Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2006 - 11:49 PM UTC
Sorry to bore you with another canopy problem but I stood on the top part of the canopy for my Gavia Lysander, splitting it neatly down the middle DOH!! This is more in hope than expectation, but does anyone out there have a spare? I do have another kit and an Eduard ProfiPack version so could use the top canopy part out of one of them. The problem with that solution is that it renders another kit canopy less. The ideal solution may be a vacform canopy, but I've never seen one.
Mal
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 12:02 AM UTC
Hi Mal!

Couldn't you just ask the manufacturer for a replacement part?
It's funny, I just found out there was a part missing in my Heller 1/48 T-6 Texan I'm building for the "Teeth" Campaign... I will ask for a replacement part myself.
Maybe we could see that as a way to test the manufacturers customer service on that matter!
By the way, you could do the same with your B-26 canopy.

Jean-Luc
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 12:15 AM UTC
Hi Mal

I'm planning to build a Gavia Lysander for the Miidnight Sun campaign, so I'll check to see if there's a spare. If not, I may be able to vacuform you a replacement using the kit part as a master.

All the best

Rowan
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 01:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I may be able to vacuform you a replacement using the kit part as a master.

Hi Rowan!

Do you have a Vacuform machine or do you use another method? I will have to do a vacuform canopy for my Bugatti and this is something I've never done before... could you write an article about it? I know you don't have much work to do at the moment... apart from a Halifax!

Jean-Luc
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 02:21 AM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

This is my vacuformer... I copied the ideas in HeavyArty's excellent Feature. It was really quick and cheap to make. I bought extra components to build a larger one, but have never got 'round to it.

All the best

Rowan
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 01:32 AM UTC
Hi again Mal

I checked the kit, but there wasn't a spare.

All is not lost though... LOL! I think this might be better than anything I could mould! Apparently, it's designed for the Italeri kit, but hopefully it should fit the Gavia.

All the best

Rowan
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 01:50 AM UTC
Thanks guys I could possibly get a replacement from Gavia but I think a Vacform would be a better idea, as the gavia top canopy is very thick. So I might just try the one for the Italeri kit. If it works then I could pose the top part open.
Jean-Luc, I have tried to get a replacement for my B-26 canopy but Revell want me to pay £3.50. The part had a flaw in it, I didn't break it, like the Gavia one, so I aint paying
Mal
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 02:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have tried to get a replacement for my B-26 canopy but Revell want me to pay £3.50. The part had a flaw in it, I didn't break it, like the Gavia one, so I aint paying

Hi Mal

I've said elsewhere that I think it's pretty outrageous of Revell to try to charge for replacing faulty parts. Maybe you should complain to the trades ombudsman...

All the best

Rowan
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 11:27 PM UTC
It's an idea Rowan, but I sort of get why they're doing it. When Airfix were in their hayday if you asked for a part they sent you a whole new kit. Some B*******s did this rather than buy kits and of course this practice helped in the demise of Airfix happily reserected. I do think that Revell have gone a bit too far the other way though.
I remembered that I have the Italeri kit and checked to see if the canopy top part would fit the gavia kit, but no. I assume therefor that the vacform part would either Doh!!
Mal
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2006 - 04:15 AM UTC
Squadron make a 1/48 vac canopy for the Italeri kit, maybe it will/could fit the Gavia kit. They also make a 1/48 B-26 canopy set.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 01:18 AM UTC
Thanks Dave, I have the Italeri kit and the canopy from that doesn't fit the Gavia kit, so I assume the vacform wont either. I think I might be getting the B-26 vac canopy
Mal
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 01:56 AM UTC
Hi Mal

I had a look at the Gavia kit - was it just the top section you stood on? If it was, you should be in luck - it's such a simple shape (no undercuts or anything) that it would be ideal for plug-moulding with clear sheet over a new carved master. It looks like the internal framework takes the weight of the wings, so a simple replacement done like this should work fine.

All the best

Rowan
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 01:54 PM UTC
Yep just the top section. I thought about trying to plug mould one from the others I have, which would be great. I have never tried this before and, although I understand the techniques involved, I'm woried that the kit part will get damaged, but mainly I haven't a clue what clear sheet to use. If you can point me in the right direction as to what clear sheet to use I just might give this a go. A vacformed canopy really is the way to go as the Gavia one, although very clear, is also very thick (the top part). It is also in one piece and, even if you seperated the two pieces, you couldn't pose it open. A vacformed one would make a big difference. Maybe this is someone trying to tell me something
Mal
 _GOTOTOP