Rivets on Airfix kits
Ian2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 97 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 08:26 PM UTC
A quick question.

On the Airfix Hampden and Battle, there appear a profusion of rivets on fuselage and flying surfaces. I'm guessing that these are too pronounced (but might tone down under a coat of paint). The reason I ask is I have seen some footage of a Hampden that seemed to be completely smooth in finish.

Should I remove all rivets and if so, would panel lines still need representing?
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
AeroScale: 328 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 08:32 PM UTC
Sand down the rivets, no reasonable amount of paint will tone them down to a realistic level.
Ian2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 97 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 09:44 PM UTC
Thanks; will do! :-)
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 11:56 PM UTC
Yes the rivet detail on the old Airfix kits are over done, although the first time around the models were pretty good, in most cases they take some work to make a decent model by todays standard.
I don't build in 1/72 but if I were to build one of the old Airfix kits I would sand off all the detail and use a pencil to draw on the panel lines after the matt coat. If done carefully this method looks pretty good in this scale. You could of course scribe in the panel detail but I reckon in 1/72 scale drwing them on looks good and is much eisier
Mal
 _GOTOTOP