_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Luftwaffe Group Build Rules
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
KitMaker: 381 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 06:47 PM UTC
Hi all A/C Guys,

Here are the final rulez for the Luftwaffe Group Build. Suggestions are welcome!
- Any Luftwaffe plane of the following (FW190/Me109/Ju-88/Ju-87) in German markings(no Allied captured stuff, please !)
- Scale can be in 1/32, 1/48 or 1/72.
- ANY KIT can be used, no restrictions. If you get one dirt cheap, go for it !
- OOB models. Preferably, no aftermarket parts. This is b'cos some people(like me ) can't afford them, or have access to them in other parts of the world. However, if you wanna deck up your plane and you have the dough, pls do so, and do let us know !
- Scratchbuilding allowed.
- Decals : Anything goes! Handpainted, kit decals, aftermarket decals, etc.
- Reference material can be shared.

- Dates :
Start date Jan 1, 2003.
End date April 30 2003.
This is open for discussion, but since some of you may be working on two kits for the two builds , I think this is OK. You can work on one instead of watching the paint dry on the other !

Also, I can advance the start date to Dec 1, if everybody has a kit on hand, and doesn't want to wait until Jan to start .

I will be moderating the build, if it's OK by all . Or else, do pick someone else b4 we start!

So, go for your kits, and let's start working on that plastic!

Cheers,
BP.
Jeepney
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Philippines
KitMaker: 1,538 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 06:51 PM UTC
I nominate BP for Luftwaffe Group Build Moderator!

December is also fine with me although I'll go with the vote of the majority concerning group build start dates
SS-74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2002 - 04:30 AM UTC
Just got myself a Tamiya 1/48, Me-109 E3, and started to practice on it, god A/C is difficult....
ArmouredSprue
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
AeroScale: 116 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2002 - 09:21 AM UTC
HI guys and gal!
You can count me in this group, I just got a Tamiya BF109 in 1/72 and IŽl make in the TROP (version used on North Africa) version....see you there
YodaMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2002 - 11:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just got myself a Tamiya 1/48, Me-109 E3, and started to practice on it, god A/C is difficult....

What's difficult? Heh, I find armor to be a lot harder than A/C....

I'm in for the Luftwaffe build... I've waited too long to start my Bf-109. The December 1st would be a fine start date for me! :-)

YodaMan
Chief
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 498 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2002 - 12:03 PM UTC
If ya'll can hold off till January, I'll jump in with a JU-88 or STUKA. I won't be set up in Sicily till sometime in December.
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2002 - 03:20 PM UTC
Hi Chief,

As you can see, most of the people signing up already do have a kit on hand , and are raring to go.

Also, since you'll still be having 4 months from Jan to April end to complete the build, I guess it should be OK if you start on Jan 1.

You will still have plenty of time left over. (I myself have about another 3 weeks to go, and I have finished my Hellcat for the first build already!). If most of the people have not finished their stuff by April, we can all vote to move the end date forward anyway .

So go ahead and start in Jan. The rest of the folks can start on Dec 1. Agreed?

BTW, I'm going in for a 1/72 MPC Ju-88. From what I've seen of the kit, it looks like an absolute dog to me. It was a re-boxed kit which I got cheap off Ebay, and looks like I'll have to do a lot of scraping on the model.

Cheers,
BP.
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
AeroScale: 424 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2002 - 11:52 AM UTC
I'm in too, guys I still need to buy the paint for the 109 though...
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 12:19 AM UTC
Does this mean that I have to start something new? I was going to complete my Mistel ( I've been stuck on the paint scheme for quite some time now ). If the rules are that you have to start and finish within a time limit, no problem. I'll probably do a desert Stuka, with the snake down the side. :-) I have the kit and the decals, so I'd like to start Dec

Mal
SS-74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vatican City
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 05:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

What's difficult? Heh, I find armor to be a lot harder than A/C....

I'm in for the Luftwaffe build... I've waited too long to start my Bf-109. The December 1st would be a fine start date for me! :-)

YodaMan

Armor are much easier, man. The thing really scares me is the masking for the canopy. I just did one section of masking and cutted my fingers TWICE! Any tips outta there for masking canopies?
MGoddard
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 37 posts
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2002 - 02:38 PM UTC
Would someone mind posting what paint colors I will need for a Bf109E ?? I would like to order the paint the same time I order the Plane so that I have it when I need it. (my Local HS doesn't carry much for German colors).

Thanks,
Mike
Jeepney
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Philippines
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2002 - 02:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Armor are much easier, man. The thing really scares me is the masking for the canopy. I just did one section of masking and cutted my fingers TWICE! Any tips outta there for masking canopies?

BP has tips at this thread.
SS-74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vatican City
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2002 - 03:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Would someone mind posting what paint colors I will need for a Bf109E ?? I would like to order the paint the same time I order the Plane so that I have it when I need it. (my Local HS doesn't carry much for German colors).

Thanks,
Mike

For the ME109E3 I am doing now, it's RLM02, 65, and 71
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 08:53 PM UTC
Hi everybody,

Am back after a long four day weekend trip. Nice to see so much traffic going on in this post !

Well, it's final then. The start date is going to be Dec 1st 2002. So get your models in, lady and gentlemen, and let's move on!

Regarding your canopy problem, SS-74, as Jeepney said, you can refer my earlier post on using 3M Tape for masking canopies(Thanks for that, jeepney ).

Otherwise, send me a PM on Armorama mail with your email id, and I'll scan an article on canopies from Mike Ashey's 'Detaling Scale Aircraft' book and send it across to you. (BTW, this offer is open to anyone else too if they want...;-)!)

I'm off to work on my Academy 1/72 B24D Liberator until Dec 1 then. Cheerio !

Rgds,
BP.
MadMeex
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vaasa, Finland
KitMaker: 424 posts
AeroScale: 73 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 02:04 AM UTC
I've been waiting for an excuse to finally get started on that beautiful He-177 A-5 by Revell. I'll do this one OOB, the next one gets the AM parts... December is a good time to start for me.
penpen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 07:30 AM UTC
Oh yes ! I just got myself a bh 109 !
Jeepney
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Philippines
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 12:47 PM UTC
Glad to have you with us MadMeex! Welcome to Armorama!
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 04:03 PM UTC
Hi MadMeex, and welcome to Armorama!

Quoted Text

I've been waiting for an excuse to finally get started on that beautiful He-177 A-5 by Revell. I'll do this one OOB, the next one gets the AM parts... December is a good time to start for me.

Nice to know that you want to take part in the Group Build. All the best!

However, the plane that you have chosen doesn't come under any one of the four mentioned(FW190/Me109/Ju-88/Ju-87) in the rules. Since most of the people signing up for the build are going for one of these, please take your pick from them, and build that kit.

You can always do your He-177 in parallel with the build kit, and some people are doing exactly that(they are making the Corsair build in parallel with this one ).

So, do take your pick, and welcome aboard !

Rgds,
BP.
MGoddard
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 05:12 PM UTC
anyone know what Tamiya colors are needed ??

Thanks
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 06:47 PM UTC
Hi Mike,

SS-74 has given the colors as follows:
RLM 02, 65 and 71.

I checked up the Color Charts at IPMS Stockholm(Germany Colors ) and according to that site, here are the Tamiya Equivalents for the above ones:
RLM 02 Grau - Interior color, also used as overall color on prototypes - T:XF-22
RLM 65 Hellblau - Lower surfaces - T:XF-23
RLM 71 Dunkelgrun - Wartime splinter scheme - T:XF-61

Hope these help !

Rgds,
BP.
DaveMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 137 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 08:57 PM UTC
I would like to participate in this build too. I am thinking of an early Bf 109 B. I would have to do a conversion, and find decals for it though. Any idea of the best 1/72 kit to start out with? Sword, and AML both make D models. Hobbycraft makes a C in 1/48 scale, and I haven't build a large scale plane in ages. Should make for an easier conversion than a D I know I need to switch spinners, props, reduce the radiator scoop, fill in the gun ports in the wings, and change the exhaust. Is that about it?

Thanks,
Dave
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 10:11 PM UTC
Hi Daveman,

Welcome aboard to the Luftwaffe build!

I don't know much about the Me109s, but I'm sure somebody here working on an Me 109 (Penny/Yodaman/Others) will be able to help you out.

Well, folks, I think it is about time we broke up this thread. It's notched up quite a lot of posts already, and we'll need to branch off from here. People who still want to sign up and want to know the rules can do so here.

What I'll do is, I'll create four different posts for each aircraft, so that people doing the same kit can cosy up and exchange notes and ideas for their kit. From now on, please post your q's and a's in those individual threads. OK? I'll be checking up on all threads, so as to see how you are progressing.

Fine then.. here we go...

BP.
MadMeex
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vaasa, Finland
KitMaker: 424 posts
AeroScale: 73 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 11:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

However, the plane that you have chosen doesn't come under any one of the four mentioned(FW190/Me109/Ju-88/Ju-87) in the rules. Since most of the people signing up for the build are going for one of these, please take your pick from them, and build that kit.

Ummm. Ooops. That's what I get for not reading carefully. Alright, we'll tuck that 177 back in the box and grab that JU-87 right next to it. I've been wanting to try out the weathered whitewash look anyway.
MGoddard
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 03:38 AM UTC
Thanks for the color codes BP ! Also, for the link
Ranger74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
AeroScale: 87 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 04:43 AM UTC
I guess I npw have an excuse to start my Heller M109B/C and/or Revell M106^ (1/32). though I do not have the instructions for the Revell kit (that's what I get for taking the kit from my brother after everyone left home).
 _GOTOTOP