_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II: Great Britain
Aircraft of Great Britain in WWII.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
RAF Airfield & Hangar Diorama 1:72 Scale.
Aussie-Dave
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 8 posts
AeroScale: 7 posts
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2006 - 06:21 PM UTC
What do you think of my creation?

In my Gallery is a couple of sample pics of my expanding Diorama.
(Now Bigger than a Pool Table.)

ps. You will have to excuse the Light-Coloured Bits of Whisker Crap on the grassed areas, the diorama is in a Large Galv.Iron Shed and crap is blowing in under the roof's metal ridge-cap flashing from the "Damn Neighbours Tree."
rommel93
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 169 posts
AeroScale: 27 posts
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2006 - 07:02 PM UTC

Nice one Dave I like it. Have you got any overall pics?
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2006 - 07:07 PM UTC
Hi Dave.
Welcome to Aeroscale
That looks like a real labour of love youve got there.
Allow me to put a couple of the photos into this thread

A nice mixture of kits I can see there, and its nice to see the old RAF Recovery set being put to good use.
Im sure some rivet counters would have something to say about the mix of aircraft types,squadron codes,etc,but for me its a great example of how much fun this hobby is and how much pleasure its possible to get from it,which is what modelling is all about.
Could you give us some of the history behind this great diorama?
Bet your glad you chose 1:72 and not 1:48th!
Nige
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2006 - 07:31 PM UTC
i spy a lot of airfix stuff there, and in a great setting.
just one question though, where is the short stirling kit that you get free with the bomb tractor and trollies? :-)
i would love to build something like this, just don't have the space, in fact as someone said to me today
"i have no bl**dy idea where its going when its built"
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2006 - 07:42 PM UTC
Hi David,

Looks like an Airfix promotion :-)

As stated above, the mix of camouflage schemes and types is questionable, the earlier Spits, used for training, might have no immediate need for repainting--I bow to the RAF experts on that question. RAF did base different squadrons at the same field, other command's crates did drop in for whatever reason, so the mix-n-match does not bother me.

That said, I am impressed and thrilled by your work! You are doing what I would like to. This is a great way to display your models, and with (what is known in the model railroad community as...) selective compression, I have no problem with the different codes / colors / types. You have a busy, dynamic scene here. As you keep adding goodies, you will have a scene worthy of Bob Letterman's epic dioramas.

I don't see a problem with the neighbor;'s tree crap on your grass. This removes the "parade park" look and adds interest. That they are all pretty uniform in size looks toy-like, but they can be broken up if you desire.

Your grass looks like it has two or more shades--well done! I would suggest breaking it up a bit more, perhaps thinning it with some dirt in the touchdown zone where aircraft wheels will hit the turf frequently. I'd dirty up the areas slightly where the crates park--POL (petroleum, oil, lubricants) spills and all. Random wheel marks in the grass, all these greatly add appeal and interesting detail for little effort.

Wonderful trees!

I would suggest putting a few piles of supplies here and there, but my views of England RAF bases appear that these were dispersed and not out in the open, except to immediately service the aircraft.

Here are some good diorama groups: SCENERY

SCENERY_AND_STRUCTURES

Keep going!
jRatz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,171 posts
AeroScale: 151 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 08:06 AM UTC
That's neat !!!

I've been collecting bits & pieces -- Airfix & FlightPath -- but haven't really got to work yet. I know I spent a lot of time looking for RAF Control Tower reference material, and have some, but not as much as I want on interiors.

I have no intention of making a whole diorama, I just want a lot of things that I can display with my models.

Break:
The Stirling & bomb trolley -- sorry, the molds are so old that the trolley is little more than a lump of plastic -- I have two & gave up. I sprung for the Flightpath stuff instead ...

John
Modelmadness
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 21 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 24, 2010 - 05:48 AM UTC
That's great! I am planning a RAF dio like this and looked at yours...you don't mind if I use the idea of the recovery set and hangar do you? Of course mine won't be as good
Modelmadness
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 21 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2010 - 09:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

i spy a lot of airfix stuff there, and in a great setting.
just one question though, where is the short stirling kit that you get free with the bomb tractor and trollies? :-)
i would love to build something like this, just don't have the space, in fact as someone said to me today
"i have no bl**dy idea where its going when its built"

I dont think you get a free bomb trolley set ,I think you are just confused with the picture on the box...for the diorama it's great! I love the way that you set it out so well that it gives the illusion that the diorama base is a lot bigger than it actually is!
TumboJnr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2020 - 02:00 AM UTC
Hello Dave, Only joined so I could leave a comment on your diorama, WOW! what can I say, a man after my own heart, great stuff mate. Think I might stay.
Tumbo from the UK
 _GOTOTOP