressemblance with the Bf 110! A lot of Potez were shot down by French fighters or AA guns!

Jean-Luc
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2006 - 01:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes the Potez 631 is a beautiful machine. I don't say this because it's a French design but it really is.

You mean: " I say this although it's a French design", right? :-) :-) :-) :-)

cheers

Steffen
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2006 - 09:23 PM UTC
Jean Luc.
Pah,,do you think that trying do disguise your Potez as a bf110 will save you from the guns of my Emil?
Ive got the preshading done and the underside sprayed. I know theres a finish date of 31st Dec,but if my work schedule confirms they I am looking at a grand total of about 6 days at home between now and the new year!
Back to the bench!
Nige
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2006 - 11:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You mean: " I say this although it's a French design", right? :-) :-) :-) :-)

Hi Steffen!

Yes, sometimes the exception confirms the rule! :-)

Nigel, I can even paint some german markings to the plane as some were used by the Luftwaffe after the Armistice...

Jean-Luc

lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2006 - 11:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nigel, I can even paint some german markings to the plane as some were used by the Luftwaffe after the Armistice...

Jean-Luc

You can paint it in a Dazzle scheme if you want Jean Luc but its still going down in flames

Nige
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 07:04 PM UTC
Watch your six Jean Luc.
A big leap ahead on the 109. Main paintwork is all done.I suppose Id better make a start on the bits and pieces now. I'll get it Kleared later today and hopefully get the decals on tomorrow night.

Nige
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 03:14 AM UTC
o.k. nigel i'm sorry its come to this but jean-luc has a "little friend" to put those nasty 109's in their place. i could'nt find any hurricane decals that fitted this time frame so i'm joining the french air force and will hopefully be getting a hawk 75 aircraft. so jean-luc, get set for a real buck danny style adventure
(nothing personal nigel, but my stash is a little luftwaffe heavy, and this hawk has a cracking three colour scheme)
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 05:56 AM UTC
Pah!,,Do you think that the prospect of having 2 of you to Duel with scares the mighty Rooster!
The Rooster is slightly too big for its boots,,er I mean cowling, as I found out when I applied the decals earlier tonight.
Of course,I only found this out when I applied the decal,so faced with a choice of it overlapping the top cannon port or the top of the exhaust I went with the exhaust option. A shame really because it looks a bit odd,so after a bit of contemplation I decided surgery was the order if the day and trimmed the decal flush with the top of the exhaust. Ok,,so its no longer a circular logo,,but at least it doesnt look like someone,,ie myself,,has slapped an oversize decal onto the cowling
Heres a before and after shot so you can judge for yourselves if I made the right decision.
Before.

After the knife.

Your safe for a few days as Im off to Belfast for the weekend and then away working again straight afterwards,but theres an outside chance this will be done for Telford Phil,so you can see exactly what awaits your totally outgunned contribution to our Duel In The Sky!
Nige
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 09:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

o.k. nigel i'm sorry its come to this but jean-luc has a "little friend" to put those nasty 109's in their place. i could'nt find any hurricane decals that fitted this time frame so i'm joining the french air force and will hopefully be getting a hawk 75 aircraft. so jean-luc, get set for a real buck danny style adventure
(nothing personal nigel, but my stash is a little luftwaffe heavy, and this hawk has a cracking three colour scheme)

Hi Nigel and Phil!

Phil, sorry, I didn't realized you entered this duel but you are welcome of course!

I think my Potez can benefit from the protection of your Hawk 75 against that Bf 109!

I made some progress and will probably post one or two pictures soon...

Jean-Luc
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 11:21 PM UTC
Hi again!

Here are the pictures!

The first one shows my new Revell Master Class (uhhh!) Compressor with a Revell Profi (uhhh again!) Airbrush. My old Compressor was only spitting water lately and I had to change it... may he Rest in Pieces. I also changed my plAztek airbrush because a part was broken inside and I found the cleaning was very complicated. Now I think I have the right weapons to fight with Nigel's Messerschmitt!

Below is a picture of the Potez. I painted the underside and will probably do the upper camouflage tomorrow...

Nigel, don't worry too much about this logo. Once your plane has crashed, nobody will notice it anyway! :-)

Jean-Luc
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2006 - 12:56 AM UTC
Hi all!

Seems it's "phoney war" here... :-)

I made some progress on my entry. I painted the camouflage and decaled the model. Next step will be to do the panel lines and get the bird on it's feets. And there are still the transparent parts to do...

I think I managed to catch up with Nigel's 109!

Jean-Luc
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,707 posts
AeroScale: 1,119 posts
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2006 - 01:03 AM UTC
Looking great Jean-Luc......beautiful bird, beautiful work.
 _GOTOTOP