F. Swordfish on Floats - pt 1.
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 674 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 04:35 AM UTC
G'day.

Starting with the boxed 48 scale Floatplane version of the Mk I Fairey Swordfish and a little AM photoetch leftover from a previous build some years ago, some polyester thread and a few beter AM Deacals, for roundals and fin flashes, not to mention a lot of time spent on the wing brace rigging and control surface cables.

Using Humbrol enamels of #31/#123 on the upper surfaces over #64 on the lower, Model Master Metalizer for the collector ring and exhaust. The exhaust collector was not fitted to the cowling ring during the cammo application, which incidently is all done free hand.
The interior 'DOPED" section of the iner fuselage half was mixed and painted using Humbrol enamels #'s 132 and 133. I mixed 2 parts of #132 to 1 part #133 to create the "Close as Posible" doped fabric colour.

When dry the area was masked with Tamiya tape and Model Master RAF Interior Grey/Green was applied and the stringers were picked out by hand, the control surfaces cables were CA glued to their respective positions aligned to the pilot cockpit controls prior to cementing the interior framework to the fuselage and glueing the halves together.

The pix below are what detailed steps were taken and highlighted to the completed assembly and painting of this subject.

Rob.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 10:41 AM UTC
Hi Rob!

Your Swordfish looks great so far. I always liked that old bird. The level of detail from the box is outstanding! It's funny you are posting pics of the Tamiya kit as it is one of my last purchase. I found the "Clear Edition" for 22€ at my LHS recently!? There were two boxes and the two are gone... one for me and one... ? If only all Tamiya kits would cost that less...
How was the build? Did you encountered any problem? How was the fit of the wings? I looked at the instructions and found the assembly steps to be unusual.
Anyway, I'm looking forward to see the decals on it!

Jean-Luc
Jung
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 87 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 11:38 AM UTC
Great looking build so far Rob. Wasn't it the Swordfish that sunk the Bismarck?

-Jung
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 12:22 AM UTC
Excellent Rob, looks fantastic I do like the look of the Swordfish with floats. I don't have the kit with floats, but I do have the wheeled version, which I intend to do as one involved in the attack on the Bismark. What have you used for the rigging?

Quoted Text

Wasn't it the Swordfish that sunk the Bismarck?

I believe that the torpedo attacks by Swordfish crippled the Bismarck’s steering, enabling surface vessels to catch up with her.
Mal
 _GOTOTOP