_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II: Great Britain
Aircraft of Great Britain in WWII.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Making Eddie's Spitfire (asking for advice)
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 11:02 PM UTC
One day I got this wacky idea. If I'm ever going to build a spitfire, it has to be this one:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Not a project for the ones who are after historically correct models...

I already got Tamiya's Spitfire mk.I in 1:48 scale. Now I need to get some aftermarket decals to come up with suitable registry numbers and letters for it (like E for Eddie, IM for Iron maiden). The pilot figure needs to be re-sculpted to look like Eddie (a suitably non-human character, good for practice).

But then come the problematic part. The custom markings. How should I do the kill markings and the IM logo? Printing white is pretty much impossible, right? That IM logo could probably be done by printing the red on white decal film and then cutting off the letters one by one. And then the kill markings, perhaps I should simplify the hair parts and just do the same as with the letters?
I haven't printed my own decals before so any advice is good & welcome.
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2005 - 09:22 AM UTC
just to say, i cant offer any advice on making the decals, but as an iron maiden fan myself (since 1980)i say GO FOR IT!
and on a pedantic note that picture of eddie appears to have been modified from the tailgunner sleeve (look at the hands, they seem to be both holding mg triggers rather than a spitfire joystick)
MickeMustang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 5 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2005 - 11:15 AM UTC
Yau can make your own water transfers using a product called "Lazertran" (http://www.lazertran.com). This product used to be called JetCal. You just scan the image you have or copy it straight to the Lazertran sheets using an ordenary inkjet printer. When it is dry you just cut it out and soak it in water as you normally do. If I remember correctly the background goes white when dry and if you want it transparent you have to apply a cote of celloluse lacquer over it.
Hope it helps.

Micke
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2005 - 12:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

just to say, i cant offer any advice on making the decals, but as an iron maiden fan myself (since 1980)i say GO FOR IT!
and on a pedantic note that picture of eddie appears to have been modified from the tailgunner sleeve (look at the hands, they seem to be both holding mg triggers rather than a spitfire joystick)

I think it's made like that just to look cooler. Modified from the tailgunner cover? (to make Eddie really look like he's "heading straight for them pressing down his guns" ) I don't think so, Aces high was onPowerslave (1984) and tailgunner is from No Prayer For The Dying (1990). The position of Eddie's hands look similar, though.

Now I've got myself a sheet of RAF code letters and numbers (my LHS didn't have white ones, so I got a grey sheet. Did RAF even use white numbers and code letters anyway?). I got to start practising with photoshop to make the decal designs. With luck I can probably just copy them from the pic. Otherwise I may have to draw them using the pic as a template.
KitMaker: 4,303 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2005 - 01:02 AM UTC
Heavy project!!!
Good luck with it!

Paul
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2005 - 04:15 AM UTC
[I think it's made like that just to look cooler. Modified from the tailgunner cover? (to make Eddie really look like he's "heading straight for them pressing down his guns" ) I don't think so, Aces high was onPowerslave (1984) and tailgunner is from No Prayer For The Dying (1990). The position of Eddie's hands look similar, though.

oops! of course it was! in my defence i still think of number of the beast as "the new album"
goes to listen to entire maiden back catalogue as punishment
 _GOTOTOP