_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
PHOTOS: MODEL
  Stunning MiG!
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2006 - 03:04 AM UTC
Ron Petrosky (Schmookey) has sent us some pics of his beautifully shaded n/m-finish North Vietnamese MiG 17F.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2006 - 03:12 AM UTC
Great job Ron. What type of paint did you use? I'm doing a natural metal Jug next and I'm trying to get ideas on what paint to use. How did you go about the shading, nice work, Wingman out.
GunTruck
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
AeroScale: 103 posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2006 - 03:16 AM UTC
Aaaah very nice finish Ron!

Gunnie
Panzercmdr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 110 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2006 - 03:28 AM UTC
Outstanding job on the Mig Ron
tommaso66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Trieste, Italy
KitMaker: 127 posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2006 - 03:39 AM UTC
I like uncommon and original subjects like this!!
Great painting Ron, amazing.
How did you shade panels? did you use inks?

Tom
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2006 - 03:50 AM UTC
Beautiful!
and "ditto" on the questions above. I'd really like to know the techniques used.

Hermon
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
AeroScale: 328 posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2006 - 05:21 AM UTC
I like this a lot. You see the plane firts, then you gradually notice the shading. It doesn't overwhelm the model like a certain AC-130 on a certain recent magazine cover.
bottlerocket
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 66 posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2006 - 06:33 AM UTC
Nice one Ron, very subtle...love the subject matter also...N
liberator
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
AeroScale: 38 posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2006 - 07:38 AM UTC
i saw this in the gallery earlier..it's really a nice build. thanks for sharing...looking forward to see more of your works. oh yes...nice build and presentation...specially the weathering.
schmookey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 6 posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2006 - 11:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Great job Ron. What type of paint did you use? I'm doing a natural metal Jug next and I'm trying to get ideas on what paint to use. How did you go about the shading, nice work, Wingman out.

Wingman:
This is the Aeromaster Choice kit of the Mig17 finished a couple of years ago. I scratch- built some of the detail under the rear canopy from the patterns provided in the Eduard 1/32 set for the Trumpeter Kit and a certain amount of “gizmology”. Gun Barrel and Pitot Tubes are Stainless steel tubing. This was a pretty crude assortment of plastic parts (Originally an ESCI kit?) coupled with some excellent resin and etched parts. Lots of sanding and re-scribing! We really need an up-to-date accurate kit of this very famous warrior.

This was my first attempt with Alclad II . I shot a coat of Alclad over polished floquil primer then pre-shaded panel lines with black acrylic and over-sprayed a glaze coat of Alclad over that to knock back the pre-shading. Various panels were masked and sprayed darker or lighter shades. I do think the total effect is a bit heavy handed and would have sprayed a heavier glaze coat in retrospect. After a coat of future the decals were applied, then another coat of future to seal the decals. After a coat of Testor’s flat laquer (allowed to dry for a few days) I applied a wash of burnt umber and black oil paint to all recesses and wiped this off with a rag dampened with turpentine in the direction of airflow (I’m a graduate of the Verlinden School of Weathering, Go VSW!). Another coat of flat followed that to fix everything and give the duraluminum the look of the oxidation that occurs to natural metal A/C after some time outdoors. Stencils are borrowed from Aeromaster’s Mig-21 Stencils.

Thanks for looking and the very nice comments
Ron
schmookey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2006 - 11:14 PM UTC
Gunnie:
This is the Aeromaster Choice kit of the Mig17 finished a couple of years ago. I scratch- built some of the detail under the rear canopy from the patterns provided in the Eduard 1/32 set for the Trumpeter Kit and a certain amount of “gizmology”. Gun Barrel and Pitot Tubes are Stainless steel tubing. This was a pretty crude assortment of plastic parts (Originally an ESCI kit?) coupled with some excellent resin and etched parts. Lots of sanding and re-scribing! We really need an up-to-date accurate kit of this very famous warrior.

This was my first attempt with Alclad II . I shot a coat of Alclad over polished floquil primer then pre-shaded panel lines with black acrylic and over-sprayed a glaze coat of Alclad over that to knock back the pre-shading. Various panels were masked and sprayed darker or lighter shades. I do think the total effect is a bit heavy handed and would have sprayed a heavier glaze coat in retrospect. After a coat of future the decals were applied, then another coat of future to seal the decals. After a coat of Testor’s flat laquer (allowed to dry for a few days) I applied a wash of burnt umber and black oil paint to all recesses and wiped this off with a rag dampened with turpentine in the direction of airflow (I’m a graduate of the Verlinden School of Weathering, Go VSW!). Another coat of flat followed that to fix everything and give the duraluminum the look of the oxidation that occurs to natural metal A/C after some time outdoors. Stencils are borrowed from Aeromaster’s Mig-21 Stencils.

Ron
schmookey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2006 - 11:16 PM UTC
Thank You very much!
Ron
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2006 - 11:21 PM UTC
Excellent work, i love the shading. I wish i had seen these pic's before i had finished mine. I will definitely be trying your techniques on my next early Mig.
Andy (++)
schmookey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2006 - 11:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Beautiful!
and "ditto" on the questions above. I'd really like to know the techniques used.

Hermon

Hermon:

Ron
schmookey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2006 - 11:27 PM UTC
Thanks Andy!
Ron
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2006 - 11:36 PM UTC
Very nicely done Ron thanks for sharing both the pictures and your techniques. I hope you have pics of more models to share
Mal
 _GOTOTOP